levari

Snook hooks

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Haven't needed anything over a 2/0, 3/0 circle.  Maybe if your fishin jumbo shrimp or large green backs.  Fish get stuck just fine.  Just make sure their quality.

Also make sure you have a good selection of smaller sized live bait/circle hooks. Size 2,1, 1/0 will be necessary when the greenies are on the smaller side.

For shrimp I use a Mustad Fly Tarpon Hook that is the shorter shanked version of the Tarpon Hook in size 1 or 1/0 for shrimp over 5" hooked below the horn. Owner Flyliner and Aki hooks are nice too and don't bend out like SSW. Light hooks that give you a natural presentation and won't bend out easy like most cheaper thin wires.

When it comes to greenies that varies alot based on size of bait and hook placement. Throat or nose hooked I like 3/0 Mustad Big Guns best for a semi economical hook, and that covers the larger range of baits. Smaller baits I carry the 2/0 Tarpon Hooks and will use my shrimp hooks on finicky bites with baits less than 4". Offset 2/0 Circles work if you a Circle hook guy, and will jump to a 4/0 on baits 6 plus. No matter which hook you use be aware that it is easy for the hook to turn back into a threadfin, which you can easy tell by managing your bait. Can remedy that by coming through the mouth and out the top, but seems to kills baits fast in current and I prefer to throat hook baits most of the time for better action.

Wow, such small hooks. In the Northeast the smaller hook we use is 5/0. 

What size leader do I need to use for these hooks if I am targeting snooks?
I was told 40#. Isn’t it too heavy for such hooks?

Use the largest hook you can without hindering the baits natural movement. Shrimp and small pilchards- #1 hook. Mullet 4/0 to 7/0 circles.  Leader varies from 20# to 60# depending on conditions 

15 hours ago, levari said:

Wow, such small hooks. In the Northeast the smaller hook we use is 5/0. 

What size leader do I need to use for these hooks if I am targeting snooks?
I was told 40#. Isn’t it too heavy for such hooks?

For finesse presentations I use 30lb leader. Been using STS because it is far more economical then Blue Label with good abrasion resistance. Anything less than that and you are begging to get frayed off with any pressure. Hookups are substantially higher with lighter presentations on highly pressured fish like Sebastian during daylight so every advantage helps just have to fight them accordingly. At night I mainly use 50 and 80 for bait, and if fish are less finicky I would rather have 40lb during the day because you can turn fish with that. 

I use 6/0 circles for everything, less bite offs and gill cuts from snook, 40-60 lb mono( not flouro)

Edited by RAW

1 hour ago, RAW said:

I use 6/0 circles for everything, less bite offs and gill cuts from snook, 40-60 lb mono( not flouro)

Why not fluro?

50 mins ago, levari said:

Why not fluro?

Depends,  I fish black rivers.  Like looking through ice tea.  Only use mono 30, 50 or 80# depending near what structure.  I haven't used flouro in my 2 years here,  but I also rarely fish in the day.  If I do its 20# blue mono.  Haven't seem to have a problem with hook ups.  Just my .02.  Larger hooks like up north are for the reefs and shark baits for me.

I mainly use mono at night, not flouro, and just the bulk spools of Ande line not even leader material. Used to be a pure mono leader guy but after years of testing and switching back and forth, I only use flouro for the light stuff. Snook are weird. Somedays you need the perfect finesse presentation and others they would hit 200lb steel. Getting bit when no one else can usually requires flouro in my experiences.

I watched a guy catch a snook in a fresh water canal (the snook got passed 2 spillways) with a wire leader and using a chunk of smoked sausage for bait.

Edited by SnookerFla

Just now, SnookerFla said:

I watched a guy catch a snook in a fresh water canal (the snook got passed 2 spillways) with a wire leader and using a chunk of smoked sausage for bait.

Friend hooked a big snook on the trail, It ran right in an alligators mouth

2 hours ago, dennysnook said:

I mainly use mono at night, not flouro, and just the bulk spools of Ande line not even leader material. Used to be a pure mono leader guy but after years of testing and switching back and forth, I only use flouro for the light stuff. Snook are weird. Somedays you need the perfect finesse presentation and others they would hit 200lb steel. Getting bit when no one else can usually requires flouro in my experiences.

I used to do 80# bulk spool of Ande for Bull Drum but I found out if you need to replace the leader because your line got snagged at the bottom it is much harder to do the FG knot quickly due to the line memory..