coastalfreak

Shimano Spheros SW vs Daiwa Saltist vs Penn Spinfisher

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Looking to purchase a new reel in the 4000-5000 range for jetty fishing redfish, trout, sheepshead, drum, flounder, all that jazz.  I was looking at the reels listed above and were curious to see which one you would choose to put on a 7’6” or 8’ rod, either a heavy inshore rod like a Teremar or a light surf rod like a Tsunami. I was going to go BG but I feel like some sealing would be very nice. 

I would also probably use this reel for bait fishing from the kayak. 

While smoothness is always nice, durability is something very important to me for then type of fishing I do. 

Any thoughts?

Edited by coastalfreak

The saltist is essentially a mag-sealed BG and honestly isn't worth the money and hassle dealing with a magsealed reel at the price point. Spheros SW and Spinfisher VI are both sealed reels but if you want absolute durability to go for the spinfisher vi. It's not going to have as much cranking power as a BG but a lot of kayak anglers have put it through the works and it's done well.

To give you an example. EliasVfishing abused the hell out of his Spinfisher VI 2500 on big bull redfish for a season and it's still working like superb. One season of fishing for this guy is like 5 years of stress on the reel of a standard weekend angler.

Edited by Inception

56 mins ago, Inception said:

The saltist is essentially a mag-sealed BG and honestly isn't worth the money and hassle dealing with a magsealed reel at the price point. Spheros SW and Spinfisher VI are both sealed reels but if you want absolute durability to go for the spinfisher vi. It's not going to have as much cranking power as a BG but a lot of kayak anglers have put it through the works and it's done well.

To give you an example. EliasVfishing abused the hell out of his Spinfisher VI 2500 on big bull redfish for a season and it's still working like superb. One season of fishing for this guy is like 5 years of stress on the reel of a standard weekend angler.

Interesting, thanks for your feedback. I wondered why the Saltist wasn’t super popular and I reckon that’s why.

How does the cranking power of the Spheros compare to the SSV?

31 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Interesting, thanks for your feedback. I wondered why the Saltist wasn’t super popular and I reckon that’s why.

How does the cranking power of the Spheros compare to the SSV?

I'm not familiar with the gear sizes but I reckon they're about the same. just the difference is CNC gearing in the SSVI vs the Cold forged gearing in the Spheros SW.

If you asked me this last year I would have said saltist, but the durability of that reel left a lot to be desired. 

One thing to keep in mind. All of these 4000-5000 size reels are not equal with regards to the line capacity. I don’t know the weights off the top of my head either. I think like others have mentioned, for sheer durability the spinfisher will be hard to beat. 

Refinement wise the daiwa and the shimano will have an edge. But if you decide to go the daiwa route, I would say definitely take a look at the regular BG, it is essentially a saltist without the mag seal but is an absolutely fantastic reel for the under $200 price point. Great line lay, smooth, great drag, and has held up well.

for 200$ the spheres SW is a fantastic reel that is fully sealed. Having a ton of experience with it I would highly recommend the spheros sw. the spin fisher is pretty good too but I like smooth reels and tend to avoid penns for that reason lol. Its also very easy to service the spheros if youre into that

On 4/21/2021 at 5:50 PM, camilos_garage said:

Fyi there are some “sweet” deals on non US Spheros ($130-150), the catch is their main gear is not cold forged, hence it may be less durable.

How do you tell if it's the Japanese or the US version? 

21 mins ago, tcarroll said:

How do you tell if it's the Japanese or the US version? 

I think is hard to tell, the smaller ones have a space carved in the handle. I would just buy from a US Authorized seller.

Edited by camilos_garage

2 mins ago, camilos_garage said:

I would buy from a US Authorized seller

I guess I should have been more specific.

I bought a new, in the box, reel from a member on this site a few years back. Didn't realize at the time there was two different versions.

Just wondering how to tell which version it is.

54 mins ago, tcarroll said:

I guess I should have been more specific.

I bought a new, in the box, reel from a member on this site a few years back. Didn't realize at the time there was two different versions.

Just wondering how to tell which version it is.

Just checked Alan's Hawk website and the tell tale is the handle. The US has a solid handle, the non US version handle has split handle, meaning it has a a carved hole.

Capture.JPG

4 mins ago, camilos_garage said:

Just checked Alan's Hawk website and the tell tale is the handle. The US has a solid handle, the non US version handle has split handle, meaning it has a a carved hole.

Capture.JPG

Thanks so much.

Looks like it's the US version.

I've been happy with the 5000 stradic FL on the 8ft black hole Suzuki for jetty stuff.

The 4500 spinfisher vi live liner is pretty cool if you plan on soaking bait with circle hooks. 

For rods, I'd also give the J&H dark matter inshore a pretty strong look

On 4/21/2021 at 2:42 PM, coastalfreak said:

I was looking at the reels listed above and were curious to see which one you would choose to put on a 7’6” or 8’ rod, either a heavy inshore rod like a Teremar or a light surf rod like a Tsunami.

You should take a look at the Jigging World Onyx. similar to the Tsunami Airwave and a little cheaper. They come in 8 and 9 feet.