snapper1

Turkey season 2021

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Anyone got a longbeard yet ?

Let's see some pictures and hear some stories.

I'll post my pics in a few days...:rav:

Cheers

I'll be out with my son on Saturday for the NJ youth turkey hunt.  He's 16 so it's his last youth hunt for longbeards.  Next Monday is opening day for those with an A permit.  I have 2 D permits so I have to wait. 

Good luck gentlemen.  

Went out several days last week (eastern NC), heard very little gobbling first couple of days, finally got a bird to work last morning and worked him hard but couldn't ever seal the deal.  Going again this coming Thursday morning.  OH

Posted (edited) · Report post

Next week starts the mayhem. Got en education today scouting.  Looking forward to some more learning this season.

A, B, C and E permits

Edited by MitchellNJ

7 hours ago, MitchellNJ said:

Next week starts the mayhem. Got en education today scouting.  Looking forward to some more learning this season.

A, B, C and E permits

Yesterday morning they were quite active.  Gonna scout a couple spots this morning.  

I'm still learning.  #1 turkeys can see and hear 10x better than deer.  Watch your movement. Use a blind if you can.  

#2 don't call too much.  If you  have a conversation with a bird. A few calls back and forth.....he knows EXACTLY where you're at.  Be patient.  He's coming. Once he's inside of 75 yards.... go quiet.  It will drive him crazy.  Only time I start calling again is if a live hen shows up and he starts following her away from me. 

9 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Yesterday morning they were quite active.  Gonna scout a couple spots this morning.  

I'm still learning.  #1 turkeys can see and hear 10x better than deer.  Watch your movement. Use a blind if you can.  

#2 don't call too much.  If you  have a conversation with a bird. A few calls back and forth.....he knows EXACTLY where you're at.  Be patient.  He's coming. Once he's inside of 75 yards.... go quiet.  It will drive him crazy.  Only time I start calling again is if a live hen shows up and he starts following her away from me. 

They are very active as well up here...

I already had a ''conversation'' with my ''client'' and scheduled an appointment....:rav:

2 hours ago, snapper1 said:

They are very active as well up here...

I already had a ''conversation'' with my ''client'' and scheduled an appointment....:rav:

I scouted this morning. Walked this real nice edge. Drag marks in the sand from their wingtips while they strut.  I head back out to the open area to cut across to get to my truck and 4 longbeards are in the field. 200 yards from my truck.  Uugghh. I had to go back into the swamp and walk all the way around.  Hope they are there Saturday morning.  

49 mins ago, LBI SurfRat said:

I scouted this morning. Walked this real nice edge. Drag marks in the sand from their wingtips while they strut.  I head back out to the open area to cut across to get to my truck and 4 longbeards are in the field. 200 yards from my truck.  Uugghh. I had to go back into the swamp and walk all the way around.  Hope they are there Saturday morning.  

Good stuff.

Friday night, when the sun goes down,just before dark, go back there and give them a call...You'll know where they're roosted for the night...That will help you to determine where to sit Saturday morning...

Good luck

Today was youth day. Zero action. Kinda of strange. Couldn't stay til noon as my son had a job interview. His first real job.  Lol. He's 16.  

We got back to truck and this was in our tire tracks where I backed in.   Lol. Bastards.  

IMG_20210424_093303819.jpg

10 hours ago, LBI SurfRat said:

Today was youth day. Zero action. Kinda of strange. Couldn't stay til noon as my son had a job interview. His first real job.  Lol. He's 16.  

We got back to truck and this was in our tire tracks where I backed in.   Lol. Bastards.  

IMG_20210424_093303819.jpg

Great ! At least you know they are there...Turkey hunting is not really challenging physically...It's a mental thing...Good luck !