bob_G

Ma Fish and Wildlife trout

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, mikez2 said:

According to the website 500 browns and 500 brookies over 18 inches.

I forget how many rainbows over 14 inches but it was a huge number. 

Yeah, I like our stocking program. We take advantage of it from ice out to mid May, then back at it late October, all through the otherwise dead zone of November- December, then back again when the ice is safe.

Having figured out which ponds near us have plenty of holdovers, we can get them whenever we want (not counting summer), no matter when they last stocked. 

My goal this year was to explore less popular locations to get away from people as much as possible. There are some places left you can find both peace and success even if they are harder to find. Last year due to the covid masses I gave up on sweet water after getting disgusted with humans thankfully it seems to be returning to acceptable levels. 

On 4/15/2021 at 10:51 AM, bob_G said:

Is it my imagination, or is Ma FW growing and stocking less rainbows, and more browns?

For years my trout catch would run about 90% bows.  Now, I'm running about 50/50. 

IMO bows are more fun to catch, fight more.  But browns seem to holdover better, and can be tougher to catch.

Maybe some ponds are no longer capable of holding over bows due to climate change?

Probably just all the people chasing the stocking reports then cleaning out the truckbows. One of my favorite trout ponds was a ghost town for weeks then it got stocked a couple of weeks ago. The next day it was practically shoulder to shoulder with the powerbait guys picking off the truck bows. I was suprised the online stocking report posted the date of the stocking for this pond. They stopped posting dates last year because of the report chasers.

There's still a lot more people fishing because of covid. There are still a lot who are out of work or working from home.

8 hours ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

The state releases Info on what gets stocked where and when

Really?  Who knew? Shazam. :rolleyes:

31 mins ago, mikez2 said:

According to the website 500 browns and 500 brookies over 18 inches.

I forget how many rainbows over 14 inches but it was a huge number. 

Yeah, I like our stocking program. We take advantage of it from ice out to mid May, then back at it late October, all through the otherwise dead zone of November- December, then back again when the ice is safe.

Having figured out which ponds near us have plenty of holdovers, we can get them whenever we want (not counting summer), no matter when they last stocked. 

Speaking for cape ponds and  myself, but after May 1 cape trout become almost impossible to catch.   I've thrown lures until my arm falls off without a sniff.

The only window is late afternoon and evening midge hatches. Even if you're a good fly fisherman, the trout can be maddening.  But at least having rising fish in front of you piques your interest, and gives you targets to throw on.

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

Speaking for cape ponds and  myself, but after May 1 cape trout become almost impossible to catch.   I've thrown lures until my arm falls off without a sniff.

The only window is late afternoon and evening midge hatches. Even if you're a good fly fisherman, the trout can be maddening.  But at least having rising fish in front of you piques your interest, and gives you targets to throw on.

The same is true here in northern Ma but even into late May they come up when the midges hatch. They can reliably caught on spin gear with a water bobber and a meal worm. In fact with light or no wind it can be deadly. I've caught 30+ trout in one evening doing it.

In recent years we have abandoned trout by late May because we chase carp, largemouth and stripers. We also do alot of other non-fishing activities once warm weather sets in.

This year I’m doing volunteer work on a snake project that will take most of my time away from the water.

2 mins ago, mikez2 said:

The same is true here in northern Ma but even into late May they come up when the midges hatch. They can reliably caught on spin gear with a water bobber and a meal worm. In fact with light or no wind it can be deadly. I've caught 30+ trout in one evening doing it.

In recent years we have abandoned trout by late May because we chase carp, largemouth and stripers. We also do alot of other non-fishing activities once warm weather sets in.

This year I’m doing volunteer work on a snake project that will take most of my time away from the water.

Bobber and meal worm huh?  Never thought of that. Food for thought. :idea:

I'm looking to expand into some non fishing activities myself.  Funny, I thought once I retired it would be fishing all the time. Unfortunately for a variety of reasons, that's not always possible or desirable.

We did bee keeping for several years, and that was rewarding. But it became impossible to winter over hives.   I'm hoping to do some trout trips to the west part of the state.  Possibly combine that with some wild mushroom excursions.

55 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Probably just all the people chasing the stocking reports then cleaning out the truckbows. One of my favorite trout ponds was a ghost town for weeks then it got stocked a couple of weeks ago. The next day it was practically shoulder to shoulder with the powerbait guys picking off the truck bows. I was suprised the online stocking report posted the date of the stocking for this pond. They stopped posting dates last year because of the report chasers.

There's still a lot more people fishing because of covid. There are still a lot who are out of work or working from home.

Agree, at least until the freshly stocked fish become harder to get. Saltwater remains to be seen. It was people crazy last spring, especially with all the access point shutdowns. 

3 mins ago, Running Ape said:

Mushrooming=Almost as much fun as hunting 

Except for being much more rain dependant. 

These dry seasons we've had recently haven't been great. I'm not a serious mushroom hunter but I've been known to dabble. I haven't seen much in my travels lately. 

I never lack for stuff to do. My biggest problem is finding time for it all. Working second shift is helpful though. I do alot in the mornings before work.

I agree this is one area that the state does right. Have seen more kids then ever fishing this spring and have taken and helped kids myself. Two nights ago I was catching on a tiny clouser I tie, girl next to me was catching on a phoebe, and power baiters were catching as well. Just nice to see a variety of people enjoying. Personally hate the put down of power bait guys. Listen to the old timers that gather every morning talk about how high off bottom, color, one egg or two, how far out they are hitting is pretty entertaining. The north shore ponds have only received one slug of rainbows and relatively low numbers so far. Southeast ponds definitely get a lot of fish and size. 

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Except for being much more rain dependant. 

These dry seasons we've had recently haven't been great. I'm not a serious mushroom hunter but I've been known to dabble. I haven't seen much in my travels lately. 

I never lack for stuff to do. My biggest problem is finding time for it all. Working second shift is helpful though. I do alot in the mornings before work.

Delicious wild mushrooms.

IMG_20201102_134950_9CS.jpg

IMG_20200830_112526.jpg

IMG_20200830_091039.jpg

14 hours ago, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

The state releases Info on what gets stocked where and when

Interesting theory about climate change possibly effecting the ability of local ponds to hold over stocked trout. 

I wonder if this climate change is the reason behind all of these mountain lion sightings I’ve read about here in MA :read:

Sorry, but the state DOESN'T care if any fish holdover, because they are stocking fish for the "put & take" industry they now promote. They still stock some fish with the dream that they will reproduce over time, but that's the pike, and the waters where they do reproduce are NOT stocked waters.

That's it in a nutshell...

20 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Sorry, but the state DOESN'T care if any fish holdover, because they are stocking fish for the "put & take" industry they now promote. They still stock some fish with the dream that they will reproduce over time, but that's the pike, and the waters where they do reproduce are NOT stocked waters.

"Holdover" and "reproduce" are two totally different concepts. 

There are very few rivers in Ma suitable for trout reproduction, almost none in the eastern part.

Further, the ponds aren't places trout could ever reproduce. 

"Put and Take" is the ponds and streams where the trout will die by the end of summer if not caught. That applies more to the rivers and brooks that get too low and warm, but some ponds as well.

A good number of the ponds and lakes are deep and cool enough for trout to survive for multiple seasons if they're not caught. They can live for years (don't always grow big). These we call holdovers and they support a very viable year round season. 

18 hours ago, FishermanTim said:

Apparently you missed the joke :sarc:

there was a heavy dose of sarcasm in my posts you quoted bringing reference to exactly what you’ve pointed out. Also referring to the OP and his belief that mountain lions are in New England