tanktroll

Morrissey Boulevard Boat Ramp

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

There is a letter being organized to ask the state to re-open the Morrissey Boulevard ramp/kayak launch in Boston. This area was closed off by the state last September. It's one of our only public launches in Boston and was a key access point to Dorchester Bay and the Harbor islands. If you want to see this area re-opened PM me and I will provide you with details about the letter.

23 mins ago, Bostonkeltic said:

great place to kayak out of.

My favorite place. I used to park all day (or night) there and never worry. Easy launch and there is a good variety of fishing structure within reach. Some photos I took nearby:

dotbay1.jpg

dotbay2.jpg

Do you know why the Morrissey Boulevard ramp/kayak launch was closed? 

I'm in favor of seeing it re-opened. I'm 15 minutes from this launch, and just getting into kayak fishing, so hoping it is opened sooner rather than later.  

3 hours ago, HarborBoy said:

Do you know why the Morrissey Boulevard ramp/kayak launch was closed? 

I'm in favor of seeing it re-opened. I'm 15 minutes from this launch, and just getting into kayak fishing, so hoping it is opened sooner rather than later.  

I heard someone riding a jet ski hit a moored boat and was killed.

My fishing buddy used that put in a lot and is a bit pissed about it's closure, there's not really many other spots that close to the city. He also said there is a much better ramp on the other side of the bridge by the gas tank, but that's been closed due to 9-11 type security concerns for quite a while. 

Hopefully they'll figure it out and re-open the beach for this season. 

11 mins ago, johnysmoke said:

I heard someone riding a jet ski hit a moored boat and was killed.

My fishing buddy used that put in a lot and is a bit pissed about it's closure, there's not really many other spots that close to the city. He also said there is a much better ramp on the other side of the bridge by the gas tank, but that's been closed due to 9-11 type security concerns for quite a while. 

Hopefully they'll figure it out and re-open the beach for this season. 

The chances are they closed the area to further protect the tank farm located near by. To think back in another time that gas farm was a hot spot for the golden cod during the winter and striped bass and flounder during the spring Why not use the boat ramp at Marina Bay across the way that empties out into the Neponset River . Peace and Prayers

Posted (edited) · Report post

53 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Why not use the boat ramp at Marina Bay across the way that empties out into the Neponset River . Peace and Prayers

I'll have to double check, but I don't know if the Marina Bay ramp is a public ramp. I think the closest official public ramp would be out on Hough's Neck by the Quincy Yacht Club. There's a few other spots you can launch a kayak from, but for a big concrete ramp you need to use the Hough's Neck ramp. 

That's pretty amazing about catching Cod right there by the tanks, would be great if they came back. 

My grandfather used to fish out of Milton on his friend's hand built boat, but that was probably way back in the 50's and 60's. He used to give a lot of fish to the neighbors. Unfortunately I don't have many details about his fishing adventures, other than he got out regularly on a weekend day with his buddies. 

Edited by johnysmoke

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

What agency controls access to the ramp?

DCR

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

The chances are they closed the area to further protect the tank farm located near by. To think back in another time that gas farm was a hot spot for the golden cod during the winter and striped bass and flounder during the spring Why not use the boat ramp at Marina Bay across the way that empties out into the Neponset River . Peace and Prayers

From what I understand, there are a few things that happened that led to the closure. I do not believe it was related to security at the gas tank. As someone else mentioned, there was a fatal jet ski accident during the summer of 2020. There was also a series of neighborhood complaints from Savin Hill OTB about noise from car stereos at the ramp. The event that sparked the closure was a cookout that someone had at the ramp and one of the neighbors went down to the State Police station on Day Boulevard to complain. I heard there were a lot of people so the justification was Covid risk (despite outdoor events being very low risk). DCR put a jersey barrier blocking off the parking lot within a day or two of that incident. IMO none of this justifies the closure of a public facility. The state's priority should be to preserve existing public access to the water, and if it's not possible at that location, then they need to promptly replace public access with an equivalent facility.

59 mins ago, HarborBoy said:

So where's this letter?  I'm ready to sign. 

The guy coordinating it is not on SOL and asked that his email be kept off the public forum. I will PM you contact details.

1 hour ago, HarborBoy said:

So where's this letter?  I'm ready to sign. 

Looks like you can't receive PMs yet. Maybe post your email or another way to get in touch?

42 mins ago, bob_G said:

There ya go. That's why it's closed.

Given their mission, it is very frustrating that they seem more ready to close off access than other agencies (eg MWRA).