hotfishgirl

How is your garden coming

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

This year i am going from a few potted plants outside my bedroom window to a 1 acre garden at my girlfriends place in Wareham.I have planted over 1000 plants from seeds.Some are doing great and others are well i may have to buy a few plants already started.

I am looking for a great source of killer dirt/manure in the wareham area???,  as i will need at least a few trucks full of good stuff.

i have a few led shop lights set up and plants anywhere that a plant eating old cat can't get to.

P1070592.JPG

35 mins ago, hotfishgirl said:

This year i am going from a few potted plants outside my bedroom window to a 1 acre garden at my girlfriends place in Wareham.I have planted over 1000 plants from seeds.Some are doing great and others are well i may have to buy a few plants already started.

I am looking for a great source of killer dirt/manure in the wareham area???,  as i will need at least a few trucks full of good stuff.

i have a few led shop lights set up and plants anywhere that a plant eating old cat can't get to.

P1070592.JPG

if you look close you can see a few hogs on the wall.

Thats a small farm, are you ready for the workload or do you have help? Will you be selling your plants or veggies? Not gonna be cheap to water and feed. I know a 16 x 25 foot space was enough for me to chew on, tomatoes, peppers, beans, squash, radishes, and some parsley, basil and lettuce was plenty of weeding and feeding. couldn't imagine an acre of it.

On the other side of the fence, I am not planting any vegetables for the first time in decades. Have decided battling the elements including animals and bugs, maintaining it on a daily basis, and waiting months for the reward, it is no longer necessary for me to slave over and the feeling of accomplishment is gone. 

I wish you a great season of weather and luck. I'll be buying from local farms this summer. 

1 hour ago, Highlander1 said:

Thats a small farm, are you ready for the workload or do you have help? Will you be selling your plants or veggies? Not gonna be cheap to water and feed. I know a 16 x 25 foot space was enough for me to chew on, tomatoes, peppers, beans, squash, radishes, and some parsley, basil and lettuce was plenty of weeding and feeding. couldn't imagine an acre of it.

On the other side of the fence, I am not planting any vegetables for the first time in decades. Have decided battling the elements including animals and bugs, maintaining it on a daily basis, and waiting months for the reward, it is no longer necessary for me to slave over and the feeling of accomplishment is gone. 

I wish you a great season of weather and luck. I'll be buying from local farms this summer. 

It doesn’t have to be a lot of work. I plant my seeds then have a drip irrigation set on a timer. I don’t really do much of anything except pick the veggies when ready. 

I haven't done a thing yet.  We normally grow 60 tomatoes, all in 5 gallon buckets.  Our first project will be to replace all the 5 gallon buckets with 10 gallon felt buckets we bought a month ago.

We've got basil, dill and tomato growing in solo cups under a grow light.  Next week I'll till the raised beds and prepare the containers. 

22 hours ago, bob_G said:

I haven't done a thing yet.  We normally grow 60 tomatoes, all in 5 gallon buckets.  Our first project will be to replace all the 5 gallon buckets with 10 gallon felt buckets we bought a month ago.

We've got basil, dill and tomato growing in solo cups under a grow light.  Next week I'll till the raised beds and prepare the containers. 

Where do you purchase both  buckets? 

Thanks 

Rrbf,

The 5 gallon buckets we're replacing are just old 5 gallon plastic pickles buckets. I never liked them, and hated the look.

My wife bought the felt buckets online.  Just Google, they're readily available. They range from 1-100 gallons.      

Plants do very well in them, and they're easy to move.  If you're looking to buy some closer to home, check out New England Hydroponics in Auburn. They have them in stock.

1 min ago, bob_G said:

Rrbf,

The 5 gallon buckets we're replacing are just old 5 gallon plastic pickles buckets. I never liked them, and hated the look.

My wife bought the felt buckets online.  Just Google, they're readily available. They range from 1-100 gallons.      

Plants do very well in them, and they're easy to move.  If you're looking to buy some closer to home, check out New England Hydroponics in Auburn. They have them in stock.

Thanks, 

What size for tomatoes? 

7 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Thanks, 

What size for tomatoes? 

Minimum 5 gallon.  7-10 is better. There really isn't much difference in price.

It’s going ok in spite of the cold snaps and freezing temps. 

Going to have to replace a couple of tomatoes and maybe all 6 zucchini though. 

14656871-8855-4DE7-8574-3D4D20A11106.jpeg.cf0c7fd7afd76782dd9b976705614d6a.jpeg

6A6685E8-5DC2-48F9-B7F2-78205CB2AD43.jpeg.5e91aff3dc09220916d234e01ceb72a2.jpeg

Raspberries and blueberries are doing well too. 

F5F37847-2303-4A3D-AF5A-98E352DC52C0.jpeg.cbb043627e598bb8f1075a2dc2f134b0.jpeg

6ED2DD57-F1E9-4C3C-8813-87E6E45BE5D3.jpeg.ccd16f805713d531251ff101d1efd499.jpeg

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Rrbf,

Do the felt buckets last multiple years or do you throw them out at the end of the season?