Long cast reel or standard spinning for 9ft plugging rod.

Rate this topic

JoeBaggs

Hello,

I am purchasing a 9ft rod for plugging and throwing lighter 1/2-2oz from the beach, and I am trying to decide which reel to pair up with it. I've been doing alot of reading, watching reviews, reading posts over last few days, and it seems like most are using a 4000-5000 size reel for their 9ft plugging rods. There is just so much information out there. My question is, is anyone using a long cast reels on their 9 footers? I havent come across much about using a long cast reel for plugging rods. Anyone using a long cast in a 9ft setup, or are these reels usually just for the longer 11-13ft rods? Any disadvantage to using a LC reel on an 8-9ft rod?  What has your experience been? Or is it just better to get a 4000-5000 size reel and call it a wrap? If you do use a long cast reel on a 9ft, what size do you use?

Thanks in advance,

TL

Joe

I would think those using long cast reels are trying to obtain maximum distance, therefore in order to do that they would use a rod to match it. I cast my 10'6 Lami considerably farther than my 9' Black Hole SBS using the same reel on each. I can't speak to the reels themselves because I haven't ever thought of buying one. If I need more distance I use a longer rod. If you need distance but can't get a longer rod, maybe look at the penn conflicts or shimano ultegras. I would think that technique and rod will always be a greater benefit for distance than the reel it self. 

I no longer plug the surf with less than a 10ft 6 inch rod, mostly because I can no longer stand in the surf, indeed need to stand on flat sand and there are any number of rods in this length that will throw as low as 3/4oz.  That being said, in the 10ft 6inch to 11ft class, I find no discernable difference in casting distance between my 5500 Ultegra's and a 175 or 200 VR. However, both of these reels cast further, for the same rod and cast type, then my old VS's, most of which are retired to the shelf.  Consistently flat Line lay being the difference.

Long Cast reels such as the 10000 Ultegra, 10000 Aero Technium, Daiwa Entoh (JDM/EDM reel sold here as the Saltiga Surf), Daiwa Tournament Basia/Tournament Surf (later is JDM/EDM) and Daiwa Emblem Surf (Also JDM/EDM), tend to pay dividends with 12ft+ full carbon rods, at least a Hatteras Cast, and 100+ gram lures (3.5oz). 

I find that a hot-rodded CT (no level wind) conventional will  yield greater distances on 10 to 11ft graphite or carbon rods. 

In all cases, unless the rod is built with a long enough butt to allow the user to power the cast by pulling close to the ribs on the non-dominant side, the reel type will tend to be a mute point, since it is almost impossible to "lock-out" the rod early in the power stroke and achieve significant tip acceleration at the end of the cast with a shorter butt..

I too was in search of the answer for the same question. After replacing my older kayak reels with  a bunch of Stradic FL’s with its longer spool, I quickly noticed a difference in casting distance. I knew my old Emblem could practically reach the other side, but that was a beast for only occasional use. Combine this with fact that most of the fish I was catching in the surf were smaller, making it silly to be using an 11’ with a 200. I too was scaling down, but I still needed the distance to reach the smaller fish. Thus my hunt for a smaller LC that could get wet - ish. Unfortunately, the smaller Penn VI LC is a pain in the butt to find, and haven’t gotten it yet.

However, while my search continued, I have noticed the initial benefits of FL long spooled have greatly diminished after continued use. Yes, the FL was great when the spool was perfectly lined, but after thousands of casts, retryings, broken lines, and simple worn line, I’m right back at the FK/LT/BG distances. Which has brought me to the end of my smaller surf LC search, focusing more on the basics of line diameter, line lay, filled spool and newer line to increase my distance. 

Edited by Jason B
"It's the weekend, I don't know you, you don't exist to me." The Hangover

Hello Joe 

For what its worth, I do think Long cast reels have a time and place, just not everyplace. The gains you hope to get with a long cast reel on a 9 foot rod will be minimal at best when compared to some of the nicer reels in the 4 to 5 k size. Also keep in mind that distance is all about perspective. For me anyway, I think there are more important things to consider about reels for beach fishing. 

Cheers  

4 hours ago, GoneCoastal said:

Penn makes a 4000 size long cast reel. Think it's a conflict 2 ?  I use one and other the slightly slow retrieve speed it's great and light to boot. Works great on my 9 foot rods. 

I just got a 9ft Tica Dolphin, and that is the rod I am trying to find a reel for. I seen that Conflict II Long Cast reel, I was trying to spend a little less for this reel. When I looked the other day, the Conflict II in the 4000/5000, was about $220+. Do you have other reels you like on your 9ft rods?

2 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Hello Joe 

For what its worth, I do think Long cast reels have a time and place, just not everyplace. The gains you hope to get with a long cast reel on a 9 foot rod will be minimal at best when compared to some of the nicer reels in the 4 to 5 k size. Also keep in mind that distance is all about perspective. For me anyway, I think there are more important things to consider about reels for beach fishing. 

Cheers  

Since I dont have a boat, and I would be using this 9ft rod for surf and possible occasional river fishing, I was thinking the long cast reels would just help me gain some distance without adding a couple extra feet of rod since I will be doing a decent amount of walking with the rod. Basically trying to put together a rod and reel setup that is light and enjoyable to throw some baits. Having a reel that will stand up to the elements is also important. I am new to this type of fishing, and I am trying to learn as much as possible, so please do tell what other criteria is important to you when it comes to your beach reels. Maybe there are some things I have not thought about yet, that I should be considering.

No one has mentioned technique and rod quality. If you have an acceptable technique and push your size to a 10 ft rod with a nice 24-26 butt, 100 yds is attainable. Then match this with any reel that has decent line management that suits your needs, perhaps a Shimano Saragosa/Spheros 6000 if you will get splashed a lot or a Shimano Ultegra 5500 CI4+ if the water just touches your ankles.

Edited by camilos_garage

On 4/20/2021 at 9:28 AM, JoeBaggs said:

Bueller....Bueller...

Kinda surprised, not one response. Most of the topics I've read, it seems most are very helpful.

I am a big fan of 9 foot rods for alot of surf work. I think an LC is a great way to go. I used to fish the daiwa whisker way back for years. These days I promise myself I am buying a conflict LC in size 5k when my current bocas all die. I think it’s the way to go    Simply for a little more distance its worth it imo. Can’t see any negs.

2 hours ago, JoeBaggs said:

I just got a 9ft Tica Dolphin, and that is the rod I am trying to find a reel for. I seen that Conflict II Long Cast reel, I was trying to spend a little less for this reel. When I looked the other day, the Conflict II in the 4000/5000, was about $220+. Do you have other reels you like on your 9ft rods?

A Penn spin fisher is pretty good too. I have a 4500 one of my 9 footers. Nice and light.