Sstoryjr

2021 saltwater baitcaster help

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, 0119 said:

I surprised to see folks recommend Okuma. Dahlberg didn't find them durable at all. SW FL shops don't carry them, owners say they are like Quantum, break too often and impossible to get parts for. I remember Scooby on Tackle Advisor surprisingly finding water in his Tranx. I wonder how long the special one hydrophobic coating lasts when an owner maintains it himself? For our kind of fishing he is asking about, a 400 size would be torture to cast all day be it flats or the mangroves. 300 seems a good compromise but neither a 300 or 400 is going to cast the lighter stuff used the majority of the time here, like a 200 size is going to. I'd stick to your SV TW.

There is a youtube clip where Dahlberg comments on getting sand all in the Komodo 364P, but it is still functional enough to keep fishing with.

But, I base my recommendation on my own first hand experience having used the Lexa, Tranx, and Komodos in the past when I was looking for a big low pro to buy more of. Never needed parts for a Komodo myself, but getting parts for other Okumas was as easy as calling their California shop.

I would challenge you to try to break a Komodo 364 or 471 with heavy use and testing. I tried to crack the original 364P way back before the 471SS came out. Failed. I purposely tried to crack the 471SS. Failed, even when bench testing the drag over maxed.

The Tranx is not designed to keep water out, more like designed to be very resilient to the effects of saltwater on materials. Regarding self maintenance, John Tuttle brought up the same question as you. I wonder how much better the hydrophobic coating is vs a properly maintain and greased reel. If I wasn't so sold on the durability of the Komodo series I would use the Tranx series myself as they seem solid enough. I wish Shimano had made more of an actual 300 sized low pro then just creating a narrow 400.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I think 119 is right, the OP should be ok sticking with his current reel.

At most he could go with a 200 sized low pro.

Right now I am putting the Tranx 200HA and the Komodo 273SS through the paces head to head.

If the OP wants to go the 200 low pro route I can provide feed back on these two reels at least.

I have a Tatula 100 which is just ok. Might sell it cause the Okuma and Shimano just feel better in hand.

Here are the drag assemblies of the Komodo 273SS.

20210304_163036.jpg.07d2576f76158c15acd38134c5e0ad1b.jpg

Here is the drag assembly of the Tranx 200.

20210304_171846.jpg.4c8c71b5436afb660b7057e91d0ca9b2.jpg

That is a significant amount of extra drag surface area on the Komodo, definitely nice to have if tied into a long hard running fish.

As a note, the main gear of the Tranx 200 is bigger then the Komodo 273SS.

44 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Right now I am putting the Tranx 200HA and the Komodo 273SS through the paces head to head.

If the OP wants to go the 200 low pro route I can provide feed back on these two reels at least.

I have a Tatula 100 which is just ok. Might sell it cause the Okuma and Shimano just feel better in hand.

Thanks for all the great info I think for throwing lures all day the 200 size might be the heaviest I would go. I would definitely take a look at the smaller Komodo though 

3 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Here are the drag assemblies of the Komodo 273SS.

20210304_163036.jpg.07d2576f76158c15acd38134c5e0ad1b.jpg

That is a significant amount of extra drag surface area on the Komodo, definitely nice to have if tied into a long hard running fish.

As a note, the main gear of the Tranx 200 is bigger then the Komodo 273SS.

i guess you can only find multi stack of drag on higher end S/D. Been searching for Okuma for days already cos its tough to get them around my region.

whats the price range like ?

17 mins ago, Tourstage said:

i guess you can only find multi stack of drag on higher end S/D. Been searching for Okuma for days already cos its tough to get them around my region.

whats the price range like ?

And yeah, it is tough to get anything these days.

I got the 273SS for $220 USD shipped. The Tranx 200 was $200 USD shipped.

It was rough getting the Tranx 200, the Komodo was only slightly easier to get, but that was a year ago.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:08 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

I would love for your opinion on those 2 reels. I don’t think I want to go any bigger than a 200 size

4 hours ago, Sstoryjr said:

I would love for your opinion on those 2 reels. I don’t think I want to go any bigger than a 200 size

I only went to the 300 size because I felt 200 size reels of any brand, didn't feel like they had

much strength to deal with some lures I like using. Big Daniels Deceiver prop baits, chatterbaits and bigger Mirrorlures. 200's are great for paddletails on jigheads, jerkshads and such. Proper fish fighting is done with the rod not the reel. I've trended toward heavier line as I got older and a Tatula SV's shallow spool didn't hold much. If you use braid you might not have that problem. I still stick with the 200 Tatula SV for Seatrout and Ned Rigs for Snook. Good luck with red tide. We are getting hit hard here right now. 5ft. Tarpon floating down river!

Edited by 0119