Captain Ahab

Beltzville carbon county

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I live about 20 minutes.  I know there are striper

 

Anyone fish there?   Tips tricks or spots (via PM) will be returned in kind.

 

Looking to shorten my learning cove

 

Also how is cast netting the alewives?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I live about 20 minutes.  I know there are striper

 

Anyone fish there?   Tips tricks or spots (via PM) will be returned in kind.

 

Looking to shorten my learning cove

 

Also how is cast netting the alewives?

I haven't fished it in years.

I fished it a lot in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

Never found good fishing.

Back in that late 70's there was a drought and they used that opportunity to lower the lake and make repairs.

Dumb idiots even smoothed out the bottom.

Most of the bottom is as smooth as a parking lot.

I photographed the lake at the time so I'd know where the structure was.

Not much.

I'm not sure if the PFBC added structure but if they did there would be maps on the PFBC WEB site.

There are for other lakes I normally fish.

In the main area of the lake there are some humps.  Around where the power lines cross over.

I believe some depressions there as well as they removed some large rocks during the drawdown.

In the Pine Run arm there are some rocky ledges with some rock rubble at the bottom.

Should ask if you have a boat.  (You had better if you are using Captain in your forum name.)

I haven't been on there with a newer sonar but should be easy to find if you have one.

 

My experience with Alewives in PA lakes is that they generally run the mid lake in large schools.

Only chance to net is during the spawn.

On some lakes you can see schools (on sonar) that are hundreds of yards long.

Some of these schools are so large you start to think the sonar is bad.

I haven't had a lot of luck in PA on lake stripers but generally you would find a school on sonar and then troll spoons or plugs.

With a good sonar you can see the stripers suspended along the edges of the bait school.

 

 

 

 

Link to Beltzville habitat map.

 

 

 

bmap.png

Edited by Steve_in_PA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Steve

 

Yes I have a boat - good sonar.

 

I have cast netted the alewives at Nock and Blue Marsh   - Nock is easy, they are frigging everywhere it seems, even blind casting in shallows works

 

Will let ya know 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

Thanks Steve

 

Yes I have a boat - good sonar.

 

I have cast netted the alewives at Nock and Blue Marsh   - Nock is easy, they are frigging everywhere it seems, even blind casting in shallows works

 

Will let ya know 

I used to fish Beltzville a lot when I lived in Allentown.

Now the Nock is my "home" lake.

 

All those alewives in there spread out the bass.

The lake has a lot of nutrients.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only fished there once. About a good 1.5 hours away from me. Trolling and jigging seem to be the best bet at stripers on the lake. I know good spot is to the left of the pine run boat launch out on the main lake. Take a look at the depth map. You will see a large flat that is 14-24ft of water not far from the bank but is surrounded by steep drop offs on three sides. That's where I would start. I know it is a different lake but a buddy of mine was out this past weekend on Nox and the stripers/hybrids were schooled up in about 20-25ft of water. He got a bunch just slow trolling a diving rapala. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cec127 said:

I have only fished there once. About a good 1.5 hours away from me. Trolling and jigging seem to be the best bet at stripers on the lake. I know good spot is to the left of the pine run boat launch out on the main lake. Take a look at the depth map. You will see a large flat that is 14-24ft of water not far from the bank but is surrounded by steep drop offs on three sides. That's where I would start. I know it is a different lake but a buddy of mine was out this past weekend on Nox and the stripers/hybrids were schooled up in about 20-25ft of water. He got a bunch just slow trolling a diving rapala. 

I think a lot of people at the Nock don't really know what depth their lure is when trolling.

The fish are often suspended down 20' and I bet most lures being trolled are only a few feet deep.

Probably common on other lakes as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friend was dam keeper.  Had access to the cove.  Shot many carp with the bow. And when the trout stocking trucks showed up it was like a dinner bell for the stripers.   Almost like they could hear the truck pulling up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member