bassturds

Weird fish species

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, oldgoat said:

trout in pleasant bay fifty years ago.

Not near any fresh water streams.

Wow that’s awesome. A goal of mine is to catch a weakfish. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, bassturds said:

Definitely try to get down there . Any shore fishing available close by?

As mentioned - 9/11 caused authorities to close access to the plant. However, I fished it the last late fall/early winter before access was closed and ran into December 'holdover' albies. They were right in the outflow of the plant and almost looked like salmon stuffed up in their spawning river, as well as in the immediate area just outside the flow (those in the latter category would be willing to hit a lure while the ones right in the outflow seemed to have lock jaw)...

When people discovered the albies were there, it became a real 'bleep' show. People were showing up with heavier surf gear and weighted treble hooks, snagging them like they were bunker. The fish were in so thick there, it wasn't uncommon to hook an albie, and at some point during the process of fighting it, have a second one get tail wrapped in your fishing line. It only happened with me once, but I witnessed that happening another half dozen times or so...So you'd end up catching 2 at the same time (if you were willing to count the tail wrapped fish as a 'catch')

Edit to add - as indicate, it was very crowded there once the word was out. There was one guy fly fishing with a crease fly and snagged another guy in the eye brow...less than an inch lower and that guy probably loses his eye

Edited by albacized

On 4/23/2021 at 11:36 AM, Sandbar1 said:

Seen some weird guys snorkeling rock piles as well.

Really weird to see'm snorkeling!  Most of our regulars just use their gills.

6 hours ago, z-man said:

@bassturds

Have you added weakfish to your species list yet? It sounds like there are some around in RI this year. 

Bucket list yes. Been meaning to put some effort in May. But it’s long shot. Lot of work but the reward is very high 

6 hours ago, JosephTree said:

Really weird to see'm snorkeling!  Most of our regulars just use their gills.

Well done, new guy. Thanks for the laugh. :laugh:

You know, when I really think on it, I don't think I've caught any of these weird transients and I'm a little bummed out about that. I've seen/caught some butterfish in Boston harbor near the USS Constitution (and the blues that were crushing them) and caught a pufferfish in a scallop dredge in Cape Cod Bay a couple decades ago, but that's it. Lame!

On 4/25/2021 at 11:10 AM, oldgoat said:

trout in pleasant bay fifty years ago.

Not near any fresh water streams.

On 4/25/2021 at 11:14 AM, bassturds said:

Wow that’s awesome. A goal of mine is to catch a weakfish. 

Sure he's talking about weakfish?

On 4/25/2021 at 10:20 AM, bassturds said:

Definitely try to get down there . Any shore fishing available close by?

I fished their from a boat years ago going for Tog in October with college buddies on the way by the plant they were like want to get some blues on top water, and my response was ahh yup. Went over warm water outflow type spot and were getting 8-10lb blues on every cast. My mind was blown that they knew blue fish would be stacked up their. 

For a few years now the juvenile bonita seem to be more common getting jigged up with mackerel on sabikis from North Shore MA up to Southern Maine. 

On 4/29/2021 at 0:36 AM, wishiniwuzfishin said:

Sure he's talking about weakfish?

I’d take a sea trout as well.   Caught them in Florida 

4 hours ago, BroadSoundBound said:

I fished their from a boat years ago going for Tog in October with college buddies on the way by the plant they were like want to get some blues on top water, and my response was ahh yup. Went over warm water outflow type spot and were getting 8-10lb blues on every cast. My mind was blown that they knew blue fish would be stacked up their. 

For a few years now the juvenile bonita seem to be more common getting jigged up with mackerel on sabikis from North Shore MA up to Southern Maine. 

Yea I’ve been hearing good reports. Caught one jiggin macks for tuna fishing last year on the bank.