darter

52" striper

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

19 mins ago, Mlima5 said:

Hes "well known" for using 4 teasers in front of his diamond jig and posting videos blowing up spots. Oh, and telling people to use a freshwater texas rigged senko as a striped bass lure. Not well known in the sense of being a good angler. 

I guess he's on the Delaware River....senkos work. I would think wacky-rigged would be better for linesiders than Texas rigged 

10 hours ago, z-man said:

I don’t think anyone is giving her crap for catching the fish. We’re taking about how the release could have been better. If they want to put videos out for everyone to see and to profit off of then they better be open to criticism. Maybe someone will learn something from these comments and when they catch their big one they’ll think about what they should and shouldn’t do. 

They put videos out way before this like a few years ! One thing to remember is one she has only been fishing less than a year and to have the knowledge to release such a large fish i dont think any or should say most of us dont have that ! The fish weighed half her weight so yes she was struggling with it ! Was it pretty no but they did release it and it swam away fairly strong ! 

41 mins ago, shark lobster said:

They put videos out way before this like a few years ! One thing to remember is one she has only been fishing less than a year and to have the knowledge to release such a large fish i dont think any or should say most of us dont have that ! The fish weighed half her weight so yes she was struggling with it ! Was it pretty no but they did release it and it swam away fairly strong ! 

Of course they released it. It’s the law to release any bass over 35”. That’s an even bigger reason to get the thing back in the water quickly. You know what would have helped a lot is if he helped her with the fish instead of standing back and filming. I wouldn’t exactly call that swimming away strong either. It barely had enough energy to swim away at all. 

On 4/25/2021 at 0:38 PM, Bluetaildragger said:

FWIW she has replied to comments on the YouTube video saying she learned a lot and wishes she had done it better/will handle it better next time.  Have to give her credit. 

Again, not a criticism of her and her boyfriend directly, but the whole mentality of filming everything for YouTube and taking pictures of every fish for Instagram has led us to where we are today.  They aren’t out there to enjoy the beauty of nature and our spot in it, the beauty of these fish, and the solitude this sport offers - at least not primarily.  It’s bred this culture of internet wannabeism and lack of respect.  Much like in the video, the photo shoot and internet likes take priority over all else, including the health of that beast of a fish.   It sucks and I’m over it. 

Well said

. I happen to watch this kids videos from time to time. Seems like a decent dude who is big on catch and release. Give the girl a break. It's very overwhelming to release a fish that size especially when it's a 1st for you. While I agree the world of youtube/instagram has gotten wayyy to big, for a lot of people, maken these films is a hobby/enjoyment of theres. In a weird way, what they do is no different from Bill Dance or Andy Mill. I'm not comparing some youtuber to them, but the basic eyes on screen principles are simillar. Show the fish best way possible, edit the boring parts, add some music etc etc. Rather see fishing videos than videos of the knockout game or some riot taking place in Portland.

She handled that thing just fine; big fish like that are unwieldy.  Sometimes (I would argue most of the time) a hand on the gill plate is the best way to secure them from flopping out of your hands when they thrash.  And for the guys who say you should only hold them by the mouths, Ive seen some seriously strong dudes lose their grip this way, many times.  She's been fishing for a year and got to handle a true monster, most of us here wont see that fish 10 years or many more if ever into our fishing careers.   At some point if you are as concerned about the fishes health as some of you seem, you should stop ripping hooks through their mouths and letting them fight for their lives.  

As someone who has admittedly mishandled a fish that size that died i cringed watching that video. They should have both landed that in shallow water had a quick picture and sent it on its way ... both of them know better and i guarantee they have had the “do you think it lived?” conversation. 

All about the attention. 

On 4/22/2021 at 6:13 PM, yosco said:

Sad Sad. This makes me so sad.DAMN SOL!

I am sad. Sad I am. Sad am I. So so so so sad.

Congrats to the lady. Nice fish.

Too bad i am so sad.

Youtube channel is Get Reel Bass Fishing if you want to watch it

On 4/25/2021 at 9:11 PM, Frugal Fisherman said:

I guess he's on the Delaware River....senkos work. I would think wacky-rigged would be better for linesiders than Texas rigged 

He made the video for the fall run on the south shore of long island. So typically ocean front surf fishing

Posted (edited) · Report post

give you tube a rest an go fishing for your self instead of selling your soul to an internet machine an using fish and places people spent their lives respecting .....

....to further your interests.

But good for them, happy they experienced that kind of catch. 

Edited by DeepBlue85

18 hours ago, bbfish said:

At some point if you are as concerned about the fishes health as some of you seem, you should stop ripping hooks through their mouths and letting them fight for their lives.  

Yo have to realize the stretches your taking when saying something like this, right?  Yeah, catching fish puts stress on them.  But catching a fish and handling it well is not equal to catching a fish and treating it like crap.  That's the next logical step in your argument, and it couldn't be more wrong.  I think anyone who has put any thought into what we do realizes that it harms the fish to some extent and we do as much as we can to minimize that harm.  We don't live in a vacuum, and reductive arguments like that don't help anything.

Not an attack on your and definitely not a comment on this YouTube video.  I just read this sentiment a lot and it doesn't hold water.

2 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Yo have to realize the stretches your taking when saying something like this, right?  Yeah, catching fish puts stress on them.  But catching a fish and handling it well is not equal to catching a fish and treating it like crap.  That's the next logical step in your argument, and it couldn't be more wrong.  I think anyone who has put any thought into what we do realizes that it harms the fish to some extent and we do as much as we can to minimize that harm.  We don't live in a vacuum, and reductive arguments like that don't help anything.

Not an attack on your and definitely not a comment on this YouTube video.  I just read this sentiment a lot and it doesn't hold water.

They may not be equal but theyre pretty similar.  

Videos like this one are one of the worst things to ever happen to strip bass fishing. The cell phone being another.  IMHO. Also noticed another plug to their channel in the thread.