natejeep

Saltwaters VS repair turnaround time

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Didn’t Ron and Z baas disappear for a while on repairs and answering the phone?

I guess it’s honest and accurate if you just ignore your customers for awhile.

Well this thread is certainly derailing now...

I wasn’t trying to have this turn into a bashing of any kind.. just wondering how their turnaround times have been for others. 

24 mins ago, natejeep said:

Well this thread is certainly derailing now...

I wasn’t trying to have this turn into a bashing of any kind.. just wondering how their turnaround times have been for others. 

One thing the service centers can’t always control is their parts supply. I would recommend calling before you send in a reel that the shop has enough parts to service your reel. 

I personally prefer to service my reels, and I buy my parts from Q at Rivers End. If I did send a reel out I would send it there. 

I just don’t have experience with SW, but based on this thread they are not accurate in their service time. VS reels are very simple to service. 

Mike at saltwaters does a great job in the past I’ve always had a month wait with a week or two tied up in shipping. If you talk to him he will give you a fairly accurate time. The way around this is that I own more than one VS and ZB and do most of my own maintenance now. So if a reel happens to go down I’m still fishing! 

5 hours ago, li_bass_hunter said:

Saltwaters is a great shop but i was not happy with my last service there two seasons ago. The guy Bert who used to do the reels doesn’t work there anymore and the owner of the shop Mike now services the reels. This past season I brought my VS to white water outfitters, another great shop and great turnaround time. I believe it only took 2-3 weeks for a full service

Anyone know where Bert went? He was awesome. Reel's always came back with a personal touch. He would even reverse the line if you sent it in with a full spool or made up the diff with a blood knot and he would reverse it so the knot was buried.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, Bob C. said:

Anyone know where Bert went? He was awesome. Reel's always came back with a personal touch. He would even reverse the line if you sent it in with a full spool or made up the diff with a blood knot and he would reverse it so the knot was buried.

Someone told me he is still doing reels through Facebook. 

Edited by li_bass_hunter

1 hour ago, Bob C. said:

Heard he was at Saltwaters for a bit after White water. Not sure now. He did a great job on my reel and taught me about humping the line.

Hello everyone,

This is Mike from Saltwaters Tackle. Nathan, you can always call to check status of reels, we don't mind and are happy to give an update. They will be ready this morning as well as anyone else that sent in up till 3/10/21 baring any parts issues.

First: Current turn around time is 6 weeks with available parts. Right now is the absolute the busiest we are during the year for reel repair and can not sacrifice quality and rush. It is was it is, but know they will be done correctly.

-General service parts for VR series reels have just become available of 4/16 being out of stock since January.
-General service parts and other parts for VM series reels are not currently available.
-General service part for the VS series Side cover oil seal has been out of stock since end of February and is still not available. We ran out of these 3 weeks ago, Craig did give us a few yesterday 4/23 to get us back going and we hope to hold us till they become available again.

Understand we are a warranty center and warranty reels take presidency VR50 gear kits arrived the start of this month which have not been available since November 20'. We had many many reels waiting to be repaired under warranty and that needed to be completed as these customers have been waiting months for the repair. This set us back 3 weeks.

This is how our system works: No matter the VS, we repair based on date and availability of parts. If we receive a reel on 4/1 and parts are not available, we shelf the reel. We continue to repair reels received that parts are available for till that part becomes available. So if we are currently working on 4/15 reels and parts come in for that 4/1 reel we are going to stop working on 4/15 reels and repair the reels that parts arrived for. This is the only fair way to complete repairs.

Hope this helps everyone understand, the above is all fact, any questions please give us a call 631-539-9422 - Mike

Perhaps having a google docs tracker with updates similar to what Jamie at Flatlander uses would be helpful to your customers. You obviously already track the status of each repair so it may be possible to share a link to a document so customers can see the status as it changes.  

I understand that it can be frustrating waiting on parts, but if customers don’t get accurate updates from you then we end up with threads like this. 

1 hour ago, ged said:

Perhaps having a google docs tracker with updates similar to what Jamie at Flatlander uses would be helpful to your customers. You obviously already track the status of each repair so it may be possible to share a link to a document so customers can see the status as it changes.  

I understand that it can be frustrating waiting on parts, but if customers don’t get accurate updates from you then we end up with threads like this. 

I personally don’t think this thread is bad, the original poster was asking a question, he doesn’t have an issue. Threads like this allow for us to explain the situation so everyone has an understanding.

We give an accurate as possible time frame when asked for one and are pretty close 95% of the time.

Remember we are 4-6 weeks out during the busiest time of the year, most of the year less then a week. 

30 mins ago, MMSaltwaters said:

I personally don’t think this thread is bad, the original poster was asking a question, he doesn’t have an issue. Threads like this allow for us to explain the situation so everyone has an understanding.

We give an accurate as possible time frame when asked for one and are pretty close 95% of the time.

Remember we are 4-6 weeks out during the busiest time of the year, most of the year less then a week. 

Moral of the story don’t get your reel serviced in March.

I dropped my reels off at SWT in January and was asked if they need be rushed. I said no, and got them back in 6 or so weeks which was fine by me.  Thanks Mike.