fishin'fool

ramp recommendations

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, looking for suggestions for easy boat ramps around buzzards and naragansett bay for a beginner boater. Doesn't have to be free if anything i'd gladly pay for a little peace of mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

try maryland dnr website. they have alist of boat ramps .locate the what you want an they should be able to help. or you might have drive there an look for yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danta said:

try maryland dnr website. they have alist of boat ramps .locate the what you want an they should be able to help. or you might have drive there an look for yourself.

He's in Mass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I launch at a lot of ramps (MA, RI) in my 17 Whaler and I have to say I prefer the "free" ramps vs the nice ramps but simply because they aren't as busy and I don't need fancy stuff for my outfit.

 

The busiest ramp I go to is Plymouth MA, it's $10, and an absolute zoo.  Really nice steep, deep ramp with docks, parking.  But on a Saturday it's a wait and you better have your stuff together, everyone and their cousin is launching canoes to cigarette boats.  Tons of lookyloos just waiting to make you famous if you screw up.  Can be a lot of pressure if you aren't comfortable.

 

Personally I'd look for the absolute worst ramp I could find and go there on a Tuesday.  Get lots of practice at a ramp like that and then you can hit the nice ramps.

 

The Gallilee ramp in Pt Jude is pretty nice (Concrete & Docks) and always quiet when I go, never a wait.  Also like Falmouth, MA (Concrete, no dock) and Cotuit (shallow, no dock, concrete bars) for Cape Cod access.  I went to Sakonnet Harbor Put (No dock, shallow, concrete) at Little Compton and it was great.  All these ramps are no charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 mins ago, Sailah said:

I launch at a lot of ramps (MA, RI) in my 17 Whaler and I have to say I prefer the "free" ramps vs the nice ramps but simply because they aren't as busy and I don't need fancy stuff for my outfit.

 

The busiest ramp I go to is Plymouth MA, it's $10, and an absolute zoo.  Really nice steep, deep ramp with docks, parking.  But on a Saturday it's a wait and you better have your stuff together, everyone and their cousin is launching canoes to cigarette boats.  Tons of lookyloos just waiting to make you famous if you screw up.  Can be a lot of pressure if you aren't comfortable.

 

Personally I'd look for the absolute worst ramp I could find and go there on a Tuesday.  Get lots of practice at a ramp like that and then you can hit the nice ramps.

 

The Gallilee ramp in Pt Jude is pretty nice (Concrete & Docks) and always quiet when I go, never a wait.  Also like Falmouth, MA (Concrete, no dock) and Cotuit (shallow, no dock, concrete bars) for Cape Cod access.  I went to Sakonnet Harbor Put (No dock, shallow, concrete) at Little Compton and it was great.  All these ramps are no charge.

great help, Thanks for the info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

best and quietest ramp ive ever been too is in Swansea, can be a little tricky getting out the pond area but the ramp is perfect, almost always quiet and direct access to Mount hope and the Bay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, neonsnow80 said:

best and quietest ramp ive ever been too is in Swansea, can be a little tricky getting out the pond area but the ramp is perfect, almost always quiet and direct access to Mount hope and the Bay

thanks ill check it out !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.