New yota

White Braid

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Twenty five years ago when I started recreational boat fishing, Sam at Sam's bait in Middletown, RI was my mentor, for although having commercially fishing for decades (that was how I met Sam when he came down to the dock looking for fresh bait), I had done little in rod and reel fishing. We were talking principally about offshore fishing, but Sam was a big supporter of Jerry Brown hollow core and that is what I used. I once called that company and Jerry himself picked up the phone and we talked for about a half hour, a real easy helpful individual.  I will never forget he said that he had the same braided line on his off shore reels for 20 years. I have used his line over the years with 0 line issues. I have used different JB color lines, and the white color is the easiest hollow core splice line. Thus, I always preferred white for it is softer and therefore lays well. I am hard pressed to use any other color, based on prior trials, and that all the presentations have mono to floral as the end point.  I must admit that the price on the JB line today is up there, but thankfully my stockpile will out live my needs. I vote White ...all the time...the other colors is all **** added to the original white that are not a line quality improvement and make no difference unless you have vision problems..

17 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I bought a used reel with some "white" braid on it. I love it a lot and would love to try to figure out what it is.

I prefer mono but I've found a white braid I like. Actually it not white it's uncolored. So it's white. So no gummy goo on the levelwind eye or guides from spooling it on. It's Yozuri but under their Duel Hardcore brand name. It's called Super8 Micro Pitch Braid.

1 hour ago, Mlima5 said:

I have white Berkley x9 on one of my fluking rods and havent had any issues with it 

I bought some on sale. My inly gripe is the line felt stiff after being in salt, and it rinse all my gear after every trip.

Not gonna lie. A few times I was really lazy and just dunked them in my pool but I cant see that small amount of chlorine affecting the line that much.

Other than that, i liked it and it is still spooled on my reel

10 hours ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

I used white J braid last season and wasnt a fan. Color got dirty fast and I got a lot of wind knots.

I love suffix 832, great line IMO

That was my experience with going from 832 to J Braid too, plus a couple break offs.. I felt like it was soaking up a lot of water and that’s what I credited some of the knots to - as it dried it would stick to itself and I got some of the worst wind knots ever with that stuff. Needless to say I went back to 832 after a few of those trips.

16 mins ago, Tyger92 said:

That was my experience with going from 832 to J Braid too, plus a couple break offs.. I felt like it was soaking up a lot of water and that’s what I credited some of the knots to - as it dried it would stick to itself and I got some of the worst wind knots ever with that stuff. Needless to say I went back to 832 after a few of those trips.

were you using the x8, x4, or J braid grand?

I primarily use white because I can see it best, especially at night. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference on bites but when it comes to spanish mackerel season I take it off because it becomes a major liability with fish attacking the knot. 

On 4/21/2021 at 7:29 PM, olvart said:

Suffix 832,hands down my favorite.

Been running it for years with 0 failures.

^^^This, me too from 20 to 50#. 

On 4/21/2021 at 6:42 PM, Tl1987 said:

Gets dirty quick 

Not 832, at least not in my experience to any degree that matters when fished in the surf.