JoeBaggs

Long cast reel or standard spinning for 9ft plugging rod.

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2022 at 5:02 AM, Hook I said:

Fished from Canada to South America beach wade fishing .Always Arties no meat  under 1oz  ( I scale weight all plugs for accuracy) My # 1 choice for distance tossing plugs is the diameter of your line . Not all braids are the same . Spooling your line is critical. Maintaining your line ( full spool ) is paramount. From  Tarpon , 4’ reef sharks , Jack Carvelle , Striped Bass,  Blu Fish  # 20-25 on Ohero Braid 4k-5k CI4 9’-11’ 

4 piece Salmon rod = awesome rods all around  . Over 5 decades of fishing craziness 

The farthest throwing rod for lighter weights sub 1 /34oz was the Cabelas Predator rods - 11ft parabolic - salmon type rods.  Awesome distance with a Daiwa ss2600 & 14# Fireline.  My friends could not believe how far I outcast them.   Of course that was like 15 years ago...(;-)

Posted (edited)

On 11/14/2022 at 2:14 PM, gman1253 said:

The farthest throwing rod for lighter weights sub 1 /34oz was the Cabelas Predator rods - 11ft parabolic - salmon type rods.  Awesome distance with a Daiwa ss2600 & 14# Fireline.  My friends could not believe how far I outcast them.   Of course that was like 15 years ago...(;-)

Blank that was on par was the Lamiglass S-Glass salmon Blank rated 1-4 oz.  I still fish the 8ft that is now 9.5 ft with 6ft of the original blank (top section) bonded to a AmTak graphite butt section of a blank designed for throwing live anchovies to West Coast Tuna on the Southern California Party Boats.  With that mod, the overall length was 9ft with a "normal length" butt.  About 5 years ago, due to scapula neurologic issues, I need to lengthen all my rod butt so that my left hand pulls to my side, not into my chest.  For this I sleeved the AmTak blank below the real seat with a carbon fiber blank whose origin I cannot remember, but it was either Zziplex or Century.

I always felt anything over 1.75oz overloaded the blank, but it is still my go-to for light pencils, topwater poppers and sliders over the first bar, as well as throwing the 5 inch Mambo Minnows.  I originally paired it with a VS150, now I pair it with a Shimano Sustain SW5000XG.

I know that carbon fiber butt/S-Glass tip blanks are making a resurgence - Zziplex calla theirs the Primo match, but it is a British Beach Caster intended for bite detection of Tommy Cod, small Sea Bass and Flatties.  I have seen other combinations of the two materials, but I do not recall the manufacturers. 

Edited by FlatWing

I have really been enjoying this set up this season. 10’ Suzuki black hole 1/2-2 Oz with Stradic 5000 20 lb braid. It throws pretty far, and it’s super light so you can cast for hours with it. 

E0A2638B-390A-48A3-A103-153EFED4C576.jpeg

1 hour ago, ridenfish said:

I have really been enjoying this set up this season. 10’ Suzuki black hole 1/2-2 Oz with Stradic 5000 20 lb braid. It throws pretty far, and it’s super light so you can cast for hours with it. 

E0A2638B-390A-48A3-A103-153EFED4C576.jpeg

I have that rod - very light - I do hate the tip it's too small. Nothing over 2oz for sure -- but the Cabela's threw farther with a tin. 

Down here in FL I use either my 10' ODM or a 9.5 Tsunami Salt-X. Can't wade in the surf & the 1st drop + surf & the banks are usually steeper than up north.  Almost have to use a Hatteras cast with an 11' rod.

Go with 14# original Fireline or Fireline Crystal. Thinner & breaks over 30# to 35# - you will add distance with it.

Posted (edited)

31 mins ago, gman1253 said:

I have that rod - very light - I do hate the tip it's too small. Nothing over 2oz for sure -- but the Cabela's threw farther with a tin. 

Down here in FL I use either my 10' ODM or a 9.5 Tsunami Salt-X. Can't wade in the surf & the 1st drop + surf & the banks are usually steeper than up north.  Almost have to use a Hatteras cast with an 11' rod.

Go with 14# original Fireline or Fireline Crystal. Thinner & breaks over 30# to 35# - you will add distance with it.

I can launch a pencil further with my 9' Lami and Gosa, but I can fish the stradic/suzuki for 12 hours and not get worn out. Lamis have a nice parabolic blank and really hurl out a lure in it's sweet spot

4346BB44-B497-450D-B2FC-62FD115BFE20.jpeg

Edited by ridenfish

14 hours ago, ridenfish said:

I can launch a pencil further with my 9' Lami and Gosa, but I can fish the stradic/suzuki for 12 hours and not get worn out. Lamis have a nice parabolic blank and really hurl out a lure in it's sweet spot

4346BB44-B497-450D-B2FC-62FD115BFE20.jpeg

Well that Cabela's rod was also very light... made a great pairing with the Daiwa whiskers SS2600.

One of my best days number's wise was with that outfit throwing weighted sluggos (solder wrapped around  the Sluggo long hook. I think I caught a striper on every cast for 45 min. Then I had to go to work......

Happy Thanskgisving!

I have always gained distance on all my outfits by using lighter line and increasing the weight of the sinker or lure...Well that said I will be going out with my 7 foot two piece long cast rod and catch so Turkey fish..  Members stay health.. Use plenty of hand sanitizer and wear a mask, Sy..

4 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

I have always gained distance on all my outfits by using lighter line

Yup, lighter line, properly filled reel and the right weight lure for the rod you use is the most important thing. I had one of those diawa "long cast" reels years ago and it didn't seem to give me any more distance.  If you fish long shifts using lures then a light weight set up that can still turn a big fish is priority.  You can stuff a big reel with a lot of light line and gain distance but you'll wear out quick with it.

On 11/23/2022 at 2:48 PM, gman1253 said:

That 14# Fireline Crystal ain’t no joke!!!