MikeK

Suspending Jerk/Minnow Baits For Trout and Eyes

28 posts in this topic

I am looking for suspending minnow baits in the range of 2.5 to 3.5 inches to use for trout and walleye in a lake with a primary forage base of landlocked silversides.  Based on the forage, i like the thinner profile like the pins.  I have some older suspending  yozuris and thought they made the pins in a suspending version, but cant seem to find them anywhere.  It occurred to me that there are a whole new group of minnow/jerkbaits other than rebel, rapala and yozuri, that i have no experience with.  Anybody have any recommendations?

 

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried a few brands of suspending jerk baits for walleye, but I always come back to the Rapala HJ and always in size 14.

 

I can not answer to trout though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Husky Jerks are good lures. 

 

I like Lucky Craft pointers 78sp.  65sp if you can find them.

Since you have silversides i'd consider the lures mentioned

above in a metallic finish.

 

g'luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will also point out that if you want big walleye consider that the bigger walleye are probably eating plenty of bigger forage and will be more apt to strike a lure bigger then 2in to 3in.

 

Trout, suckers, carp, bass, etc... are all on a big walleye's menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I will also point out that if you want big walleye consider that the bigger walleye are probably eating plenty of bigger forage and will be more apt to strike a lure bigger then 2in to 3in.

 

Trout, suckers, carp, bass, etc... are all on a big walleye's menu.

You would think so and i have tried plenty of big baits.  I have also successfully landed many eyes in multiple other lakes.  The walleye in this lake do not follow the old storm the shallow water and points at dusk, because the dont have to.  The silversides form large bait balls suspended over, but close to structure.  These show up as big clouds on sonar.  The walleyes hold the structure and just wait for the clouds of silversides to swim by.  They dont really have to work for food.    It is by far the most the most frustrating walleye lake i have fished and some days i curse whomever first stocked the silversides..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, MikeK said:

You would think so and i have tried plenty of big baits.  I have also successfully landed many eyes in multiple other lakes.  The walleye in this lake do not follow the old storm the shallow water and points at dusk, because the dont have to.  The silversides form large bait balls suspended over, but close to structure.  These show up as big clouds on sonar.  The walleyes hold the structure and just wait for the clouds of silversides to swim by.  They dont really have to work for food.    It is by far the most the most frustrating walleye lake i have fished and some days i curse whomever first stocked the silversides..  

 

How deep do you need this JB to run? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough question that depends upon season/species.  Right now i am targetting trout so 1 to 6 feet gets in done.  If i were trying for primarily eyes, i would need something that covers 10 to 20 ft and i would probably just fish a jig, swimbait, etc.

 

I generally dont target trout after May, so i am not worried about getting deep for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Rapala countdown xrap.  

 

Dou realis makes some smaller jerks as well.  85sp is 3.3"   63sp is 2.5"

 

Damiki Abyss 90 3.5"

 

Edited by Captain Ahab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Arrrgh.  Since I was looking anyway just dropped another couple hundred at TW on tiny jerkbaits and such.  Got the dou realis mentioned above (8 of them)

 

Stop with these posts I keep finding new stuff to buy lol:banghd:

Edited by Captain Ahab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

Rapala countdown xrap.  

 

Dou realis makes some smaller jerks as well.  85sp is 3.3"   63sp is 2.5"

 

 

 

The older 80sp looks a lot like a shiner.

20160724_092621.jpg

Edited by Jay Blair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, Jay Blair said:

The older 80sp looks a lot like a shiner.

20160724_092621.jpg

Those are really good lures.  They run very true and look so good in the water

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.