JoeBaggs

Long cast reel or standard spinning for 9ft plugging rod.

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, camilos_garage said:

No one has mentioned technique and rod quality. If you have an acceptable technique and push your size to a 10 ft rod with a nice 24-26 butt, 100 yds is attainable. Then match this with any reel that has decent line management that suits your needs, perhaps a Shimano Saragosa/Spheros 6000 if you will get splashed a lot or a Shimano Ultegra 5500 CI4+ if the water just touches your ankles.

The 9-foot rod I got has a fairly long handle. Not exactly sure how long it is. I was also looking at those three specific shimano's oh, but it's good to know that the ultegra might not be so forgiving if it gets splashed accidentally. I was just looking at that real in a local store about a half an hour ago. It seems to be a fairly popular real with a lot of salt and surf fisherman.

29 mins ago, JoeBaggs said:

the ultegra might not be so forgiving if it gets splashed accidentally.

Ultegra will take light splashes here and there but it will not take the abuse the Saragosa may take as it really has no seals protecting the body. Also if it is windy with sand, sand will get to the AR clutch surface (happened to me). However the Ultegra will give you more distance 5-10% more...

24 mins ago, yosco said:

A Daiwa Whisker 2600 on a 9' Tica is

a great, budget friendly set up.

Agree. It’s a time tested reel that can take some abuse. 

4 hours ago, JoeBaggs said:

I just got a 9ft Tica Dolphin, and that is the rod I am trying to find a reel for. I seen that Conflict II Long Cast reel, I was trying to spend a little less for this reel. When I looked the other day, the Conflict II in the 4000/5000, was about $220+. Do you have other reels you like on your 9ft rods?

Quantum boca or the pricier cabo in size 50 is an excellent spinner for light surf work on most 9 er’s. Also it is a fine casting reel. It has a “Shimano like”  spool lip. I believe quatum calls it a “max cast” spool design. Basically, it’s a tapered spool lip and it really helps alot with braid. I absolutely had great luck with the boca reels. 

On 4/15/2021 at 0:22 PM, JoeBaggs said:

Hello,

I am purchasing a 9ft rod for plugging and throwing lighter 1/2-2oz from the beach, and I am trying to decide which reel to pair up with it. I've been doing alot of reading, watching reviews, reading posts over last few days, and it seems like most are using a 4000-5000 size reel for their 9ft plugging rods. There is just so much information out there. My question is, is anyone using a long cast reels on their 9 footers? I havent come across much about using a long cast reel for plugging rods. Anyone using a long cast in a 9ft setup, or are these reels usually just for the longer 11-13ft rods? Any disadvantage to using a LC reel on an 8-9ft rod?  What has your experience been? Or is it just better to get a 4000-5000 size reel and call it a wrap? If you do use a long cast reel on a 9ft, what size do you use?

Thanks in advance,

TL

Joe

My choice would be a Diawa BG 4500 

spooled with 20# braid. I have one on a 9' Lami and have never had a problem. 

On 4/15/2021 at 0:22 PM, JoeBaggs said:

Hello,

I am purchasing a 9ft rod for plugging and throwing lighter 1/2-2oz from the beach, and I am trying to decide which reel to pair up with it. I've been doing alot of reading, watching reviews, reading posts over last few days, and it seems like most are using a 4000-5000 size reel for their 9ft plugging rods. There is just so much information out there. My question is, is anyone using a long cast reels on their 9 footers? I havent come across much about using a long cast reel for plugging rods. Anyone using a long cast in a 9ft setup, or are these reels usually just for the longer 11-13ft rods? Any disadvantage to using a LC reel on an 8-9ft rod?  What has your experience been? Or is it just better to get a 4000-5000 size reel and call it a wrap? If you do use a long cast reel on a 9ft, what size do you use?

Thanks in advance,

TL

Joe

My choice would be a Diawa BG 4500 

spooled with 20# braid. I have one on a 9' Lami and have never had a problem. 

Just put a slammer 5500 on it, I use it on an 8ft tica. It’s a little heavy to be honest but it handles fish just fine, and I use it off jetties.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, camilos_garage said:

Ultegra will take light splashes here and there but it will not take the abuse the Saragosa may take as it really has no seals protecting the body. Also if it is windy with sand, sand will get to the AR clutch surface (happened to me). However the Ultegra will give you more distance 5-10% more...

Actually, the current model of the 5500CI4+ includes X-Protect, which is supposed to qualify the reel to IPX6 (non-submersible, but no intrusion from a powerful water jet).  My Ultegra XSB 5500 Ci4+, Ultegra XSC 10000 and Aero Technium XSC 10000's are all between 7 and 3 years old - they get washed off using my Buggy's on-board water after every use, and I have never had water intrusion problems with them, so I suspect they would qualify to IPX5.  For night plugging or wading in the bay, I do however have a Penn Spinfisher VI 4500, VS150, VR175, VR200 and Daiwa Emblem Surf 35 QD SCW (which has mag-seal), simply because it is hard to avoid waves (night plugging) or accidental dunking (bay) while safely executing C&R unhooking under those those conditions. These reels would likely all qualify to either IPX6 or IPX7 (the VS and VR's). Note that IPX7 = submersion for 30 minutes at 1 meter depth without water intrusion.

Edited by FlatWing

3 hours ago, FlatWing said:

the current model of the 5500CI4+ includes X-Protect, which is supposed to qualify the reel to IPX6 (non-submersible, but no intrusion from a powerful water jet).  My Ultegra XSB 5500 Ci4+, Ultegra XSC 10000 and Aero Technium XSC 10000's are all between 7 and 3 years old - they get washed off using my Buggy's on-board water after every use, and I have never had water intrusion problems with them, so I suspect they would qualify to IPX5.  

@FlatWing, I love my pair of Ultegras Ci4+ (current generation), they have served me well for two moderate seasons and work as when they were new but I am anal about cleaning them and never wade. I have serviced one of them after my rod fell into the white water wash by accident for about 45 seconds (I found sand all over AR clutch, inside the body, etc). Based on my experience, I believe the X-protect takes care of water splashes but not so sure about a powerful water jet. Also sand is a another story, if you get a splash of dirty water loaded with sand or a nasty wind gust with sand, the sand will get under the rotor reaching the AR clutch, this happened to me and I had to remove the rotor and clean the surface of the AR clutch to prevent it going further as there are no seals protecting the clutch from sand (clutch top has a water repellent coating though). Another forum member that has subjected his Ultegra Ci4+ through two tough seasons, at 60 outings per year (LINK to thread, post #8 and #10) in knee to waist-deep water with waves up to shoulder high and occasional dunks, reports that after the second year, his reel had to be sent in for service and the Shimano service receipt indicates that it was heavily corroded inside and all gears and bearings had to be replaced. 

Edited by camilos_garage

19 hours ago, JoeBaggs said:

Since I dont have a boat, and I would be using this 9ft rod for surf and possible occasional river fishing, I was thinking the long cast reels would just help me gain some distance without adding a couple extra feet of rod since I will be doing a decent amount of walking with the rod. Basically trying to put together a rod and reel setup that is light and enjoyable to throw some baits. Having a reel that will stand up to the elements is also important. I am new to this type of fishing, and I am trying to learn as much as possible, so please do tell what other criteria is important to you when it comes to your beach reels. Maybe there are some things I have not thought about yet, that I should be considering.

Hello Joe 

FYI, I don’t have an issue with Long Cast reels and if that's what you want, and you believe it will help, go for it. Since I also have no idea how you fish, maybe a nice sunny afternoon with a light breeze at your back. Or at night in heavy wind trying to keep your balance in a rough surf. Those two scenarios can make a big difference in the equipment you choose. In my years, I've yet to see a reel that was incapable of making an adequate cast to catch a fish on a beach. Same can be said for rods. Keep in mind industry marketing has reeled in more fisherman’s dollars than they ever have fish.  As for those other considerations, for me, reliability and durability are paramount. I choose reels with proven track records for the intended use in the sand and surf. Reels get sandy and salty, and sometimes are submerged either by accident or out of necessity when having to deal a fish. So, reels that are sealed get my first consideration, or watertight as a 2nd option. Sealed drags are also important, especially when its nasty out. I've had my days were my reels were grinding and scraping so badly I had to stop fishing. That made my decision to upgrade my reels easy. Price became secondary to performance. I’ll gladly give up whatever small advantage a little extra  spool length may provide so I meet the other criteria I’ve mentioned. When the wind is in your face long cast reels fall in line with all the others, you end doing the best you can.

1 hour ago, camilos_garage said:

@FlatWing, I love my pair of Ultegras Ci4+ (current generation), they have served me well for two moderate seasons and work as when they were new but I am anal about cleaning them and never wade. I have serviced one of them after my rod fell into the white water wash by accident for about 45 seconds (I found sand all over AR clutch, inside the body, etc). Based on my experience, I believe the X-protect takes care of water splashes but not so sure about a powerful water jet. Also sand is a another story, if you get a splash of dirty water loaded with sand or a nasty wind gust with sand, the sand will get under the rotor reaching the AR clutch, this happened to me and I had to remove the rotor and clean the surface of the AR clutch to prevent it going further as there are no seals protecting the clutch from sand (clutch top has a water repellent coating though). Another forum member that has subjected his Ultegra Ci4+ through two tough seasons, at 60 outings per year (LINK to thread, post #8 and #10) in knee to waist-deep water with waves up to shoulder high and occasional dunks, reports that after the second year, his reel had to be sent in for service and the Shimano service receipt indicates that it was heavily corroded inside and all gears and bearings had to be replaced. 

Point #1 - water intrusion into your reels, with them both having X-Protect, is disturbing news for all the other X-Protected Shimano Reels, as I doubt that they are very much different in the design of the additional physical pieces that constitute this mechanical protection system.  I was basing my theoretical IPX6 conclusion on the design of the additional components  that form the X-protect system, which I saw in a video of a Saragossa, if memory serves correctly, vice seeing the results of an actually qualification test (empirical data). From what you are saying, the X-Protect system may not provide any more protection than I have experienced with the older reels without the added weight/maintenance complexity of the additional X-protect components.

Point #2 - the protection rating for particulates is the X in IPX5, 6, etc.  The military standard adopted from the French commercial standard requires that this level of protection is represented by "X" if no design or qualification has been performed.  The qualification test is rather elaborate, as it requires a level of vacuum to be introduced before the device is submersed in the particulate matter of concern.  in other words, there are no reels that I know of that have ever been qualified for sand-intrusion protection.  However, the Van Staal, Zee-Bass and Penn Torque (first generation reels) have never been reported to have sand-intrusion issues, to the best of my knowledge.  When Daiwa first came out with their $1000.00 Saltiga Spinning reel, they produced a video in which they literally buried it in sand at the beach, stepped down the sand, dug up the reel, spun it under water and kept catching bass.  They promised a follow-up video, but I never saw it.

19 hours ago, BDigital said:

The Daiwa BG is a solid inexpensive reel that casts well. The BG4500 would work well. I used one last spring with a 9' AWE

I recently purchased that reel and I’m pleasantly surprised by the performance so far 

Edited by Master Debaiter