FEW3

Dragged Dad out

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I didnt really " drag him out ", but he didn't hit the canal down the street but two or three times last year. He hasn't even hit the range in over 2 years. My daughter stayed there last night and he called me around 2:30 and asked if I wanted to bring them fishing at a spot. I said " no, bubs got swim at 4:00.

Well Bub coughed and sneezed so I called dad back and said it wasn't a good idea for him to go to practice but we should go to the spot that is great for earlies and holdovers.

I already told him the spot had shifted multiple times since his cancer diagnosis benched him 3 years ago. 

So I went to pick him and my daughter up and it ( as always whether trout or stripers ) took him an hour of picking through plug bags full of rusted trebles and  pencils, plugs and friggin Sand eels and paddle tails I would have tossed years ago. Everytime he takes an hour picking out stuff, changing leaders, test casting in his driveway, etc. I honked the horn and he said " I have my license printout somewhere in my map books. His ****ing map books!!. Who has those, honestly, the dude has maps and map books littering his car. And it reeks of oysters an bubble weed.

The kids proceed to beat the carp out of each other in the car and I tell him we need to go. He told me to hold on because he wants his license. I told him " it's on your friggin phone or email " . Well dad doesn't like that " technology " apparently so he got the stupid printout and put it in those old school plastic things. 

We got to the spot and there are two walks to the estuary and I asked him and he wanted to avoid the sand trek . No problem. I wanted to warn him his darling grand-daughter hates that route and says it smells like farts. He can't hear anything and doesn't care anyhow.

We made the turn on the estuary and my timining was way off. I looked at my app and calculated the time before pole 115 on the canal against plymouth harbor. 

My Dad pulls this book from his wranglers and says" it's still low ed,  estuaries don't work like your app".

He was actually right. Once we turned the bend, Grammpy came alive like I haven't seen in ages. This spot changes monthly, and yearly.  He came alive in a way I haven't seen in years. He was watching every ripple of current and that was it, my Dad is back as of today.  I reminded him the lot gets shut down in May and you'll get towed if you park in front of the gate. 

My Dad did his weird laugh and said " I fish at night and have been parking in front of it for years."

20210421_165014.jpg

20210421_163216.jpg

20210421_170204.jpg

Good medicine for all, don't sweat the small stuff and most of it is small stuff. And Dads are special people, lost mine 3 years ago, miss him everyday, Mom too she passed 5 months after him. Be grateful and happy you still have the chance. And good for Dad.

Puts me in the right frame of mind to be going up to visit my old man this weekend. He just turned 80 yesterday. Only seen my parents once in person since covid. 

We're planning a trip up to northern Maine in June. He's pretty excited about it. I think he views it as a last hurrah with his boys.

11 hours ago, FEW3 said:

He wore his Hoodie because " it's cold"  it was 60° lmaof

FEW3 great read and something your pops will appreciate for what time he may have left to be able to fish with his son and granddaughter one more time. Understanding how your father is feeling it was good for you to give him another trip of memories he will recall as he continues his fight with cancer. All is good for him when you provided another positive experience that enriches his body and soul by doing it. Peace and Prayers

Great post!  My dad introduced me to fishing as a young boy.  Later in my mid 20s I got back into fishing and started fly fishing because I remembered him telling me stories about riding his bike to another town with a little brookie stream and using a fly rod he got as a gift for tying flies for fishing friends of my grandfather.  He turns 80 this May and is still excited about getting out to fish:). I picked him up at the airport yesterday (coming back home after wintering in FL) and much of our conversation was about water levels, stocking reports, water temps and when/where we would be fishing together first.  He wants to get his own kayak to join me kayak fishing too.  It’s great to spend time with your dad.  I like to take him out much like he used to take me out.  Thank you for sharing such a great post. Fishing is how my dad and I talk to each other.  It is much more than just “fishing”.

Never having the chance to watch my old man grow old all I have to say is enjoy.  Even the parts you find annoying enjoy every moment. God bless.