CentralMAsurfcaster

Land-Based Tautog Fishing Advice

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Wind and tide play a huge role from shore. Depending on time of year outgoing tides can produce a lot better. 3/0 gamakatsu hook and 2-4oz lead for most places. Don’t be afraid to move around but give every spot like 15-20mins( hitting the same spot with bait Will chum up that water).

good luck

I do a lot of Tog fishing from jetties. 
First thing I try is dropping in holes close to jetty. Keep bouncing sinking until you feel in drop deeper than surrounding depth. After that I’ll make shorter casts still near rocks. Anytime I try to cast out to further rocky areas the angle of my line is such that I get hung up on most every cast. You will tired of re-riggging, that’s what usually sends me home. Bring lots of hooks and sinkers. 

On 4/21/2021 at 0:21 PM, Stryper Snyper said:

I see you are in MA so this advice may be not conducive to your area.   

1.  White cotton gloves.  Must wear them.

2.  Bucket of asian crabs.

3. Poultry sheers to cut up the crabs from the white bucket. (Required to leave the trimmings on the sidewalk)

4. You must walk up and fish within 5 feet of someone throwing lures.

5. Your reel must cost over $500

6. Your rod must be of sufficient stature that said rod / reel can balance perfectly on the railing along the jetty / inlet while unattended.

7. Don't take your trash with you when you are leaving.  Please place it in the bag from your favorite store and tie it to the railing or the fence.

PS.   You also have to smoke like a chimney and throw the buts in the water.   Also helps if you have a herd of kids running around like crazy behind you.

Just a few tips.   :worms:

Sadly this made me laugh.  Sounds like my local fishing spots...

On 4/21/2021 at 0:09 PM, CentralMAsurfcaster said:

Thank you for your reply. I went yesterday and to two spots and didn’t even have my bait stolen once. I casted next to big, partially submerged boulders in the surf, I tried dropping the bait right where the jetty dropped off (like 10-15 feet in front of me), and I tried casting it out 30-40 feet out from the jetty. I didn’t tried casting into the middle of the channel (one of the places I was at was a breachway). I’m just trying to come up with a game plan for next week. I want to make sure I’m at least putting my bait roughly in the right place. 

You might be at the right  spot, but its too early in MA

Looking to get into tog fishing this year from shore... Last year was fishing one of my spots for stripers and had a gentlemen set up near me for tog.. the next week I went back and he had told me he caught his PB there the prior week which has gotten me interested in trying..

I've done some research online on how-to but I'm pretty stuck on what kind of rod to use. I currently only have 9 ft + surf rods that are rated 1 oz + and most of them are moderate action. I will be using tog jigs and most likely my vs150.. Looking for some recommendations on a rod that would work well with the 150 + tog jigs on the lighter side.

I'm a fan of ODM rods and was thinking of picking up a 8 ft genesis or possibly a DNA but not sure if either would be a good rod for jigging for tog. Wouldn't mind a rod that I could also use for light tackle targeting stripers in early spring and possibly albies in the fall as none of my surf rods throw under an ounce well. Obviously might be tough/impossible to find a rod that'll do all 3 well so hoping some folks on here could give me some pointers. TIA.

Edited by natejeep

tog from shore is not that hard, cast close, tog love structure and rocks. You may be able to find a hole between 2 rocks and limit out of that spot.

I fish and dive for togs. Most are found near shore or jetties. 

If your not losing rigs, your not fishing in the right spot for tog.

13 mins ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

tog from shore is not that hard, cast close, tog love structure and rocks. You may be able to find a hole between 2 rocks and limit out of that spot.

I fish and dive for togs. Most are found near shore or jetties. 

If your not losing rigs, your not fishing in the right spot for tog.

What action/length/weight kinda rod do you typically use?

1 hour ago, natejeep said:

Looking to get into tog fishing this year from shore... Last year was fishing one of my spots for stripers and had a gentlemen set up near me for tog.. the next week I went back and he had told me he caught his PB there the prior week which has gotten me interested in trying..

I've done some research online on how-to but I'm pretty stuck on what kind of rod to use. I currently only have 9 ft + surf rods that are rated 1 oz + and most of them are moderate action. I will be using tog jigs and most likely my vs150.. Looking for some recommendations on a rod that would work well with the 150 + tog jigs on the lighter side.

I'm a fan of ODM rods and was thinking of picking up a 8 ft genesis or possibly a DNA but not sure if either would be a good rod for jigging for tog. Wouldn't mind a rod that I could also use for light tackle targeting stripers in early spring and possibly albies in the fall as none of my surf rods throw under an ounce well. Obviously might be tough/impossible to find a rod that'll do all 3 well so hoping some folks on here could give me some pointers. TIA.

I'd be careful with too light a rod.

You need heavier line/leader to mess around in rocks than cast lures, so make sure guides/blank aren't geared too hard to the light stuff.

Lot of guys near me fish 10' surf rods between 2-5 oz rating.

I use a 9'6" coltsniper, but a sturdy 9' would work fine.

11 mins ago, natejeep said:

What action/length/weight kinda rod do you typically use?

all 7' rods

med heavy rod with 20lb braid and a 20lb leader if im fishing structure that is more spread out, the risk of losing rigs in not crazy high, use up to 3 oz of weight if I need to

heavy for when I am in finding holes in rocks to catch them, ive used 40lb braid with 40lb leader so I can horse them out of structure before they get me around a rock. also use this if there is heavy current that makes me use heavier weight, I have used up to 6 oz before with a full moon tide fishing rip lines

I also use a cheap rig setup, I am not going to spend the money on bottom sweeper jigs just to lose them. I also knot the rig above the weight that way if I get hung up, ill lose the weight but keep my hook, line will break at knot. I pour my own weights so its not a lot of money lost.

Edited by ijuanaspearfish

10 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

I'd be careful with too light a rod.

You need heavier line/leader to mess around in rocks than cast lures, so make sure guides/blank aren't geared too hard to the light stuff.

Lot of guys near me fish 10' surf rods between 2-5 oz rating.

I use a 9'6" coltsniper, but a sturdy 9' would work fine.

2 mins ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

all 7' rods

med heavy rod with 20lb braid and a 20lb leader if im fishing structure that is more spread out, the risk of losing rigs in not crazy high, use up to 3 oz of weight if I need to

heavy for when I am in finding holes in rocks to catch them, ive used 40lb braid with 40lb leader so I can horse them out of structure before they get me around a rock. also use htis is ther is heavy current that makes me use heavier weight, I have used up to 6 oz before with a full moon tide fishing rip lines

I also use a cheap rig setup, I am not going to spend the money on bottom sweeper jigs just to lose them. I also knot the rig above the weight that way if I get hung up, ill lose the weight but keep my hook, line will break at knot. I pour my own weights so its not a lot of money lost.

So for the most part you guys are using tog rigs and not jigs? I was under the impression when using jigs you mainly want to stay on the lighter end weight-wise.. like 1/2-1 oz which is why I'm sort of looking for a new rod but maybe I'll give a shot with rigs given I do have some rods that would work fine using more than an ounce weight.

56 mins ago, natejeep said:

So for the most part you guys are using tog rigs and not jigs? I was under the impression when using jigs you mainly want to stay on the lighter end weight-wise.. like 1/2-1 oz which is why I'm sort of looking for a new rod but maybe I'll give a shot with rigs given I do have some rods that would work fine using more than an ounce weight.

Aha I see my error.

I don't use jigs much, so maybe I should backtrack.

However, I'd still be careful with too light a rod. A jig without frills is pretty sensitive even on heavier gear.

I use rigs, others use lighter line and use jig heads.

I use 1oz weights on my rigs too, it is dependant on current and tide, the goal is to have the rig sit on bottom and not move.

1 hour ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

all 7' rods

heavy for when I am in finding holes in rocks to catch them, ive used 40lb braid with 40lb leader so I can horse them out of structure before they get me around a rock. also use this if there is heavy current that makes me use heavier weight, I have used up to 6 oz before with a full moon tide fishing rip lines

How the heck do you manage to fish with 20lbs line and leader? :)  I would lose most of my fish if I use that.

I love Togging and Sheepshead(just start to get them finally) and I use 65lbs and 80lbs braid depending on the reel and use 80lbs main leader and 65lbs for hooks and sinkers.  I think I lost about 35 3oz sinkers and same amount if not little more hooks past Sunday(The weather was bad too)

Caught many many shorts which 20lbs could have been ok but I did land 16.25 “ and 19” keeper and 22” Sheepshead. 20lbs won’t work for that.  The biggest Jetty Tog and Sheepshead for me is 21.5” for Tog and 24” for Sheepshead.

The thing you also have to consider is we are fishing rocky mussels bed structures. Even after one or two casts, your main and leader could have nick on it and 80lbs is no longer 80lbs and 65lbs is no longer 65lbs.  There are multiple occasions where I set the hook and the line just gets sliced.

Even 40lbs, I probably won’t use it unless I been using casting lure and change it to Togging rig to change up the game.

But then everyone is different and fish different so if that works for you. :th::)

You can use them but I do not unless maybe if I fish from a boat which I don’t often.

This year has been great where I only lost 2-3 rigs per trip(I usually fish about 12 if not more hours so that’s pretty low number) till last 3 trips where I lost more than usual.  

On average, I lose about 10-15 hooks and sinkers but if I add up number of jigs I could have lost past Sunday, it could easily been $150-$400 with of jigs depending on if you count hooks and sinkers to gather or separately.  Sure, I do spend lot of money on fish because I love it but have no intention of spending that much each trip.

The thing that you have to consider is if you fish the jetty with current especially inlet, your rig will drift left or right depending on the tide and some times pretty fast and gets snagged easily.  There were number of times I had to tie(I pre-make hooks and line for the sinker and main leader before the trip) hooks, sinker line and main leader 3-5 time in a row every cast due to snag and break offs.

8 mins ago, Notable Catch said:

You can use them but I do not unless maybe if I fish from a boat which I don’t often.

This year has been great where I only lost 2-3 rigs per trip(I usually fish about 12 if not more hours so that’s pretty low number) till last 3 trips where I lost more than usual.  

On average, I lose about 10-15 hooks and sinkers but if I add up number of jigs I could have lost past Sunday, it could easily been $150-$400 with of jigs depending on if you count hooks and sinkers to gather or separately.  Sure, I do spend lot of money on fish because I love it but have no intention of spending that much each trip.

The thing that you have to consider is if you fish the jetty with current especially inlet, your rig will drift left or right depending on the tide and some times pretty fast and gets snagged easily.  There were number of times I had to tie(I pre-make hooks and line for the sinker and main leader before the trip) hooks, sinker line and main leader 3-5 time in a row every cast due to snag and break offs.

I might have to reconsider how I want to target tog lol. I bought some tog jigs this spring after talking to someone at a local tackle shop but never got around to actually using them. I don't really plan on targeting them near/around any inlet or jetty though.. the spot I have in mind isn't really fast moving water but very rocky. I guess i'll give it a shot with what i have and go from there.