Maine Guide

Canal Footwear?

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, rst3 said:

Anyone else have the experience of being fleet footed and balanced on rocks as a younger fisherman, then slow hobbling over the same terrain like a drunken miner, 20 or 30 years later?

Now in my mid40s, if beach sand is rough grained it practically trips me up. Used to occasionally fish rocks in bare feet as a teenager. Would slip-jog over slimy basketballs to reach the water line at low tide in boulderfields  Nowadays I gear up for winter mountaineering if there's so much as a clam shell in my way.

I grew up running around jetties and riprap without a care in the world. Now, in my 50's, I am much more deliberate and cautious in my movements.

Put me in the woods trout fishing, and I need a helmet and body armor.

On 4/17/2021 at 11:35 AM, Joe G said:

You won't be the first. 

Unsure if he still fishes, but Bobby C., a well known canal bait fisherman, wore one.  Not only when he biked, but also when he fished.

He was quite a sight because Bobby wore his bike helmet backwards. 

I believe he took a bad fall at some point and that is what prompted him to wear head protection.

If my memory serves me, after his fall but before the bike helmet, Bobby wore what appeared to be in inverted Chinese wok with a jerry rigged chin strap on his head.    

Geeeee Joe, Bob C won the first Gibby Tournament if I recall correctly.....................

As a long time canal fishermen I have learned one very important lesson, do not walk or stand on slimy rocks or bubble weed, you are going to fall period...................  If you can't find a dry safe spot to fish from, go home, no fish is worth gatting hurt over.................

PS Since 1997 I have worn nothing but calf high rubber boots............... 

5 mins ago, b-ware said:

Geeeee Joe, Bob C won the first Gibby Tournament if I recall correctly.....................

Your correct,  He was high hook.  On bait.  A good fisherman for sure.  Knows where and when to go.  

Will always remember that windowless van of his.  Huge mirror at the rear.  Maybe a vent on the roof...not sure.

8 mins ago, b-ware said:

As a long time canal fishermen I have learned one very important lesson, do not walk or stand on slimy rocks or bubble weed, you are going to fall period...................  If you can't find a dry safe spot to fish from, go home, no fish is worth gatting hurt over.................

Same with me,  Bernie.  No fish is worth a cracked skull or dislocated ankle or hip.  

My footwear was 15/16" calf high rubber boots.  Latest were the grey ones bought at RT.  You also had a pair.  Occasionally, hip waders. All regular heavy duty sole...no grippers.   Other guys I knew and fished with wore similar calf highs.  

Rarely did I see guys with more aggressive footwear.   Although I recall Bobby S. being a fan of Korkers and the brothers had felt bottoms on their chest waders.

18 hours ago, Tailslap said:

If you want to go in the water a bit deeper the hip boot is a good option but I am usually only ankle deep at best at Canal or jetty. I actually fold the Chota’s down making it more like a boot height. Even hip boots can get hot on a 90 degree day so I prefer the Chota’s. 

The layering system I mentioned, breathable pants, insulated fishing pants if desired and some type of bathing suit with underwear built in (I use Patagonia Baggies as they're called 7" in-seem) is  pretty nice because you've just got the completely waterproof vibram soled studded boots, made for use in saltwater with the neoprene socks folded over the top of them. Sand and gravel stays completely out and it's a perfect setup for rock hopping.

4 hours ago, b-ware said:

Must look funny walking around Ware in those.

18 mins ago, bdowning said:

^^You need 'em for the cow manure. :bucktooth:

Next time you have a glass of milk or a piece of beef, remember, cattle have to poop to..........

54 mins ago, bob_G said:

Must look funny walking around Ware in those.

Not any funnier than the college educated types walking around with sneakers or dress shoes, in a snow storm...................

Gotta have studded bottoms. Those black rocks are deadly without em'.

I've got one pair of Simms wading boots with their "hardbite" studs. And a pair of Cabelas boots with Kold Kutters installed. Both are good. Just watch for the shifting rocks, those are the ones that'll get you.  

15 hours ago, DAQ said:

I grew up running around jetties and riprap without a care in the world. Now, in my 50's, I am much more deliberate and cautious in my movements.

Put me in the woods trout fishing, and I need a helmet and body armor.

YUP

That's me too. I'll find roots/vines to trip on every time. 

I find myself being extra cautious at the canal these days. Find myself picking and choosing casting spots by a safety factor.

The beach in Dennis we stay at has a section or rocks from baseball size to bowling ball with large stand on boulders at the very end to cast from. I end up with scraped knees elbows ankles just getting to them. 

I did  a faceplant on the walkway at Coast Guard Beach a couple years ago. Landed on my plug bag, skun my knee Hurt like heck. My son was in the bathroom and heard it. Knew it was me right away. We fished anyways. 

17 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

My last two canal falls had soft landings - right in the water. :laugh:

ouch

7 hours ago, b-ware said:

My setup has no issue with slimy rocks. Which is basically anywhere near the waters edge. The key is to use small spikes so your boot soles still make contact with the rocks. No high spikes like the strap on Korkers. Bubble weed is still a no go for my setup.