snapper1

Turkey season 2021

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, SnookerFla said:

Here's one taken off a friend's property during turkey season in Fla. 11 1/2" beard

Screenshot_20210425-173932_Gallery.jpg

Congratulations!

Old Hunter, I wish I could take credit for the turkey. It was a friend of a friend who shot it. It was the only one taken this year, very few birds sighted this season.

I'm dying to get out. Life is in the way. Got out for 2 hours on Sat, nothing seen or heard. Hope to get out Friday. CT I think changed hunting hours. Used to be no hunting in the afternoon, now I think you can hunt until sunset.  I never hunted turkeys late afternoon, I may give it a try.

2 hours ago, GP100 said:

I'm dying to get out. Life is in the way. Got out for 2 hours on Sat, nothing seen or heard. Hope to get out Friday. CT I think changed hunting hours. Used to be no hunting in the afternoon, now I think you can hunt until sunset.  I never hunted turkeys late afternoon, I may give it a try.

Holy crap, it's been years since I hunted turkey and you are correct, hunting hours are now 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset AND it's a 5 bird limit. That's utterly amazing considering about 50 years ago there were ZERO turkeys in our woods.

1 hour ago, MitchellNJ said:

What's everyone's take on Turkey hunting in nasty weather? I'd imagine it's not terribly productive. Comfort aside of course.

I don’t hunt but see a lot of turkeys and deer coming through my yard. Have never seen turkeys moving in nasty weather.

2 hours ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Holy crap, it's been years since I hunted turkey and you are correct, hunting hours are now 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset AND it's a 5 bird limit. That's utterly amazing considering about 50 years ago there were ZERO turkeys in our woods.

FIVE?   Who's running the game regulations?   Same group who is running the rockfish regulations? 

1 min ago, Stryper Snyper said:

FIVE?   Who's running the game regulations?   Same group who is running the rockfish regulations? 

That's 5 Tom's

Got it done about 20 min after legal shooting time this morning. Got this guy back to the truck and heard another one hammering away. I didn't go for 2, saving him for next time out.

20210507_054240.jpg

20210507_053918.jpg

1 hour ago, GP100 said:

Got it done about 20 min after legal shooting time this morning. Got this guy back to the truck and heard another one hammering away. I didn't go for 2, saving him for next time out.

20210507_054240.jpg

20210507_053918.jpg

NICE...congrats. :th:

7 hours ago, GP100 said:

20210507_054240.jpg

20210507_053918.jpg

Congratulations on the kill and great picture taking too!  OH

On 5/4/2021 at 7:19 PM, MitchellNJ said:

What's everyone's take on Turkey hunting in nasty weather? I'd imagine it's not terribly productive. Comfort aside of course.

Wind is the biggest PITA to me. Light rain isn't bad to hunt in. Turkeys can be active and you can still hear the gobbles. Heavy rain is just not fun to hunt in, too loud to hear anything and even with raingear you'll likely get soaked. Heavy rain + wind? Stay home for sure.  

B6CF59A0-4B6D-446D-8EB3-A9C72813E4FC.png.226a9668f2c44940a68b3c192f43ebb5.pngEB003415-1F13-4CFC-AF4C-62ABA2205497.jpeg.13b0379cda3d98c4070f11aa44fff3f7.jpeg

Just popped in and saw this thread figured I’d add to it. Shot this bird May 1st here in Ma. Called in 3 and doubled up with my friend for his first spring bird. Mine was 25lbs 10” beard his was 18 lbs 9 inch beard. Since then I have been getting busted left and right by hens and pressured toms. I had my opportunity this week to fill my second tag; and I blew the shot at around 30yds. I wasn’t wearing my glasses and tucked myself too deep into a blow down. The bird came in gobbling his face off and walked right past me and i could just barely make out his head when I pulled the bead up. It was a shot I shouldn’t have missed but such is hunting haha.