bob_G

DMF revisits circle hook reg

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I received an email from the DMF this week clarifying some of the circle hook confusion.

One of the points they addressed surprised me.  If I read it correctly, you're allowed to still use a J hook to fish for species other that stripers. So for instance, if you're fishing for tog, cod, flounder or blues,  a J hook is allowed.  However, if you manage to catch a legal striper while fishing for tog for instance, and are using a J hook, then the striper must be released.  

5 mins ago, bob_G said:

I received an email from the DMF this week clarifying some of the circle hook confusion.

One of the points they addressed surprised me.  If I read it correctly, you're allowed to still use a J hook to fish for species other that stripers. So for instance, if you're fishing for tog, cod, flounder or blues,  a J hook is allowed.  However, if you manage to catch a legal striper while fishing for tog for instance, and are using a J hook, then the striper must be released.  

Things that completely make sense. You don't know how many times I've caught striper on a crab!

How about you are fishing for fluke or sea bass with a spro jig baited with either a piece of squid or gulp. You happen to reel in a 34” stripper.  It must be released. Or you are dredging the bottom of the CCC with a Smiling Bill.  Does anyone still tip those jigs with a (uncle josh) piece of pork or am I dating myself?

12 mins ago, JohnDe said:

How about you are fishing for fluke or sea bass with a spro jig baited with either a piece of squid or gulp. You happen to reel in a 34” stripper.  It must be released. Or you are dredging the bottom of the CCC with a Smiling Bill.  Does anyone still tip those jigs with a (uncle josh) piece of pork or am I dating myself?

It's all spelled out  accurately in the DMF newsletter. I'm sure it's on their web page.

Sounds like the whole thing, both for and against,  might be more about the optic than anything else. Clean release is a clean release, mangled fish is a mangled fish regardless of intended target, or retention there of.

What’s the loophole?  I thought they spelled out out as clearly as needed.  Rigged eels = circle hooks.  Lures with skins, bucktails with rinds, and tubes with worms= use your hook of choice.  

do you mean someone refuses to use a circle hook so they soak bait on a jig?  If they’re going to break the rule like that then chances are, they’ll just use a j hook.

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

The LEOs should go overnight to Red Rock in Lynn  (combat fishing) where NOTHING is released.

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

I don't have a dog in this fight since I never use bait, but seems to me this is a loophole that will be widely exploited.

Guys were live lining macks “for bluefish” last season. 

Just now, ged said:

Guys were live lining macks “for bluefish” last season. 

Reminds me of the time I overheard the warden stopping two guys entering Walden pond;

He said "didn't I just see you guys leave with your limit this morning?"

He wasn't buying their response that they came back "to fish for bass".

You are right M. They don't enforce now even when it is an obvious violation and to think the EPO's will check hooks is laughable. Unless it is in a parking lot or boat ramp with a "News" crew and cameras present.

22 mins ago, K Foley said:

You are right M. They don't enforce now even when it is an obvious violation and to think the EPO's will check hooks is laughable. Unless it is in a parking lot or boat ramp with a "News" crew and cameras present.

I saw the EPO check the hooks of several people at the canal last season.  

3 hours ago, unskunk said:

The LEOs should go overnight to Red Rock in Lynn  (combat fishing) where NOTHING is released.

I saw the same. The people there don’t let anything go.