Slappy

MA cod season

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Slappy said:

Am I the only one disappointed with the MA April cod season?

As a kayaker it's not a great time of year to get out looking for fish. The water is cold and the weather was bad most days. 

I found many fewer fish inshore compared to the September season. I can't imagine that many fish were taken during the April season. many boaters haven't even put the boat in the water. 

I took a couple trips where I only found a few small fish. Fortunately on my last trip I found a good school and had some  fun. of course the season ended so I can't get back on them. 

I feel like the take from this season will be overstated,  I would prefer a later fall season after the stripers leave. 

P4142365.JPG

P4142394.JPG

Nice! I was hoping to get out once but couldn't. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I didn't even get out to my shore spot for cod. Was hoping to get one but April's weather has been hit or miss. The time I wanted to go out it was windy and cold. Besides, I do better with cod in May but of course during the closed season while I'm targeting flounders.

Edited by Dah seee

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

Agree.

Those fish were so delicious and plentiful. Like everyone else, we took them for granted.  Now, I'm buying Alaskan cod when I have the canal running a 1/4 from my home.

Fwiw, I don’t like pacific cod as much as the Atlantic variety. I buy the stuff from Iceland and Norway.

The early season is pretty much a joke but if you get out on a head boat it is a bonus fish. The worse kick in the balls is the extra two weeks they give the for-hires in the fall. This is a public resource. If you open it for one you open for all.

Edited by giggyfish

8 hours ago, giggyfish said:

The worse kick in the balls is the extra two weeks they give the for-hires in the fall. This is a public resource. If you open it for one you open for all.

ABSOLUTELY!!!  I've always looked at the For Hire fleet as being "Half Pregnant".  If Regulators consider them as part of the Recreational Sector, then why do they get special dispensation????

14 hours ago, giggyfish said:

The early season is pretty much a joke but if you get out on a head boat it is a bonus fish. The worse kick in the balls is the extra two weeks they give the for-hires in the fall. This is a public resource. If you open it for one you open for all.

That was a special deal. The entire fleet almost went bankrupt due to the COVID restrictions, so the council decided to throw them a bone with that additional two weeks.

^^^^^ Highlights the “look at us we did you a favor”, but with no practical value, mentality of our regulators. 

FYI - the spring 2021 season was on the books, BEFORE the impact of COVID was realized, in either late 2019/early 2020, as it’s in the May 1 2020 - April 30, 2021 “Fishcal” calendar year.  The same goes for the Sept/Oct 2020 season. 

Now they’re trying to further glorify this BS as salvation!!!  

Edited by Roccus7

10 hours ago, MakoMike said:

That was a special deal. The entire fleet almost went bankrupt due to the COVID restrictions, so the council decided to throw them a bone with that additional two weeks.

Sorry Mike, last season after the state shut down eased charter boats had an epic season. Captains bragging about two a days for 2 months straight. Please save your bull sh*t for someone that actually doesn’t spend half a year on the docks. 

I will never understand why fisheries managers give any weight to the fishermen crying poor mouth, it should be strictly based on science not whether a specific group is hurting financially, it doesn’t make any sense, if the fish need protection the fish need protection 

17 hours ago, giggyfish said:

Sorry Mike, last season after the state shut down eased charter boats had an epic season. Captains bragging about two a days for 2 months straight. Please save your bull sh*t for someone that actually doesn’t spend half a year on the docks. 

Two a days for what? All the charter boat assns. begged for it. Just FYI I voted against it. Don’t shoot the messenger.

The 2 week spring window for recreational fishing is a rochambeau offer. Most rec anglers are limited by weather. Why not just enforce a season limit along with expanding the season. 

9 mins ago, NHAngler said:

The 2 week spring window for recreational fishing is a rochambeau offer. Most rec anglers are limited by weather. Why not just enforce a season limit along with expanding the season. 

Because they only have to do 2 weeks of checking.

2 hours ago, foxfai said:

How many people do you think are being checked for fish or even a license vs the masses that are not? Pretty sure there is a lot of expectation for being self regulated already? 

20 hours ago, foxfai said:

They tried that. For a few years the season limit was zero! Now that our share of the TAC. Has gone up, we aren’t using our whole quota playing C&R with the cod, so we could get a little bit of a season.

21 mins ago, MakoMike said:

They tried that. For a few years the season limit was zero! Now that our share of the TAC. Has gone up, we aren’t using our whole quota playing C&R with the cod, so we could get a little bit of a season.

What's your take on future seasons, is the stock improving enough for seasons expanding in future years?

Fishing in the kayak and only getting them on artificial I think my c&r mortality is exceptionally low. In 60' they don't get barotrauma and swim off strong. I know most anglers pull the out of significantly deeper water and the overall mortality is probably pretty significant.