vce12342000

Looking for a GREAT pair of wading boots

28 posts in this topic

Im looking for a really GREAT pair of wading boots. Looking for felt bottoms with option to stud. I had 3 pairs of Patagonia's, 2 pairs of Simms. Im pretty hard on on them as I do alot of river walking. I must wear a pair down to the soles in about 2 seasons. Ive heard a few good things about korkers. But seen to many of those bottoms float down the rivers I fish:laugh::laugh: Whats everyone's experience & suggestions ?

176644659_451484236112973_5837507743878187163_n.jpg

177565179_451484286112968_1743941449140456921_n.jpg

I have the LL beans and still going about 6 years now.  Not felt soles some places they are illegal (md) 

I do have the simms as well with felt but they are starting to wear

I have the korkers devils canyon. Love them. Using them in saltwater and on sand for the past 7 years and the boa system still works fine, also never had any issues with the removable soles. The new korkers river ops looks like the best wading boot out right now imo

I have the Korker Buckskins and have worn out soles, in three seasons, never lost any. This season I have a new set of Felt/Carbide Spike soles, can't wait to try them out

FWIW

Once my current pair of Simms die, up next for me is the Danner/Patagonia Foot Tractor...

I had a pair of the old Danner suede leather felt bottoms purchased back in the late 90s, they lasted for 12 years. Sent them back to Danner once to have them resoled - recrafted. They finally died once the leather was destroyed in the toe. They were awesome! 

I would think the new ones should be similar and are designed to be resoled - recrafted as well.... 

E8F9ADA0-DB67-413F-9082-F823A763535E.jpeg

I have a pair of Redingtons that are about the best ones I've had. Definately the longest lasting and they've taken a beating and still in great shape. I've had these for about 4 years now and I fish year-round. They are sticky bottoms with goathead spikes. I originally got them for fishing in Maryland but I soon discovered that they're great for anywhere I go. I always used to wear felt bottoms but when I tried these sticky soles I got very good traction with them. The spikes are actually worn down by now to where they're probably not that effective and I still have better traction with these than with my felt bottom Simms.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The problem is that the manufacturers changed to synthetic felt when many of our rivers developed a Didymo algae problems. They synthetic felt supposedly dries faster and is less likely to spread the algae, however the synthetics do not hold up or wear like natural felts.

I wear out the felt on the bottom of G3 synthetic felt bottom boots in about a year and to compensate I added self tapping cleats. The cleats are grippy and reduce the wear on the felt.

When I contacted Simms about the boots they denied there was a problem with the new synthetic felt bottoms.

Yeah, right, don't believe your lying eyes.

Edited by Jay Blair

13 hours ago, Inshore said:

FWIW

Once my current pair of Simms die, up next for me is the Danner/Patagonia Foot Tractor...

I had a pair of the old Danner suede leather felt bottoms purchased back in the late 90s, they lasted for 12 years. Sent them back to Danner once to have them resoled - recrafted. They finally died once the leather was destroyed in the toe. They were awesome! 

I would think the new ones should be similar and are designed to be resoled - recrafted as well.... 

E8F9ADA0-DB67-413F-9082-F823A763535E.jpeg

Our local guides and fly shops have switched over to the Patagonias. I plan to try them the next time around.

43 mins ago, Jay Blair said:

Our local guides and fly shops have switched over to the Danners. I plan to try them the next time around.

FIFY.... LOL!

Back when they still made the River Grippers, they were viewed by many as the “gold standard” in wading boots... I know I loved mine. And all my other “Portland Manfactured” Danners as well....

Take a trip down memory lane... ROFL...

0E967017-1A1E-4DAB-AFF0-EEC92950F7DC.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

1 hour ago, Inshore said:

FIFY.... LOL!

Back when they still made the River Grippers, they were viewed by many as the “gold standard” in wading boots... I know I loved mine. And all my other “Portland Manfactured” Danners as well....

Take a trip down memory lane... ROFL...

0E967017-1A1E-4DAB-AFF0-EEC92950F7DC.jpeg

Back when men were men and felt was real felt LOL. 

Does Danner still use real felt?

Edited by Jay Blair

4 hours ago, Jay Blair said:

Does Danner still use real felt?

No idea.... :shrug:

But since they can be resoled, I say that’s a move in the right direction...

2 hours ago, Inshore said:

No idea.... :shrug:

But since they can be resoled, I say that’s a move in the right direction...

So can the Patagonia boots, however Sims no longer offers that service the last time I checked.

Edited by Jay Blair

14 mins ago, Jay Blair said:

So can the Patagonia boots,

That’s because they are Danners... Sorry for any confusion on this... :wee:

CA528F00-1F6B-47AD-8215-FA913A1EC58F.jpeg

Edited by Inshore