bob_G

Ma Fish and Wildlife trout

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Is it my imagination, or is Ma FW growing and stocking less rainbows, and more browns?

For years my trout catch would run about 90% bows.  Now, I'm running about 50/50. 

IMO bows are more fun to catch, fight more.  But browns seem to holdover better, and can be tougher to catch.

Maybe some ponds are no longer capable of holding over bows due to climate change?

My catch rate is about 50/50, browns + brookies to bows this year as well.  For me that's not out of the ordinary.  I wade and tend to use a variety of stick baits and spoons 80% of the time I fish for trout.

The other 20% I use powerbait for bows to take home, I don't see a noticeable decrease in numbers caught compared to years past.  But that's just me.

I've noticed the amount of fishermen out there the last couple of springs, on the other hand, has ballooned for obvious reasons.  Consider, perhaps more people using the power stuff and taking home more bows than in years past?

I've also noticed more cormorants in ponds diving and coming up with trout this year, to the dismay of many of the fishermen.

I fish the kettle ponds for the most part, and occasionally the local brooks.

Are you seeing the bow/brown mix change in moving water, still water or both?  As a fly fishing catch & release fisher, I would like the streams/rivers to be stocked with brown trout rather than bows.  Put the bows in the still water for the put and take fishermen who tend to thin out by May.  The browns will handle the warmer summer temps of the summer.  I would like us to reduce/eliminate stocking of streams with native brook trout populations as well.  Stocked fish will compete for food with the brookies and then likely die anyway.  Give the natives a change to grow.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you look at the stocking page it would appear they stock way more rainbows than browns, which is a trend that has been consistent in recent years.

However this spring they definitely stocked a bunch of brown on the Cape. Brookies too. Not sure why, or if there's even rhyme or reason. 

I  like the browns better for my local kettle ponds. They're harder for the powerbait crowd to catch which has the dual benefits of sending them home sooner and leaving more for me.

They do seem to holdover better.

They also make excellent ice fishing targets, hitting aggressive on both tipups and jigs.

My one complaint is they don't put on much for size in my local pond. At least the rainbows put on some girth feeding on insects. The browns seem like they stay small and skinny unless there's smelt or alewives for forage.

Edited by mikez2

I rarely fish bait. I prefer casting lures. Bows are a lot of fun, and fight better than browns imo.  Since I smoke most of my fishing, bows are a hands down fav.

I live on a lake that browns would hold over extremely well in and probably grow to decent sizes. Depths to 60 ft and the state doesn’t put a single brown into it; only rainbow. It boggles my mind as to why. It was one of the salmon stocked bodies of water when the program was running too. You would think it would be one of the hand full to get browns. 

On a side note they also have taken four rivers and streams here on the south shore off the stocking lists completely, the Jones river, south river, eel river, and beaver dam brook, and there is no explanation I can find for it, maybe in attempt to protect possible salters? 

13 hours ago, CcCstriper89 said:

I live on a lake that browns would hold over extremely well in and probably grow to decent sizes. Depths to 60 ft and the state doesn’t put a single brown into it; only rainbow. It boggles my mind as to why. It was one of the salmon stocked bodies of water when the program was running too. You would think it would be one of the hand full to get browns. 

No browns for you

17 hours ago, bob_G said:

Is it my imagination, or is Ma FW growing and stocking less rainbows, and more browns?

For years my trout catch would run about 90% bows.  Now, I'm running about 50/50. 

IMO bows are more fun to catch, fight more.  But browns seem to holdover better, and can be tougher to catch.

Maybe some ponds are no longer capable of holding over bows due to climate change?

The state releases Info on what gets stocked where and when

Interesting theory about climate change possibly effecting the ability of local ponds to hold over stocked trout. 

I wonder if this climate change is the reason behind all of these mountain lion sightings I’ve read about here in MA :read:

Edited by The BuzzardsBayBruin

43 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

The mountain lions must be eating all the trout. 

that and them there rattlesnakes........

Could make all kinds of innuendo laden cougar jokes right now-but won’t.

I wish the state would find some trout with heat resistant genes like those from northern Mexico, southern Italy, etc.

I honestly think that the Ma stocking program is quite possibly the only state run department that isn’t incompetent. They do a great job keeping me and my kids in trout till the stripers show. I’ve noticed the breed majority seems to change yearly with rainbows always being the most. I would agree though that this year I’m seeing way more sizable brook trout which is fine by me.

Edited by giggyfish

7 mins ago, giggyfish said:

I honestly think that the Ma stocking program is quite possibly the only state run department that isn’t incompetent. They do a great job keeping me and my kids in trout till the stripers show. I’ve noticed the breed majority seems to change yearly with rainbows always being the most. I would agree though that this year I’m seeing way more sizable brook trout which is fine by me.

According to the website 500 browns and 500 brookies over 18 inches.

I forget how many rainbows over 14 inches but it was a huge number. 

Yeah, I like our stocking program. We take advantage of it from ice out to mid May, then back at it late October, all through the otherwise dead zone of November- December, then back again when the ice is safe.

Having figured out which ponds near us have plenty of holdovers, we can get them whenever we want (not counting summer), no matter when they last stocked.