z-man

Missing Swimmer Ipswich

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Just saw on the news that there is a missing swimmer off Crane Beach. Isn’t the water like 45 degrees. Who swims in that?

This is sad.  Poor decision and heartbreaking outcome. 

I was out on quinsig breaking in a new outboard this week and all the rowing teams and their support boats have no PFD’s on. I though this was a MA requirement 9/15 - 5/15???

1 hour ago, ged said:

This is sad.  Poor decision and heartbreaking outcome. 

I was out on quinsig breaking in a new outboard this week and all the rowing teams and their support boats have no PFD’s on. I though this was a MA requirement 9/15 - 5/15???

I see that on the Charles all the time. The crew teams never wear PFDs and they are out there as soon as the ice melts. I guess they are above the law. 

Could be me, but I find this drowning off Cranes Beach just a tad odd. 

Pieces don't fit.  Cold, windy conditions....no wet suit.....2 mile round trip swim....backpack left on beach.....swimming across current.  

9 mins ago, Joe G said:

Could be me, but I find this drowning off Cranes Beach just a tad odd. 

Pieces don't fit.  Cold, windy conditions....no wet suit.....2 mile round trip swim....backpack left on beach.....swimming across current.  

I dunno.....I thought I was a pretty tough guy when I was 24.

I WAS a tough guy at 24.  Combat Diver with some years on the Team under my belt.  But in that temp - you have about 40 minutes to survive before your body locks up and you go under.  Physics/science doesn't care how tough you are - the water is an incredibly unforgiving environment.  Sounds like this guy wanted to die.  

The current rips through there pretty good. I think you'd have to be an elite swimmer to pull that swim off on a beautiful day in July, let alone in those conditions.  

This was a death sentence even with a wetsuit. No way. Add in not wearing a suit!?! Come on man something doesn’t add up. Sounds like suicide. 

Perhaps. Without a note or some other evidence, I'd be more inclined to lump it in with the folks who head up Mt. Washington in tennis shoes and a t-shirt and don't make it back down.

4 hours ago, JimP said:

Combat Diver with some years on the Team under my belt.  

Thanks for your Service. Congrats on doing so well with it.

42 mins ago, newcut said:

Perhaps. Without a note or some other evidence, I'd be more inclined to lump it in with the folks who head up Mt. Washington in tennis shoes and a t-shirt and don't make it back down.

I’d be inclined to agree except in this case, the kid had to have known the effects of cold temps on the body.  

Reports say that he was a lifeguard and a member of a swim team, so I have no doubt that he was familiar with hypothermia.  

It doesn’t seem respectful to speculate on the motive. It’s tragic that someone so young was lost.