prican1

What's with Gold VS150's?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

At one time l fished with an Asian guy and he would only buy VSs in gold. 

l wish l could get a VS150 and 200 without coloring and sealer coat applied to them l would color them in either rootbeer, plum, or bronze l have done anodizing and coloring of the parts that l have made out 6061 alum. it was an easy process once l learned how to do it.

Edited by LB

4 mins ago, LB said:

At one time l fished with an Asian guy and he would only buy VSs in gold. 

l wish l could get a VS150 and 200 without coloring and sealer coat applied to them l would color them in either rootbeer, plum, or bronze l have done anodizing and coloring of the parts that l have made out 6061 alum. it was an easy process once l learned how to do it.

I know there are some simple processes car guys use to strip anodizing from parts. 

Just put my old gold 150 back into the rotation. 5K s#. Rebuilt my old Loomis to pair with it again. We had some great times. 

20210417_220325.jpg

11 hours ago, davef said:

They can throw a $150 plug 10 yards farther than any other color reel. 

Raciest post reported

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, recoil said:

For me to pay those crazy prices it better be real gold!

For that money it better

Cook the breakfast, bring me a coffee and blow me in the morning.

Edited by Popasilov

It’s like a fashion show out there these days. Pretty gear, matching apparel, more tools than a freakin’ astronaut. Overcompensating goons. 

4 hours ago, Seadogg said:

It’s like a fashion show out there these days. Pretty gear, matching apparel, more tools than a freakin’ astronaut. Overcompensating goons. 

I agree that there are some that like the "fashion factor" with the gold VS,

However, I think that most of this gold rush is fueled by flipping for a quick profit.

24 mins ago, weekendwarrior said:

I was unaware of this Gold VS phenomenon. Was fishing my old trusty 100 just last night.  How much are they getting for them?

Don't assume the listed price on fleabay is the going rate. They would all be sold if they were not overpriced there. 

20 hours ago, prican1 said:

VS had stop producing gold VS reels many years ago so why are the gold 150's a hot item now?? Are the Gold 200's & 250's a hot item as well? Enquiring minds want to know.... 

I cant understand it either. If the demand becomes even greater, I might sell one of mine....lol.

I have several gold colored spinning reels, and I love em!  Penn, Shimano, and others have been making gold colored offshore conventional reels for ages, how come no one is complaining  about them?

15 mins ago, Tagman said:

I cant understand it either. If the demand becomes even greater, I might sell one of mine....lol.

I have several gold colored spinning reels, and I love em!  Penn, Shimano, and others have been making gold colored offshore conventional reels for ages, how come no one is complaining  about them?

People always need something to complain about. It makes them feel better. Who cares what anyone uses. I don't spend a second looking or caring what anyone else is using.

Do what makes you happy :beers:

10 hours ago, ged said:

I know there are some simple processes car guys use to strip anodizing from parts. 

l don't want to remove the anodizing from the part if you did that you would have to re-polish the part again before re-anodizing and then re-dye and re-seal the reel went down that road once it's not worth the effort.

Lye is used in removing the color and anodize from the part and it will also remove alum. if not watched very carefully.

lf they were to stop making the black reels which would eliminate one process in the making of the reel the same thing would happen in due time there would be a demand for the black reel and prices would go up.

Gold is a hard color to keep uniform tough the coloring process, trying to match dyed parts is time-consuming, then when a new dye mixture is made it could be off some, you can see that when you buy a gold replacement part it could be lighter or darker.

That my thought on the matters. :why: