Frank2104

2021 Tacoma....Not TRD and 4 cyl???

22 posts in this topic

Have to retire my '05 Taco RWD. My current Taco is 4 cyl MT and the only time I really notice it was in mountains of WV or accelerating on I95. 

Want to use this for beach access on DE shore. Trying to keep cost down. Looking at '21 Taco 4WD access cab with 4 cyl AT. I am thinking that if my wife's Forester can be effective on the beach (within reason of course), then it might not be necessary to go up to TRD????

Any thoughts?

You should be fine on the beach with the standard 4WD vs the TRD Offroad package. The traction control seems nice, but if you know what you're doing you probably don't need it. 

9 hours ago, redfish12 said:

You should be fine on the beach with the standard 4WD vs the TRD Offroad package. The traction control seems nice, but if you know what you're doing you probably don't need it. 

Thanks redfish. Came to same conclusion after looking at some of the vehicles I've seen on the beach. Now all I have to do is be patient until it actually arrives.....and hopefully snag a weekday surf tag!!!!!

I have the trd sport manual which I think is really just a fake hood scoop and some stickers over the SR5 or SR. It does great and has never left me stranded. 

The TRD is a nice option, but certainly NOT required for our local beaches. Just make sure you air down... 15 psi is nice... makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck on a DE beach permit, I believe they are all out unless they decide to release more. You might plan to get the AI MD/VA pass... better spring and fall fishing anyway.

I didn't know Tacos came with 4 cylinder anymore? Is it a turbo engine?

44 mins ago, JAL said:

The TRD is a nice option, but certainly NOT required for our local beaches. Just make sure you air down... 15 psi is nice... makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck on a DE beach permit, I believe they are all out unless they decide to release more. You might plan to get the AI MD/VA pass... better spring and fall fishing anyway.

I didn't know Tacos came with 4 cylinder anymore? Is it a turbo engine?

JAL.....esi

I am hoping to score one of the weekday only tags next month. No it's not a turbo. My current Taco is a 4 cylinder and the only time I really noticed it was on trips to Louisville going over the mountains in MD and WV.. I would have liked to move up to a 6 but with the almost non existent inventory of Tacos and staying in my desire for a basic truck it didn't work out. I'll check out AI

2 hours ago, Frank2104 said:

JAL.....esi

I am hoping to score one of the weekday only tags next month. No it's not a turbo. My current Taco is a 4 cylinder and the only time I really noticed it was on trips to Louisville going over the mountains in MD and WV.. I would have liked to move up to a 6 but with the almost non existent inventory of Tacos and staying in my desire for a basic truck it didn't work out. I'll check out AI

I haven't looked at the new models in some time so I'm not update to under the hood offerings. My Taco is an '09, just shy of 300K. Still humming along just fine, no issues, typical maintenance. I think I'll try to hit the 500K club on this one before I retire, lol.

31 mins ago, JAL said:

I haven't looked at the new models in some time so I'm not update to under the hood offerings. My Taco is an '09, just shy of 300K. Still humming along just fine, no issues, typical maintenance. I think I'll try to hit the 500K club on this one before I retire, lol.

My current one is an '05 with 68k miles. I wouldn't have considered trading it except for the condition of the frame rails....terminal cancer....they were delaminating in a couple spots.

I drove a 4cyl 4x4 MT 09 tacoma on DE beaches through 2019. 

They work great.  18psi was the sweet spot.

That truck will float over the sand.

I currently drive a 4cyl outback.

Airing down is key. 

On 4/20/2021 at 4:22 PM, Frank2104 said:

My current one is an '05 with 68k miles. I wouldn't have considered trading it except for the condition of the frame rails....terminal cancer....they were delaminating in a couple spots.

Is it still eligible for a frame replacement? Has it ever been inspected by the dealer?

Just now, z-man said:

Is it still eligible for a frame replacement? Has it ever been inspected by the dealer?

It was inspected years ago. They pulled the bed and sprayed the rails. This was when the recall on frame rails first came out. I've certainly got my money out of it. On the other hand, I hand about decided that I couldn't justify buying a new truck just to get 4WD and I would just haul my gear as a walk-on with my plastic toboggan. This gave me a final reason to pull the trigger on a new one.

On 4/20/2021 at 3:49 PM, JAL said:

What types of things have you had to repair up to 300K. I have a 2014 with around 135K miles so far. The only thing I’ve had to replace other than brakes and spark plugs is front wheel bearings. I have a squeak that’s recently developed in the rear that may be a u joint failing, need to check it out soon. Definitely the least amount of maintenance needed than any other vehicle I’ve ever owned. 

1 min ago, Frank2104 said:

It was inspected years ago. They pulled the bed and sprayed the rails. This was when the recall on frame rails first came out. I've certainly got my money out of it. On the other hand, I hand about decided that I couldn't justify buying a new truck just to get 4WD and I would just haul my gear as a walk-on with my plastic toboggan. This gave me a final reason to pull the trigger on a new one.

Once they spray the frame it extends the warranty out many more years. It might be worth looking into what Toyota will still do. It will make it much more valuable when you sell or trade it if it’s got a new frame. 

z-man

thanks for the info. On checking the spray job extended the warranty for 15 yrs from manufacture. I'm at 16 yrs.

On your other note, mine only has 68k miles on it but the only thing I have ever had to replace were tires and brakes. Still running the original clutch as well.