CentralMAsurfcaster

Land-Based Tautog Fishing Advice

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2021 at 9:14 AM, CentralMAsurfcaster said:

Good morning everyone,

I have been surfcasting for a while but had never targeted tautog before up until yesterday and was hoping for some advice. When fishing for tautog from shore, more specifically from a jetty, where do you believe it is best to place your casts? Is it best to have your bait very close to the rocks where there is a drop-off or a bit further out? And typically, how long do you let your bait soak before moving/casting elsewhere? I’m primarily a striped bass fisherman so letting bait sit and not casting far out just seems counter intuitive. Any nuggets of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, I would like to hook up with a few this spring.

You can catch keeper tog from in between the rocks without casting, or you can cast to the shelf drop or any larger rocks you see near the drop off. Both will hold fish. It’s a little more fun to cast but dropping into holes can produce fish after fish. 

It is all about the structure or take a look at Google maps for boulder fields. I have better luck dropping in a hole vs casting and remember to bring extra gear because you will lose some lol.

If using crab don’t forget to let them bite a few times before trying to set the hook but depending on the hole you can actually see them go after the bait 

What hooks do u folks like?

Particularly size.  Bait would be whatever crabs I can find (Asian, green, hermit)    I've got some 1/0 Mustad baitholder. Too big?

I'm hopin to go out Columbus day weekend.  I think CT season starts that Monday. 

Currently 1/0 Gami octopus which also catches small tog and seabass. If bigger tog seem to move in I'll switch to 2/0 for larger crab chunks to expose more hook.

3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Particularly size.  Bait would be whatever crabs I can find (Asian, green, hermit)    I've got some 1/0 Mustad baitholder. Too big?

I'm hopin to go out Columbus day weekend.  I think CT season starts that Monday. 

I like 4/0 owner Akis.

Stronger and more $$ -- I hate hooks with flex and shank twist.

On a rocky bottom....

Cast and sit. Move and you're hung up. This is a good tog spot. Depending on location, of course. 

I like moving water.  Depth / current = weight choice. I use a bank sinker in rock structure and egg in spring on mussel beds. Let the sinker roll - rod tip high, till you hang up. Don't pull, just wait for hit and hook it. You'll pull free with a fish on most of the time.

On 9/27/2021 at 1:19 PM, Salsbucktails said:

You can catch keeper tog from in between the rocks without casting, or you can cast to the shelf drop or any larger rocks you see near the drop off. Both will hold fish. It’s a little more fun to cast but dropping into holes can produce fish after fish. 

Best advice on this thread. You'd be surprised at high tide dropping almost between your legs what will come out. Caught a fair share of keeper fish this way from rocks. Also if you get one this way there's typically more. 

5 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

5/0-7/0 gamakatsu octopus or octopus circle. I like buffet style. Slays em