dmac95

Boat Anchor for 3 Knot Current & 18 ft boat

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Have a 18 CC and would like to get an anchor that can wedge into sand/rocky bottom in 3-4knot current. anybody know how heavy I should go?

That's quite a rip you want to anchor in. Be fun trying to pull that baby up once it gets a grip. I'd check with experts at boat shop like West marine, Cabelas, or others. Not Dicks or Walmart, as they won't know chit. Also, make sure you get a good heavy length of chain to help the anchor dig in. 

Standard danforth anchor with 6 ft of chain.  Search anchor size on google, there should be a chart showing the correct size per foot of boat.  I fish a river outflow with similiar current and opted for one size larger anchor.  It generally sticks unless i hit a patch of straight sand, then may drag alittle till it bites.

I may go with a bit longer than 6ft for a an 18 ft cc

But either way, once that thing hooks, chances are your gonna have to run up with boat to get that anchor free. That is good current your anchoring in.

I fish some rips for Tog that are probably just as fast if not faster depending on  how the tide and moon are.  Lost an anchor last year because current was ripping and we couldnt break it free

Heavy chain. 

If anchoring in fast water or an area where you need to stay put the first attempt..... or you life depends on a dig and stay put scenario...

Have a good length of rope and long chain. 

I had a 17' and used 250' of 3/4 twisted nylon, 12' chain. I used a Lewmar delta 14 lb anchor.

Stuck anywhere. 

I put a ball for easier retrieve and a back out rope on a float for those sticky areas.

When I had my 20-foot Sea Ox I used an 8-pound Danforth and 12 feet of heavy chain, and it held in Fire Island Inlet, which has the same sort of current that you're talking about.

But if you want to go with a heavier anchor, I won't disagree.  Alweays better to be too heavy than even a little too light.

37 mins ago, CWitek said:

...Alweays better to be too heavy than even a little too light.

..until you are hauling up from 200+ fow :) 

54 mins ago, CWitek said:

When I had my 20-foot Sea Ox I used an 8-pound Danforth and 12 feet of heavy chain, and it held in Fire Island Inlet, which has the same sort of current that you're talking about.

But if you want to go with a heavier anchor, I won't disagree.  Alweays better to be too heavy than even a little too light.

What is the purpose of the 12 ft chain vs rope?

13 mins ago, dmac95 said:

What is the purpose of the 12 ft chain vs rope?

Holds the anchor shaft more closely parallel to the bottom, and allows it to set better.  And when you set around rocks, the chain resists what would otherwise be inevitable abrasion.

On 4/19/2021 at 5:14 AM, Captain Ahab said:

Get an anchor ball and learn how to use it!!!

right.

do you have storage restrictions/wants - aka - what’ll fit in an anchor locker - or are you looking for a set up that will hold ?

the aforementioned “wm” has a solid 13# anchor, chain, and 200’ of rhode set up. 

get ^^^ and a basic stainless ring and poly ball retrieval set up and a basket to keep it in and you are good to go.

I switched to a Fortress FX7 for my 20’ Robalo bay boat last fall.  The steel Danford type wasn’t holding in inlet and ICW fishing.  The Fortress is Aluminum and technically oversized for a 20’ boat but holds like a champ and is very light.  Doesn’t fit my anchor locker (which is under size for any reasonable anchor) but will fit in one of my dry storage compartments.  I have been real pleased with the Fortress holding ability.  OH

On 5/8/2021 at 7:52 AM, aae0130 said:

A heavy duty trolling motor with spot lock...

Need another 110lbs for two 12v group 31 dcycle batteries.

7 hours ago, dmac95 said:

Need another 110lbs for two 12v group 31 dcycle batteries.

this is getting really off topic, but they sell single 24v or 36v trolling batteries at like 38lbs, believe EricS has one