Fergal

NY Commercial Fisherman Bust

Rate this topic

145 posts in this topic

46 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I seriously doubt its "millions of pounds" of fish. Remember the days before there were minimum sizes for fluke? Back then everyone used to cut the first fish on the boat for  strip baits. I wonder if a lot of people still do that. If they did, with over 8 million fluke fishing trips, that's a lot of fish. That could be millions of pounds of poached fish. 

This is one of the looniest statements ever made in SOL.  Can’t possibly be made with a straight face. 

19 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Obviously you don't have many Asian fishing buddies. The sushi/sashimi spreads some of the guys put together on the boat are amazing.

True.  The DEC busted a few Long Island party boats a few years ago for their "sushi cruises" starring short fluke.

Newsday had a good writeup about it at the time,

18 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I seriously doubt its "millions of pounds" of fish. Remember the days before there were minimum sizes for fluke? Back then everyone used to cut the first fish on the boat for  strip baits. I wonder if a lot of people still do that. If they did, with over 8 million fluke fishing trips, that's a lot of fish. That could be millions of pounds of poached fish. 

New Jersey enforcement working undercover busted the Big Mohawk out of Belmar for doing just that a while ago.

7 mins ago, CWitek said:

New Jersey enforcement working undercover busted the Big Mohawk out of Belmar for doing just that a while ago.

The capt was on the Save The Summer Flounder group (something like that) at the time. 

7 mins ago, Drew C. said:

The capt was on the Save The Summer Flounder group (something like that) at the time. 

The Save the Summer Flounder Fishery Fund.  I believe that he resigned immediately thereafter.

2 mins ago, CWitek said:

The Save the Summer Flounder Fishery Fund.  I believe that he resigned immediately thereafter.

yes he did

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

What he wanted was everyone else to save the flounder so there were more for him to catch and sell. :laugh:

On 4/22/2021 at 6:10 AM, Drew C. said:

think about that, average of 2lbs per fish, that’s 37k fish removed ‘unknowingly’ removed from the stock. There’s no accounting for that in the management side. 

also, how many rec limits is that and how long would it take to land that?

This, Carlos Rafael (sp?) - it’s more than fair to says that it’s a widespread and severe problem. 

This in itself should be a reason why the authorities should have colossal fines......COLOSSAL ....for such criminal acts.  Why is it so hard for legislators to introduce and PASS hard, deep fines to punish and financially devastate those who commit such acts of selfish greed?

Laws and fines have to be hard and substantial so as to make ANYONE think twice!!

On 4/22/2021 at 11:19 AM, MakoMike said:

Well, you can't lie about a tag, either the fish has one attached to it, or it doesn't. Fish without tags can't be sold.

This only applies to honest fisherman and honest restaurants.  I have worked in enough restaurants to know that back door sales happen all the time and not just commercial guys either.

7 mins ago, Shake-n-Bake said:

This only applies to honest fisherman and honest restaurants.  I have worked in enough restaurants to know that back door sales happen all the time and not just commercial guys either.

I saw all sorts of stuff at my college restaurant job - tuna, fluke, Bass. Fresh fish of the day!