Slappy

MA cod season

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Am I the only one disappointed with the MA April cod season?

As a kayaker it's not a great time of year to get out looking for fish. The water is cold and the weather was bad most days. 

I found many fewer fish inshore compared to the September season. I can't imagine that many fish were taken during the April season. many boaters haven't even put the boat in the water. 

I took a couple trips where I only found a few small fish. Fortunately on my last trip I found a good school and had some  fun. of course the season ended so I can't get back on them. 

I feel like the take from this season will be overstated,  I would prefer a later fall season after the stripers leave. 

P4142365.JPG

P4142394.JPG

Of course it’s disappointing but it was designed so that not many fish would be caught, I’d rather have an extra week in September rather than two weeks in April. 

15 hours ago, Two Rock said:

Of course it’s disappointing but it was designed so that not many fish would be caught, I’d rather have an extra week in September rather than two weeks in April. 

Totally agree. 

They set up a season that they knew would have low take. I'm interested to see what the estimate of the recreational catch for this season was.

Last September's season was good, but there were too many unfishable days so I only got out a few times.  Weather makes these short seasons difficult. 

we did 1 trip on 4/9 and we 5 ppl limited out (1/pp), and my buddy got nothing on his boat, it's really hit or miss, party boats didn't do well also. 

17 hours ago, Slappy said:

Am I the only one disappointed with the MA April cod season?

As a kayaker it's not a great time of year to get out looking for fish. The water is cold and the weather was bad most days. 

I found many fewer fish inshore compared to the September season. I can't imagine that many fish were taken during the April season. many boaters haven't even put the boat in the water. 

I took a couple trips where I only found a few small fish. Fortunately on my last trip I found a good school and had some  fun. of course the season ended so I can't get back on them. 

I feel like the take from this season will be overstated,  I would prefer a later fall season after the stripers leave. 

P4142365.JPG

P4142394.JPG

You're a better man than I am Gunga Din.  But I love the photos.

Those cod photos bring back amazing memories.  That's the size we once caught in abundance in the canal.  You haven't lived til you ate cod so fresh it was swimming hours earlier.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

You're a better man than I am Gunga Din.  But I love the photos.

Those cod photos bring back amazing memories.  That's the size we once caught in abundance in the canal.  You haven't lived til you ate cod so fresh it was swimming hours earlier.

And they did not have worms when we caught them back in the old days.

I miss catching the large pollack that we also caught back then. 

22 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

And they did not have worms when we caught them back in the old days.

I miss catching the large pollack that we also caught back then. 

Agree.

Those fish were so delicious and plentiful. Like everyone else, we took them for granted.  Now, I'm buying Alaskan cod when I have the canal running a 1/4 from my home.

Just now, bob_G said:

Agree.

Those fish were so delicious and plentiful. Like everyone else, we took them for granted.  Now, I'm buying Alaskan cod when I have the canal running a 1/4 from my home.

Even though we've watched it happen before our eyes the stunning level of depletion is unbelievable. 

8 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Thank God, you scared me.

The waders of death are a long ago busted myth. Paired with a good dry top, you can basically create a dry suit.  I much prefer real kayak clothes,  dry gear made for kayaking is much more comfortable 

1 hour ago, Gotcow? said:

Even though we've watched it happen before our eyes the stunning level of depletion is unbelievable. 

It's sad, we're still at a very low percentage of built stocks.  But it's also amazing how many cod there are it's easy to find them in the summer. it's also noticeable that I don't find them in spots that I used to. 

No new Englander should ever have to buy a cod!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I call the April GOM Cod Season, the "Shakespeare Season: Much Ado About Nothing!" 

The regulators love to "claim" they're doing something to help fisherman, when in reality it's as practical as a screen door on a submarine. 

Up here there isn't a single launch ramp with the finger docks installed, nor are any marinas in action.  Oh, but they DID give us a 2 week spring season, BFD!!

Edited by Roccus7