bassturds

Weird fish species

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Anyone get some uncommon saltwater species last year?   I really need to go out and search for new uncommon species, like needlefish, triggers, banded rudders, Lizzard fish maybe a blue runner or small jacks.   
 I’m thinking  Sabiki rigs with small pieces of bait, Buzzards bay, RI

Exotics when the water gets super heated seem to be getting more common. Have caught blue runners and small jacks in the past while bonito fishing. 

A few years ago up on the Vineyard I caught some gag groupers and snowy grouper (both very small 5") and some jacks and runners. This was early October.

I’ve caught needlefish in the cast net netting peanuts for albies. They were chasing our epoxy jigs.   I got 2 spanish macks and northern king fish, but that’s my extent of uncommon visitors 

I've gotten into needles, banded rudders, lizard fish and unidentified jacks. Usually August and early September.

Seen some weird guys snorkeling rock piles as well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

36 mins ago, iputmyhoursin said:

I caught a bandit rudderfish last year, super cool looking fish amazing stripes and colors.

That’s wicked cool! Mind if I ask where? RI?  Buzzards bay or cape? How did you get them

Edited by bassturds

46 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

I've gotten into needles, banded rudders, lizard fish and unidentified jacks. Usually August and early September.

Seen some weird guys snorkeling rock piles as well.

That’s awesome!  I would love to catch all those species. Every year I say I’m going to give it a shot. 

52 mins ago, iputmyhoursin said:

Sure, it was in Rhody

Two seasons ago RI was loaded with banded rudders when chasing bones. Or I just got into the blitzes not sure which haha

I caught a trigger in cape cod bay off a paddleboard a few years ago and a blue runner off the same beach shore bound Aug 2 2018. 

Trigger was on a pc of squid around a rockpile trying for taug and the blue runner on a 4" gags whip it fish.

I have gotten a blue runner jigging a bucktail, Northern Sennet in RI (tiny barracuda) on an epoxy, triggerfish and northern puffer on crab, banded rudderfish on a bucktail. All RI and MA all August-October.

4 hours ago, bassturds said:

Anyone get some uncommon saltwater species last year?   I really need to go out and search for new uncommon species, like needlefish, triggers, banded rudders, Lizzard fish maybe a blue runner or small jacks.   
 I’m thinking  Sabiki rigs with small pieces of bait, Buzzards bay, RI

My boat sees all of those species in a given year as well as multiple blowfish and the occasional "northern stargazer". Triggers are quite common on crab baits for tog in the early fall and banded rudderfish are common when fishing for albies and bonito. 

While catching mahi-mahi on the offshore high flyers we sometimes connect with an oddity like an oceanic skip jack or one time we saw a tripletail (couldn't get it to bite...). I also "hear of" the occasional cobia, tarpon, red drum and black drum in Buzzards Bay and lets never forget the (though not a "fish") manatee that made it up here a few years back!