Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MakoMike

Any blue claws yet?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Haven't heard of any yet, but everyone is focusing on the stripers in the bay.  

If you are looking for some fun from your daughters property, you should be able to pick up stripers off the bulkhead.  The schools are all over the bay right now.

13 hours ago, 31BBert said:

Haven't heard of any yet, but everyone is focusing on the stripers in the bay.  

If you are looking for some fun from your daughters property, you should be able to pick up stripers off the bulkhead.  The schools are all over the bay right now.

Been putting off buying some traps, so basically I'm wondering how much time I have to get them them. Kids have been fishing off the bulkhead, but I don't think they caught anything yet. I won't get back down there gain for a couple of weeks. I'm busy trying to get my boat into the water up in RI, and them I want to fish the spring tog season up there.

Posted (edited)

You can usually pick up traps all summer.  Lacey Marine across from the State Marina usually has them.

Edited by 31BBert

I'm in the area.. i've not seen anyone crabbing for blue claw yet. I see a few guys lately around the bridges crabbing for white leggers as bait for for Tog tho. 

Mike

I was at Lacey Marine this morning.  The Blue Claws are just starting.   If the water warms up a little more it should open up in a week or two.

Thanks! I won’t be back down there for a few weeks. They should be in good by then.

Put my 1st overnight soak in on Sunday afternoon. Only had 2 small crabs in 48 hrs. We’re mid Bay mainland. A buddy of mine in a small feeder creek closer to Toms River has had quite a few keepers so far by his house. He’s back in some quieter waters that more than likely warm faster 

Guly

I believe the bay water is still in the upper 50's.  With these colder nights coming up in the next week it will be a while before it warms up;

Mass kills Blue trapping....who's next??

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.

DMF Advisory #2 v3

April 16, 2021

DMF Prohibits Trap Fishing for Blue Crabs

The Division of Marine Fisheries has filed new regulations to prohibit fishing with trap gear for blue crabs and the retention of blue crabs by trap gear. Blue crabs are commonly found in the state’s southern estuarine habitats, which are often shared with diamondback terrapins. Diamondback terrapins are listed as a threatened under the Massachusetts Endangered Species Act. Given the overlap of these species’ habitat, traps fished for blue crabs https://www.mass.gov/service-details/recreational-saltwater-fishing-regulations may incidentally catch and drown these protected turtles. To prevent this from occurring, the use of trap gear in the blue crab fishery is now prohibited.

Fishermen may continue to fish for blue crabs using actively tended fishing gear such as dip nets, collapsible traps, and trot lines. A state issued recreational lobster and crabbing permit is not required to take blue crabs with these active fishing methods. The blue crab possession limit is 25-crabs per person per calendar day. The minimum shell size is 5-inches and this is measured laterally across the shell from tip-to-tip across the posterior-most, longest spines.

For more information please visit our website: www.mass.gov/marinefisheries.

Posted (edited)

this was my buddies haul from this morning behind his house 

Edited by Gully

I don’t know why the pics won’t post. Either way, about 15 keepers 

Tried hunting for some on some of the shallows in the bay but it still looks like a no go. I have yet to even spot one so far but they should be coming soon!