Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PSegnatelli

Airguns. Permit needed?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Peter from mass said:

Just a suggestion.

if you are going to get a pellet gun and you like quality.

then I recommend making the drive to Kittery Trading Post.

kittery has a used pellet gun section in the archery department and they have some very nice high-end rifles.

 

don’t get suckered into simply buying the most powerful rifle with the fastest “feet per second” number.  Instead get a nice German rifle that’s super accurate.

I picked up a Walther break barrel pellet gun and that thing is super accurate.  I have chipmunk level accuracy at 40 yards... for an air rifle the groupings are amazing.  There are a lot of really nice German air rifles out there.


I’d pass on the cabelas & basspro inventory and get the high end used gun at Kittery.

 

again just a suggestion.

and as said before...no permit is required.

Thank u. 

 

I went with a Crosman 2289.   I would love to get my hands on the New Crosman 362?when its available.  Like a cross between the Benjamin 392 and a Crosman 13XX. And only a few bucks more than a stock 13XX with 850fps and no mods.  

But I love the size of my 2289. Fits in my wheel well. 

 

 

 

I'm more concerned with possession and not the proper permit. 

I know if I get my small game license, my 22, shotgun & ammo would be ok. But IF it were stolen while I was camping, I'm sure it's as much of a hassle in MA as it is in CT. Here you have 72hrs to report or its a felony :banghd:

But a pellet gun is just a pellet gun. Report it stolen or not. Up to you. 

Same with pellets.  One tin of 250 takes up little space and has zero regulations (outside of EPA stuff)  and if we all go green, there are lots of lead free options. 

 

All in all, I just like puttin meat in the pot. Especially when I'm out n' about.  :howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 hours ago, Misled said:

I would strongly urge anyone to visit their local precinct and ask.  

I'm not sure the cops are the best resource. Respect , support, but when it comes to firearms laws I've heard some....well.....completely inaccurate statements from some about a wide range of both state and Federal gun laws. 

Read the gun laws, they are easily accessible online. If it doesn't say you can't have or do something, you can.

That's not to say you won't get hassled, written up, maybe even arrested for whatever.

 

As far as air gun with no LTC/FID, in the event you do end up having to explain yourself I would place your getting hassled to the extent you wish you hadn't brought it along ratio @ perhaps 25%, depending  on who, where and what initiated contact with the LEO.

 

 Get an LTC.  You may never buy a gun you would need one for, but at least get it while you can, and stand up and be counted regardless.

 

 

Edited by newcut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I suggested above, if you take a pellet gun out to plunk varmints outside the "normal" hunting season, you will almost certainly be having a conversation with the local police. Nevermind that the books say it's legal.

 

In eastern and Central Ma, anti-hunting sentiment is very strong. The woods and fields nowadays are swarming with dog walkers and bird watchers and they believe they "own" the public land. Nevermind that much of that land was purchased with hunter revenue. 

To them, hunting is a short season in the Fall and hunters wear orange. Anyone carrying a gun in Spring or summer, not wearing orange, could only be up to no good in their minds.

They WILL call the police. Count on it. 

 

It happened to me. And when they call, they don't call it in as a hunter. They call it in as "man with a gun". Trust me when I say the cops react differently when they respond to a gun call as opposed to trespassing or hunting. 

I came out of the woods to find four cruisers and a bunch of jumpy cops pointing their weapons at me. Luckily I saw them before they saw me. I set my pellet gun on the ground and walked out hands up.

Thankfully, the supervisor was knowledgeable about hunting regs and gun laws. After a tense few minutes, I took my gun and left with a warning to find a different place to hunt.

It could have gone much, much worse.

I don't think I need elaborate. 

 

In my opinion, unless you get permission to hunt on private property where nosey neighbors won't be an issue, I don't think a woodchuck in the pot is worth the hassle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, mikez2 said:

As I suggested above, if you take a pellet gun out to plunk varmints outside the "normal" hunting season, you will almost certainly be having a conversation with the local police. Nevermind that the books say it's legal.

 

In eastern and Central Ma, anti-hunting sentiment is very strong. The woods and fields nowadays are swarming with dog walkers and bird watchers and they believe they "own" the public land. Nevermind that much of that land was purchased with hunter revenue. 

To them, hunting is a short season in the Fall and hunters wear orange. Anyone carrying a gun in Spring or summer, not wearing orange, could only be up to no good in their minds.

They WILL call the police. Count on it. 

 

It happened to me. And when they call, they don't call it in as a hunter. They call it in as "man with a gun". Trust me when I say the cops react differently when they respond to a gun call as opposed to trespassing or hunting. 

I came out of the woods to find four cruisers and a bunch of jumpy cops pointing their weapons at me. Luckily I saw them before they saw me. I set my pellet gun on the ground and walked out hands up.

Thankfully, the supervisor was knowledgeable about hunting regs and gun laws. After a tense few minutes, I took my gun and left with a warning to find a different place to hunt.

It could have gone much, much worse.

I don't think I need elaborate. 

 

In my opinion, unless you get permission to hunt on private property where nosey neighbors won't be an issue, I don't think a woodchuck in the pot is worth the hassle. 

What he said, and I couldn't have said it better.

Every spring at the beginning of turkey season, local police departments begin fielding calls from dog walkers, hikers and bird watchers regarding people in "para military clothes carrying a weapon". 

Yes, the police will respond, I know. 

In most cases I believe the caller knows about turkey season. They also know the para military clothing is nothing more than camo. But para military sounds more dramatic, and commands more attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out the “Ed gun” I have a lelya 2.0..... you should need a permit for it but as far as I know Airguns are not “firearms”. Think precision lead dispensing tool. The one I have is a .25 cal pcp with a LDC and a nine shot clip. Soooo cool and none of the governments  Business 

 

 

4CB10F77-0421-408C-A287-4ADF02368BA5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Misled said:

Save yourself a lifetime of regret.  I would strongly urge anyone to visit their local precinct and ask.  Nothing good can come out of winging it and hoping for the best.  Times are a changing and anyone and anything gun related are the targets.  

I 100% guarantee that you won't get an answer there, at least not without climbing the ladder to at least the police chief. When it comes to answering questions about the law. especially the ultra confusing gun laws, cops are just like any other bureaucrat and will not stick their necks out by giving an answer.

And to be honest, I can't blame them, at least in NJ where the laws are a mishmashed train wreck. It's so confusing most cops will just confiscate and force you to get a lawyer and prove innocence, because they're really not sure how else to handle it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, Tbird650 said:

Check out the “Ed gun” I have a lelya 2.0..... you should need a permit for it but as far as I know Airguns are not “firearms”. Think precision lead dispensing tool. The one I have is a .25 cal pcp with a LDC and a nine shot clip. Soooo cool and none of the governments  Business 

 

 

4CB10F77-0421-408C-A287-4ADF02368BA5.jpeg

Yeah, no way you're walking away with that gun in your possession after you run into the police out in public. I don't care what the books say about it being legal. 

They're almost certainly gonna take it and they will probably not do it in a friendly way. 

You'd probably be putting your life in danger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, mikez2 said:

Yeah, no way you're walking away with that gun in your possession after you run into the police out in public. I don't care what the books say about it being legal. 

They're almost certainly gonna take it and they will probably not do it in a friendly way. 

You'd probably be putting your life in danger.

Lol... when I was a kid I had someone call the cops on me when I was outside our rural home plinking with a high end German  Break barrel air Gun with a muzzle break. The cop said the call came in as a man with a high power rifle with a silencer. The cop was cool about it but I learn to stay out of sight after that. 

   Yes crazy times now and cops are no longer gun people but this or an FX Dreamline compact is about the coolest airgun out there imho right now. Half the power of a 22lr. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Tbird650 said:

Lol... when I was a kid I had someone call the cops on me when I was outside our rural home plinking with a high end German  Break barrel air Gun with a muzzle break. The cop said the call came in as a man with a high power rifle with a silencer. The cop was cool about it but I learn to stay out of sight after that. 

   Yes crazy times now and cops are no longer gun people but this or an FX Dreamline compact is about the coolest airgun out there imho right now. Half the power of a 22lr. 

Just to be clear, I personally have no problem with that gun.

I enjoyed hunting with my Walmart special pellet gun. I got really good with it. If you worked on your stalking technique and got close enough, you could make head shots on cottontails and grey squirrels. I even harvested a snowshoe bunny once.

I liked the silent stealth and the fact that you could use it in small suburban patches without worrying about a stray shot traveling into the neighborhood. 

But I haven't been out since my encounter with the police. My personal practice is to avoid interacting with them for any reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Just to be clear, I personally have no problem with that gun.

I enjoyed hunting with my Walmart special pellet gun. I got really good with it. If you worked on your stalking technique and got close enough, you could make head shots on cottontails and grey squirrels. I even harvested a snowshoe bunny once.

I liked the silent stealth and the fact that you could use it in small suburban patches without worrying about a stray shot traveling into the neighborhood. 

But I haven't been out since my encounter with the police. My personal practice is to avoid interacting with them for any reason. 

 We agree. My prized  possession was a Crossman 2100 classic growing up. 54$ to get a seat at the table. But for a  skunk or raccoon even a head shot at the muzzle is not going to get the job done. With this pcp in .25 a head shot at 50yards will put down even a coyote. Check out the YouTube channel “backyard bullys” to see the edgun in action. 

I have a discreet case for it that doesn’t scream “gun” to transport and I’m ready to explained why I can have it when I get pulled over

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cabo2005 said:

I was illegal the whole time we lived there.

Cabo

I was illegal just passing by when I was a kid, didn't end well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I 100% guarantee that you won't get an answer there, at least not without climbing the ladder to at least the police chief. When it comes to answering questions about the law. especially the ultra confusing gun laws, cops are just like any other bureaucrat and will not stick their necks out by giving an answer.

And to be honest, I can't blame them, at least in NJ where the laws are a mishmashed train wreck. It's so confusing most cops will just confiscate and force you to get a lawyer and prove innocence, because they're really not sure how else to handle it.

Probably right Sudsy.  He should at least consult an attorney if he knows someone.  Just don't wing it.  He gets seen or caught by a Karen, concerned neighbor or cop he can be in serious trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 0:03 PM, b-ware said:

No permits are needed, hunting off of your property a hunting license is require and all hunting laws apply...........

what about on your property?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.