dansome1

2020 Subaru Outback on a beach with deep soft sand?

46 posts in this topic

X mode locks it into 4WD all time up to 20 mph I think. I never go faster than 10-15 at most. 
I don’t see an issue. My Outback isn’t just AWD, the X mode adds the same 4 wheel drive as other true 4WD .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, Retainer said:

I’ve never used low range in Hatteras, ever. Like I said, I would put it in 4WD then switch to AWD with never an issue, ever, with tires down to 22 psi 

how would an Outback with X mode with about the same clearance be any different if not better since the vehicle is lighter?

Like I said, if you feel confident taking your AWD SUV on the beach....then have at it! 

 

I've had to use 4 wheel low on ramp 43 and ramp 38.  Most of the time my Grand Cherokee cruises in 4x4 high with no issues, but I have needed it. 

 

I never mentioned ground clearance as an issue.  My point was, I would rather have a locking diff/low range than not have it.  I've only ever seen AWD and 2wd stuck - that is my personal experience. 

 

Don't forget your tow strap!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just reading about a Subaru WRX owner who got stuck on the access to the beach just north of Indian River Inlet DE. Someone offered a yank if the owner could find a good spot to secure the rope. The owner hooked up using the wing/spoiler on the back and insisted to the helping driver that it was good to go. Bottom line...he got pulled out......and his trunk got pulled off the car!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, animalbarrie said:

Like I said, if you feel confident taking your AWD SUV on the beach....then have at it! 

 

I've had to use 4 wheel low on ramp 43 and ramp 38.  Most of the time my Grand Cherokee cruises in 4x4 high with no issues, but I have needed it. 

 

I never mentioned ground clearance as an issue.  My point was, I would rather have a locking diff/low range than not have it.  I've only ever seen AWD and 2wd stuck - that is my personal experience. 

 

Don't forget your tow strap!

Listen closely, my Outback has a locking differential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, Retainer said:

Listen closely, my Outback has a locking differential.

Listen closely - no one cares about your Subaru.  Literally everyone is saying if you feel confident driving in deep sand with a Subaru - then have at it!   

Edited by animalbarrie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, animalbarrie said:

Listen closely - no one cares about your Subaru.  Literally everyone is saying if you feel confident driving in deep sand with a Subaru - then have at it!   

Didn’t say I felt confident about it. I was merely pointing out the fact that the car has a feature to lock the differential. No one cared about my Expedition or Tahoe either. Just like nobody cares about your vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 mins ago, Retainer said:

Didn’t say I felt confident about it. I was merely pointing out the fact that the car has a feature to lock the differential. No one cared about my Expedition or Tahoe either. Just like nobody cares about your vehicle.

We get it.  You love your Subaru and you want everyone to know it has a locking diff.  You’ve driven that point home. Nice work!!  
 

Of course no one cares about my Grand Cherokee.  They are a dime a dozen and I see them out on the sand all the time.  
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Frank2104 said:

I was just reading about a Subaru WRX owner who got stuck on the access to the beach just north of Indian River Inlet DE. Someone offered a yank if the owner could find a good spot to secure the rope. The owner hooked up using the wing/spoiler on the back and insisted to the helping driver that it was good to go. Bottom line...he got pulled out......and his trunk got pulled off the car!

Saw one beached on ramp 38 in Avon this past June.  Kid literally made it 50 feet and he was down to the frame.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started this tread with a specific title and description with the hope to hear primarily from owners or witnesses of a 2020-2021 Subaru Outback driven in soft sand.  Good intentions by those who have them are appreciated.  First-hand knowledge and experience even more so.

 

In my own experience on two LI beaches, my stock all season tires, at 16psi, X-Drive on and TC off worked flawlessly.  Your mileage may wary, and you may get stuck, and you already know that.  My car is now lifted 2” for an additional piece of mind though I don’t believe that that’s necessary.

 

I would still like to hear from people who drove or saw this particular model driven on beaches with soft sand, lowered tire pressure enough, turned on X-drive, turned off TC and had a blast or got stuck in a sand beach somewhere, including the conditions that may have contributed.  

 

All of your cars are better than mine.  Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, dansome1 said:

I started this tread with a specific title and description with the hope to hear primarily from owners or witnesses of a 2020-2021 Subaru Outback driven in soft sand.  Good intentions by those who have them are appreciated.  First-hand knowledge and experience even more so.

 

In my own experience on two LI beaches, my stock all season tires, at 16psi, X-Drive on and TC off worked flawlessly.  Your mileage may wary, and you may get stuck, and you already know that.  My car is now lifted 2” for an additional piece of mind though I don’t believe that that’s necessary.

 

I would still like to hear from people who drove or saw this particular model driven on beaches with soft sand, lowered tire pressure enough, turned on X-drive, turned off TC and had a blast or got stuck in a sand beach somewhere, including the conditions that may have contributed.  

 

All of your cars are better than mine.  Thank you 

lets see a pic of it now that it's lifted!

 

also, the WRX/STi aren't really comparable to an Outback when trying to drive it on a beach: different tires, clearance, and some other crap people will argue over (not directed at you, OP).

Edited by runnsfromcops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dansome1 said:

I started this tread with a specific title and description with the hope to hear primarily from owners or witnesses of a 2020-2021 Subaru Outback driven in soft sand.  Good intentions by those who have them are appreciated.  First-hand knowledge and experience even more so.

 

In my own experience on two LI beaches, my stock all season tires, at 16psi, X-Drive on and TC off worked flawlessly.  Your mileage may wary, and you may get stuck, and you already know that.  My car is now lifted 2” for an additional piece of mind though I don’t believe that that’s necessary.

 

I would still like to hear from people who drove or saw this particular model driven on beaches with soft sand, lowered tire pressure enough, turned on X-drive, turned off TC and had a blast or got stuck in a sand beach somewhere, including the conditions that may have contributed.  

 

All of your cars are better than mine.  Thank you 

I’d like to know too, instead of what I keep reading. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't have an Outback, but my 19 Forester is similar.

 

We've driven it all over The National Seashore at Race Point in Mass with no issues at all.

I think the sand there is as deep and soft as most.

 

Certainly as good on the sand as the 2 Grand Cherokees and the Nissan Xterra Pro-4 X that came before it.

The clearance is fine. Of note, the approach and departure angles are not as good as the others, particularly the Xterra.

Meaning in deep whoops like going up of down a torn up dune you can plow with the front or back, normally fine.

 

The little thing just floats over the sand when aired down.

 

My ONLY concern is with heavy use on the sand, hard to see the little parts on these things holding up long term.

 

But to imply your likely to get stuck is absurd  IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, C.Robin said:

If you need to use low on a beach you didn’t air down enough.

Bold statement there, my2500 HD , even aired down to 12 lbs needs to be run in low. The flatbed and dump system is heavy, as is the truck  Carry on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.