KarpsnKatz

Breakaway sinkers

23 posts in this topic

The paperclip idea is an interesting one. I'm curious to see how the paperclip will hold up to the force of a cast when used with a heavier weight and a conventional reel. I'll have to experiment with this.

Paper twist ties like you get in the produce department at the supermarket, ....   twist it 2 times and it will hold an oz no problem.  This is how we fish the tail races of the dams on the schuylkill, we also wade and cast directly up into the wash.... your going to lose tackle all day long if your trying to Bomb 4oz of lead from the bank 50 yards out into the wash.

The other thing that will help you start catching flatheads is to fish where they feed, they are hunters.  Ask yourself this, when your trying to load up a bucket full of bluegills for bait..... are you fishing in 15’ of water? Nope.... 3-5 foot max right? Out of the hundreds of flatheads over 25 lbs I’ve caught.... I can count on one hand the ones that were in more than 10’ of water....prime spots are 5-7’ of water near subtle bottom structure. 

They hunt the shallows because that’s where they find the forage fish, you can fish deep during daylight hours.... and catch some fish, night time is the right time and that’s when they hunt the shallows.

1B87DE08-FC61-46AF-A2DB-6B3518969EDC.jpeg

Edited by bigfish4me

6 hours ago, bigfish4me said:

Paper twist ties like you get in the produce department at the supermarket, ....   twist it 2 times and it will hold an oz no problem.  This is how we fish the tail races of the dams on the schuylkill, we also wade and cast directly up into the wash.... your going to lose tackle all day long if your trying to Bomb 4oz of lead from the bank 50 yards out into the wash.

The other thing that will help you start catching flatheads is to fish where they feed, they are hunters.  Ask yourself this, when your trying to load up a bucket full of bluegills for bait..... are you fishing in 15’ of water? Nope.... 3-5 foot max right? Out of the hundreds of flatheads over 25 lbs I’ve caught.... I can count on one hand the ones that were in more than 10’ of water....prime spots are 5-7’ of water near subtle bottom structure. 

They hunt the shallows because that’s where they find the forage fish, you can fish deep during daylight hours.... and catch some fish, night time is the right time and that’s when they hunt the shallows.

Thanks, this is very informative. You definitely have me zeroing in on the spots to hit in my area of the river. I’ll also give the twist tie method a shot.

17 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

The paperclip idea is an interesting one. I'm curious to see how the paperclip will hold up to the force of a cast when used with a heavier weight and a conventional reel. I'll have to experiment with this.

It is an interesting idea.

I explored this option, though not with paper clips. I bought a roll of 200ft of galvanized wire from home depot. I would make a lose curl with the wire and slide my sinker on the wire.

The sinker would stay on through each cast and the wire would easily straighten out when snagged.

The method works.

I only use this method it I am casting a 3-way into a 100% snag situation. I do not use lead with this kind of set-up either, specially made rock sinkers or heavy chunks of scrap metal go on (think rail spikes).

7 hours ago, bigfish4me said:

You bring up some valid points. I do not fish deep water for flatheads.

One of my methods for locating big flatheads is to first locate smaller predators, the bigger predators like flatheads will not be far behind.

I fish tail races of dams as well and the biggest flatheads I have landed or seen landed are in the heaviest current seems of the hydraulics. They hunker down tight to the bottom behind breaks in the current while watching the waters above for a fish to pass by.

In the main river, I seek out current breaks that also hold the most walleye and smb. These small gamefish draw bigger predators which feed on them.

I agree too that you will lose a lot of tackle fishing 4oz in heavy current, 8oz is the minimum and if it does not hold that is what 10oz and 16iz sinkers are for. 4oz was never going to hold a 12in white bass in the current anyway, let alone half a 12in white bass.

19 hours ago, KarpsnKatz said:

I use the larger clip when on the Oswego River NY where there every kind of structure you can imagine. I use a spinning rod with clip in the swivel holding a bell sinker, The water is fairly fast so I kinda high stick as it bounces along, If the bottom is less miserable I will use a leader length(your pick)to a swivel with the paper on a heavier mono to slide attached to main line. Surprisingly there are some pretty sturdy paper clips. Pretty sure you google youtube and find examples. Tight Lines /less break offs:howdy:

3 hours ago, RAW said:

I use the larger clip when on the Oswego River NY where there every kind of structure you can imagine. I use a spinning rod with clip in the swivel holding a bell sinker, The water is fairly fast so I kinda high stick as it bounces along, If the bottom is less miserable I will use a leader length(your pick)to a swivel with the paper on a heavier mono to slide attached to main line. Surprisingly there are some pretty sturdy paper clips. Pretty sure you google youtube and find examples. Tight Lines /less break offs:howdy:

First, I would like to say thanks again to you and everyone else who took the time to give me some great ideas and advice. You're a bunch of good dudes!:howdy:

Any way I stopped at the stationary store on my way home from work and sized up some paper clips, found some twist ties at home, and I'll grab some tie wire from work tomorrow.You know the addiction is real when your tackle shopping at Staples.