KarpsnKatz

Breakaway sinkers

39 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, CastingsFun said:

The overhand knot in between your lead and hook will be your weak point.

That's where the line breaks when you get hung up. Use old spark plugs.

HighLow.jpg

Thanks for the tip. The only problem I have with trying spark plugs, is the river I'm fishing has some pretty heavy current, so it would require several plugs to hold. But thinking along those lines, it dawned on me I have access to a lot of various size scrap rebar. I'm going to cut some up, and tack weld some sort of eye on them.

Nuts from your local hardware store comes in a variety of sizes.

You obviously have a major dilema. My recommendation to you

would be to start practicing uptide fishing. It works very well pro-

vided that you have the space to do it. ;)

On 6/10/2021 at 10:42 PM, KarpsnKatz said:

Thanks for the tip. The only problem I have with trying spark plugs, is the river I'm fishing has some pretty heavy current, so it would require several plugs to hold. But thinking along those lines, it dawned on me I have access to a lot of various size scrap rebar. I'm going to cut some up, and tack weld some sort of eye on them.

Now you are thinking.

But, you do not need to go so far as tack welding.

As I posted previously, when I am casting into a 100% snag situation I use scrap metal as well. Use a few inches of galvinized wire and electric tape to attach the wire to you chunk of scrap metal; instant eyelet to tie your line too.

BTW, did you step up the sinker size you use? That, in itself, cuts down on drift which leads to snags.

On 6/11/2021 at 9:34 AM, CastingsFun said:

Nuts from your local hardware store comes in a variety of sizes.

You obviously have a major dilema. My recommendation to you

would be to start practicing uptide fishing. It works very well pro-

vided that you have the space to do it. ;)

His dilemma is a common one encountered by any trophy cat angler that fishes from the shore in big rivers, particularly in areas with heavy current especially when casting cross current.

I over came this issue a long time ago, just trying to steer him in the right direction.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

6 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Now you are thinking.

But, you do not need to go so far as tack welding.

As I posted previously, when I am casting into a 100% snag situation I use scrap metal as well. Use a few inches of galvinized wire and electric tape to attach the wire to you chunk of scrap metal; instant eyelet to tie your line too.

BTW, did you step up the sinker size you use? That, in itself, cuts down on drift which leads to snags.

Yes, you're right about not tacking nuts on. I'm gonna go with your method instead. I've also included an assortment of 4,5,and 6 ounces in the sinker bag. Any more than 6 to hold means the river is raging, and beyond fishable. I haven't kicked off my big river flathead campaign yet. Up until last week, the carp and channel cat bite's been pretty good, so I've been sticking to the hot hand. Also the big rains came, and the big rivers have been unfishable. But soon I'll get out there and put all suggestions into practice.

1 hour ago, KarpsnKatz said:

Yes, you're right about not tacking nuts on. I'm gonna go with your method instead. I've also included an assortment of 4,5,and 6 ounces in the sinker bag. Any more than 6 to hold means the river is raging, and beyond fishable. I haven't kicked off my big river flathead campaign yet. Up until last week, the carp and channel cat bite's been pretty good, so I've been sticking to the hot hand. Also the big rains came, and the big rivers have been unfishable. But soon I'll get out there and put all suggestions into practice.

High water = up to 1lb sinkers.

Only when those don't hold do I call it for catfishing.:laugh:

Right now channels and flatheads are on the spawn so the bite is in the gutter.

I usually use this time to chase bass of various species or target carp and buffalo.

Surprisingly the walleye and sauger have been hot in the shallows so I have been hitting those schools for some eats.