ksong

striper near dam in Tennessee

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am looking for info to fish striper from the shore near dams in Tennessee.

What months are the best month to fish there ?

What lures do you recommend ?

damtenessee.jpg

Edited by ksong

1 hour ago, ksong said:

I am looking for info to fish striper from the shore near dams in Tennessee.

What months are the best month to fish there ?

What lures do you recommend ?

damtenessee.jpg

Without knowing anything about the stripers in that area, I would 100 pecent throw a kastmaster or smaller hopkins lure into that.

Most of the dams should be good right now all the way until late July. They will move down to the lakes after that and picks up again in the fall around Sept. Dam stripers bite best when they generating water or open the floodgates so check with the Tennessee River Authority website for generating schedule. 1 to 1.5oz jighead with 5" swimbait will work now until June. Topwater plugs will work from then to end of July.

I agree on the paddletail.  Please let us know how it goes - I plan a visit to my daughter in Chattanooga and want to fish below Chickamauga Dam for 'rocks'. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 4/15/2021 at 7:52 PM, StripedBasstardz said:

Most of the dams should be good right now all the way until late July. They will move down to the lakes after that and picks up again in the fall around Sept. Dam stripers bite best when they generating water or open the floodgates so check with the Tennessee River Authority website for generating schedule. 1 to 1.5oz jighead with 5" swimbait will work now until June. Topwater plugs will work from then to end of July.

Thanks for the info.  In fact, I cast  1 1/2 oz jig with paddletail for an hour last week.  I was not sure striper were there as I didn't get any bite.

I was traveling to the south and I stop by the dam just for scouting.

After I get more info, I will try striper there.

Edited by TimS
Spot burn in the video

There should be some stripers up that way already. There are a few that stay in that section year round, typically smaller ones. Upper teens to twenty pound or more may be on the move now. A good population of gizzard shad in there along with threadfin shad. Skipjack herring will also move in at times.

Paddle tails bounced on the bottom are always good. Pearl during the day, chartreuse at night. I typically don't really get started there till june (chasing other species elsewhere). By then, pencils, spooks, poppers and red find are all good choices. Can be good through early September.

At that dam I'll often do fine when they are not running water. There is another dam not far from there that is also worth checking out. There the water needs to be moving. Spilling there right now, so not the best conditions. Don't be afraid to try other places on the rocks down from the dam a few hundred yards.

14 hours ago, Jig Man said:

There should be some stripers up that way already. There are a few that stay in that section year round, typically smaller ones. Upper teens to twenty pound or more may be on the move now. A good population of gizzard shad in there along with threadfin shad. Skipjack herring will also move in at times.

Paddle tails bounced on the bottom are always good. Pearl during the day, chartreuse at night. I typically don't really get started there till june (chasing other species elsewhere). By then, pencils, spooks, poppers and red find are all good choices. Can be good through early September.

At that dam I'll often do fine when they are not running water. There is another dam not far from there that is also worth checking out. There the water needs to be moving. Spilling there right now, so not the best conditions. Don't be afraid to try other places on the rocks down from the dam a few hundred yards.

Thanks for the info. I got better idea.