Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wenz

Americal eel

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, Wenz said:

By any chance if anyone knows, where could I catch American eel in Massachusetts? Thanks a lot.

Seriously though, im not sure if you are trolling us, but basically anywhere theres water. Your best bet is where the ocean meets a marsh

Edited by Richard_the_Aughth

19 hours ago, beerdoh said:

If you can't find them in just about any tidal river in Mass you can always try the Sargasso Sea. 

They don't eat once they start their spawning run. 

2 hours ago, zeke04 said:

Used to catch them flounder fishing in tidal streams on the Cape, they were a nuisance, hard to get off the hook.

Yea if you go fishing for them, make sure you bring a towel. They are very slimy and strong

Always did good in brackish backwaters.  

Nightcrawlers for bait. Hook and sinker on the bottom.  Dusk and night was the best times. 

Quite fun.  Haven't done it in 30years.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

42 mins ago, bassturds said:

Go catfishin, you’ll get eels 

I was just gonna pipe in that the CT river is loaded with them. Just put some night crawler on a hook and toss it out there. 
Eel chunks have become my go to cat fishing bait, esp the heads. It’s rare however to catch one small enough to chunk... most are around 3 feet long and almost as big around as my wrist.

Are you planning on using them as bait or table fare?

Edited by SkunkLuvver

The glass eel market is highly regulated and lucrative. Beware if you are unlicensed and caught the man will throw the book at you.

1 hour ago, SkunkLuvver said:

I was just gonna pipe in that the CT river is loaded with them. Just put some night crawler on a hook and toss it out there. 
Eel chunks have become my go to cat fishing bait, esp the heads. It’s rare however to catch one small enough to chunk... most are around 3 feet long and almost as big around as my wrist.

Are you planning on using them as bait or table fare?

Haha yep. White catfish and bowfin  fishing I catch ton of eels . I’m going to target them as it gets warmer out for bait. 

12 mins ago, bassturds said:

Haha yep. White catfish and bowfin  fishing I catch ton of eels . I’m going to target them as it gets warmer out for bait. 

most of the ones I catch would be more suited to chunk bait, some of those river eels are big and few are bait sized.  like you mine are always fishing for catfish