hotfishgirl

How is your garden coming

Rate this topic

429 posts in this topic

33 mins ago, bob_G said:

My wife and I kept bees for years. We really enjoyed it, and we never had better gardens.  But it was getting tougher and tougher to winter over bees, so we threw in the towel. 

I've always wanted to give it a go.  One of my neighbors does and he has a hard time between disease, winter and predators.   I think at our next house we will give it a try. 

6 mins ago, skinnywater said:

I've always wanted to give it a go.  One of my neighbors does and he has a hard time between disease, winter and predators.   I think at our next house we will give it a try. 

Yup, I know it all too well. Things were fine for some time.  Then all sorts of diseases and  parasites showed up, probably brought in by commercial  bee keepers coming from  down south to pollinate our cranberry bogs. 

What really ended it for us was that "failure to thrive" thing.  The hives are doing fine in.mid summer, then gradually fail.  Going into winter we'd often have a couple thousand bees left, instead of the 50-100k needed to sustain the hive through the winter.

On 6/21/2021 at 8:49 AM, bob_G said:

7 gallon are fine I  use a few.  The tomatoes will firm a strong root ball. It's tough to overwater in felt pots. I usually count to 30 when watering my plants.

As for fish smell, no critters. The smell goes away quickly as the soil absorbs the fertilizer. 

The only critter that got attracted to my pots was the wife's new English Spring Spaniel pup; but after a few days she left them alone,:p 

1 hour ago, heyblue34 said:

Does anyone know what plant this is?

8240A719-EB71-42AF-B0D5-73EF7937F7B4.jpeg

DCFFFFCF-78E7-4624-8F19-037D81F9325F.jpeg

99EAAB69-E826-4722-B57A-B8E0DC9B5806.jpeg

It looks similar to my mystery plant which I think is a spaghetti squash. 

The last three days has been an all day event to keep everything watered well.I start at 430 and finished by noon. This week i gave each plant some organic miracle grow high nitrogen and the  plants have really taken off(weeds as well).

I will take some updated pictures today.

I also found out that our Maine coon cat chases deer away. This week i witnessed a deer trying to figure out how to get into the garden.

My maine coon blocked the deer and raised her back up. The deer started to lift its feet and pound them into the ground but it did not frighten my cat.The cat eventually took off after the deer and five minutes later came back with her mouth hanging open and panting hard.

yesterday's kill alone was three moles,a chipmunk,and a mouse.

3 mins ago, z-man said:

Check out how many mushrooms have started growing in my tomato pots. Should I leave them in there or pull them out?

F4FC62F6-B844-4A1B-8079-9FB49A7BE1D7.jpeg

I like your irrigation system.  But I thought you were using soft pots?

16 mins ago, bob_G said:

I like your irrigation system.  But I thought you were using soft pots?

I have 5 soft pots and then around 15 various plastic pots. 

On 6/27/2021 at 7:19 PM, bob_G said:

I'm concerned about pollination.  Many of my tomatoes are 5' tall, and covered in flowers.  However,  there's not a bee to been seen.  Is anyone else noticing this?

The Japanese beetles have ruined the lawn, but this reduces competition for the clover. I let it grow for a couple weeks. The other day had to cut it because the grandkids are coming over and the bees were all over it. Bumblers as well as honeybees. So many you could almost feel the buzzing! I left a couple patches at the edges for them to forage on. I'm in E. Ct. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, WorcBoy said:

Is it too late to get some Pumpkin plants going?

You won’t know until you try. They usually take 100+ days. You’d be pushing it, but given the current weather cycles, I’d say go for it, especially if you have vacant space. It definitely wouldn’t surprise me to see our first frost come in November. That said, I’d probably do a smaller variety.

Edited by JTR

A look out the front window at our peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes. We have some smaller containers in front for herbs, few more peppers. We’ve got 3 Rutgers tomato plants and have roughly 38 green tomatoes and plenty more on the way, which I feel like is pretty productive for 3 plants. The cucumbers and peppers are doing well too. It’s amazing seeing the week over week growth when we look back at other pictures.

65E77AA5-4CEE-4E9D-B585-3FC614132509.jpeg

03CC60BE-D03F-447B-9581-EFF3E9767400.jpeg