BigRedBearClaw

Braided line "weight" recommendation question for Van Staal

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have a question about braided line on VR and VSX reels. Is there any reason why you would not recommend deviating from the published line recommendations?

For example, will 15# braid cast better than 20# on a VR50 with marginally less strength?

On the other end of the spectrum, will the small cup of the VSX150 be a problem for 40# or 50# braid when throwing artificials for snook or tarpon. 

I normally wouldn't care about experimenting, but braid is expensive and there's a ton of smart anglers who can answer my question and save me a few bucks.

I just moved to FL so there is a lot of different fishing going on, not just surfcasting (who knew). 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, BigRedBearClaw said:

I have a question about braided line on VR and VSX reels. Is there any reason why you would not recommend deviating from the published line recommendations?

For example, will 15# braid cast better than 20# on a VR50 with marginally less strength?

On the other end of the spectrum, will the small cup of the VSX150 be a problem for 40# or 50# braid when throwing artificials for snook or tarpon. 

I normally wouldn't care about experimenting, but braid is expensive and there's a ton of smart anglers who can answer my question and save me a few bucks.

I just moved to FL so there is a lot of different fishing going on, not just surfcasting (who knew). 

Thicker braid is always going to have more resistance then thinner braid, i think that more affects the rod then the reel. Line capacity is the issue if you need alot of line run thinner braid or get a bigger reel.

Salmon fishing the rivers in the PNW, I’d run 50lb braid on a 3000 series reel, maybe has about 100 or so yards on it but I only needed to cast about 20 yards. The heavy braid was to flat stop big kings from punching down river like they do, you didn’t need that much capacity.

Edited by Callmefish
Misspelt kings

Posted (edited)

If your fishing a vr50 use either 15 or 20. Personally on my Vr50 and 4500 sized reels I use 15 of invisibraid. I also use a mono backing, actually I forget the weight, maybe 10lb, I forget my guy spools my stuff up for me on the machine. The guy above my post pretty much explained the technical aspect of deciding tho.

Edited by MattieG

I use 20 lb powerpro on my vr50 and feel like the casting distance is solid. I would not put 15, unless I wanted some more line on there personally.