Gilbey

Cutting Granite

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I need to replace the cooktop in my kitchen. I can find a new one that will fit in the current opening, but the selection is VERY limited and not cheap, and even worse, lead time is 12 weeks. If I bought one off the floor at my appliance supply house I would need to trim the granite opening. I assume that could be done with an angle grinder and diamond blade which I have. Any suggestions one way or the other? DIY? Hire a professional? Or get the range top that fits in the opening? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, Gilbey said:

I need to replace the cooktop in my kitchen. I can find a new one that will fit in the current opening, but the selection is VERY limited and not cheap, and even worse, lead time is 12 weeks. If I bought one off the floor at my appliance supply house I would need to trim the granite opening. I assume that could be done with an angle grinder and diamond blade which I have. Any suggestions one way or the other? DIY? Hire a professional? Or get the range top that fits in the opening? 

I had to do the exact same once upon a time, and thats exactly what I did.  As I remember, I treated it like fiberglass, taped over the cut to prevent any unwanted chipping (a real concern or not, who knows?) and laid out my lines on the tape

Be forewarned and prepared for an unholy dusty mess

Edited by makorider

If you are familiar with using a grinder you can lightly rest a wet sponge on the blade while cutting keeps the dust down to a minimum. If your not familiar be aware they can kick.

3 hours ago, makorider said:

Be forewarned and prepared for an unholy dusty mess

And it's dust you don't want anyone to inhale...

I recently cut a client's granite countertop with my grinder. Held both the grinder and wet vac hose with my two hands and barely made any mess. 

Thanks all. My wife just needs to make the call on the cooktop now. Of course we went to the appliance store on Saturday and now she's thinking of removing the cabinets and putting in a full oven. :o 

Here is a beauty of a mistake. At least It was in MY house. Renovated kitchen after 14 years.... Granite guys come in to measure. New downdraft oven sitting in the kitchen, just positioned on opposite wall, not in its home....We all missed that the stove should have been slid into place....  I had to have the installers come and cut recess to allow us to install oven. Yes, it was a dusty mess even holding two vacs as close to the grinder. But I had them do it.

4 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Thanks all. My wife just needs to make the call on the cooktop now. Of course we went to the appliance store on Saturday and now she's thinking of removing the cabinets and putting in a full oven. :o 

You mean a full range to have a 2nd oven since you presumably already have a wall oven somewhere? It's crazy those wall ovens cost so much more than a range!

Yes, we are talking a full range and oven.  We have a wall oven already. I cook a lot, she likes to bake, and in "normal" times we host all holiday meals and other parties in between, so we could use another oven. It would me we would lose two large drawers which currently store all our pots and pans though. 

12 weeks is nuts.  Both our suppliers turn it around in a week from templating.

I assume you were looking at a remnant piece and not a full slab?

The 12 week lead time is for the stove. I don't need granite......unless I REALLY screw up the trimming! :o 

FWIW, if you do go full range last year we got a reasonably priced Frigidaire slide in range with convection and air fry that we REALLY like! Amazing oven fried taters. Has a big power burner too.