Jim McFeeley

Reel recommendation

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I've had good luck with the Sage Spectrum LT 7/8 so far.  Only runs a few pounds of drag but that has been fine for albies and bonefish.  On fleabay you can get a new one with a free flyline which blunts the cost significantly.  At 6oz it is lighter than most 4" spool sealed drag options out there.  That said the Nautilus XL mentioned above is even lighter. 

13 hours ago, BrianDailey said:

Gotta throw in a vote for the Hatch Finatic 7+. The Gen2 seems like an exceptional reel. That may be one you want to look at if you can find one in stock somewhere. I know many places are sold out of the spools right now and the reels are becoming more difficult to find as well.

I have read they were in the middle of rolling out another model at some point this year. (There’s on thread on here about it)

It’ll be interesting to see what that new one looks/performs like.

Good luck in your search!

+1 on the Hatch. Put it through the ringer last summer on Long Island and works like it did right out of the box. Like all reels though, no matter what you get, if you take care of it after fishing in the salt it will take care of you. 

I like the Tibors and wouldn't be afraid of the weight.  I have an Everglades on a 7 wt Zane Pro and it balances where I like when at rest.

I am a fan of Lamson for best reel for the price.  Especially discontinued Litespeed models that are easily found on the inter-web.  If you think you need to spend lots of money/or simply want to (I do that that too) then you can't go wrong with any American made fly reels north of $500......Tibor, Abel, Hatch, Nautilus, and others.  These will serve you well and none is really better than the other, just different. I, personally, want to get an Islander or Pate because they are classic beauties.

:agree: I recently picked up a Waterworks Lamson Litespeed 3 at STP and like it. Very Light ... maybe too light for some rods (depending on hand placement) ... but works GREAT for me on a 10'6" Hardy Demon Switch rod.

I try to buy reels made in the USA for purely nationalist reasons (also my current job is all about manufacturing stuff in the USA). Love the Bauers but they sold out to Winston. My favorite reels are Tibors & Islanders ... but the new wave Ross Evolution R Salt is quite the piece of machinery as well.

My 20+ year old Litespeed 2s and 4 have never jammed in any way. They see Alaska every year, Washington/Oregon the rest, bass, and trout to 30 inches on the twos, salmon, steelhead, pike, spey etc. on the 4. They ain't pretty being the original grey finish, show some scabs, and they are tender to abuse, but they work. Love my Sage 3500. The Nautilus G 7/8, or 8/9 are great reels at any price, as are the Galvin Torques. I know an old gentleman that has gotten good service from upper end  Pfleugers and Orvis Battenkills, lots of good reels out there, G Loomis sold a strange champagne colored reel 20+ years ago that had a lot of fans, they were $100 reels.

I fish Florida's saltwater almost every day of the year. For 4 years my Solitude 4 has never had a glitch with the benefit of no annoying ratcheting noise. Tough finish and impervious to corrosion in my estimation.