How is your garden coming

Rate this topic

hotfishgirl

9 hours ago, z-man said:

I’ve been googling the leaves of the various vegetables that may have been thrown in our compost pile. I think it might be spaghetti squash. I’m not sure if that will even grow to maturity but I’ll give it a chance. 

I bet it will.  We’ve had a little luck growing from seeds from store bought vegetables.  

I got a pepper 2 years ago from shaws that was great- I saved some seeds and it produced some really nice plants.  I tried it again with jalapeños but they didn’t germinate.  I think if it germinates then you’ll get good fruit.

The cucurbits are interesting beasties. They can pollinate over crazy distances. I have thrown  bad acorn squash on my compost pile some years ago and the plant that emerged next summer gave us squash from Mars, Never tried eating one - they were just repulsive/amusing to look at.

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the Canadians  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs

finally finished the fence!!!!!!!!  No more sleeping in a tent in the garden and always make the garden and build fence before planting 500 plants.

i was lucky and kept the deer away.I only lost two ghost pepper plants and i'm pretty sure that deer regretted it.

The plants have started to settle in and take off in growth.

P1070813.JPG

On 4/24/2021 at 8:43 PM, bob_G said:

I haven't done a thing yet.  We normally grow 60 tomatoes, all in 5 gallon buckets.  Our first project will be to replace all the 5 gallon buckets with 10 gallon felt buckets we bought a month ago.

We've got basil, dill and tomato growing in solo cups under a grow light.  Next week I'll till the raised beds and prepare the containers. 

Hi bob,

Do you put mulch at the top of your felt buckets and how often do you water in this weather?

Thanks

2 hours ago, K Foley said:

Hi bob,

Do you put mulch at the top of your felt buckets and how often do you water in this weather?

Thanks

No mulch.  If we only had a few plants we'd probably mulch. But switching over from 5 to 10 gallon pots was a real task, and I didn't want to add an additional  step. 

As for watering,  this time of year each plant gets a good soaking every other day. But as the heat and humidity increase in July and  August  often do daily watering, sometimes  twice daily during scorthers.   I also feed them once a week with a combo of  Alaskan Fish Fertilizer and Miracle Gro.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Ref: Hot peppers. My Dutch friend Haico could not find the Indo-Chinese/Suriname/etc hot sauces he was used to when he got to Canada so he began to grow his own peppers. Now has a hot sauce company and grows crazy (way too hot for me) stuff like Ghost/Scorpion/Reaper and Madame Jeanette, He has an entire acre of them next to a vineyard near here. Now that is a lot of hot stuff - I draw the line at jalapeno. Big fan of smoked dried powdered red Anaheims in chili. Jalapeno slices pickled in maple syrup and cider vinegar with ginger are nice on a cheese sandwich or on a skewer of BBQ large garlic butter basted shrimp. A lapaeno in with yr dill pickles adds a litlle zap to that burger.

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the Canadians  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs