NolaGT

Tsunami Airwave Elite Surf setup questions

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wanted to get some feedback on these rods and if they will work well in my potential applications in the gulf coast surf, mainly Gulf Shores AL.  I know most are probably using these rods up north in different applications but I'm hoping some on here can shed some lite.

What I'm looking for is a set of rods to cover my usual surf fishing techniques and targets.  From tossing hard plastic baits to soaking some cut or live bait.

8'8" M to pair with a Spinfisher VI 3500 with 15lb braid  to throw mostly hard plastic suspending twitch, top water jerk or poppers, lipid crank baits, pompano jigs, gotcha plugs, kastmaster spoons.  Does it throw the lighter stuff well?  These particular lures have some 1/2 and above sizes but some have under 1/2oz sizes.  Some will be a fast retrieve and some popping and retrieve. 

9'6" M with a 4500 VI and 20lb braid to throw the same as above but in the larger sizes.

11' M with a 5500 VI and 30lb braid for using a 1-2oz pyramid sinker with bait like fresh dead shrimp, sand fleas, fish bites for pompano, whiting, reds, or the likes whether it's up close in the first trough or out too and beyond the first sandbar.

11' 4" XH with a 6500 VI and 40lb Braid for soaking cut or live bait for larger Redfish, Black drum, or smaller sharks.  I currently have the Spinfisher 6500 combo so I'm looking to replace that rod that is listed as a 10' H 1-5.  I was looking at the airwave 11' H but I don't know if the 1-12 to 4-1/2oz lure is enough?  I usually toss the combo with a 3oz weight...but in rougher current id have to go up or use a sputnik type to dig in the sand.

TIA

EDIT to add another option I was considering

I already have the St Croix Mojo inshore 7'11" in a M and MH that I could run in place of the 8'8" and 9'6" setups above.

St Croix Avid Surf 10'M in place of the 11'M from above

St Croix Avid Surf 11'MH in place of the 11'XH from above.

Edited by NolaGT

2 hours ago, redfin said:

I can speak on the 8’8”. For that lures range I think it is perfect. Your choice of reel....perfect.

Thanks for the feedback!

I think the Avid setup from my first post might be too stiff?  I was also looking at the ODM DNA 10'6" M and the 11' XH.  As you can see I don't really know what I want lol.  No one around me in Louisiana carries any of these to go handel so I have to do it based on reading about them.

I think you're spot on with the 9'6 and 11' as well. I have both of those rods - the 9'6" is paired with a Penn VI 4500BLS (30# Sufix 832) and the 11' is paired with a SaltX6000 (40# Sufix 832). I think you'll be happy with the options you selected.

Thanks for the feedback!  I have suffix 832 as well in ghost. 

I guess my only pause with them is the cracking of epoxy around the Handel area and the guides along with the company seeming to be more miss than hit when it comes to any warranty issues. 

Am I to just expect these issues?

I've owned a 10'6 Airwave Elite for at least 5-6 years now and it gets used A LOT. Yes, the epoxy will develop a crack, but I can tell you with 100% confidence it's not an issue. I am in NJ and my rod/reel gets very wet between my fishing in NJ, NY, CT, and Massachusetts. There hasn't been any rot/rust or any other issues around the epoxy cracks. They're hairline cracks for the most part. I also have the 8'8 and regularly throw 1/2-5/8oz lures on it, and absolutely love the rod. 

I love my St Croix's as well but these Avid rods are super super fast and stiff rods. Not my personal favorite...

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

I've owned a 10'6 Airwave Elite for at least 5-6 years now and it gets used A LOT. Yes, the epoxy will develop a crack, but I can tell you with 100% confidence it's not an issue. I am in NJ and my rod/reel gets very wet between my fishing in NJ, NY, CT, and Massachusetts. There hasn't been any rot/rust or any other issues around the epoxy cracks. They're hairline cracks for the most part. I also have the 8'8 and regularly throw 1/2-5/8oz lures on it, and absolutely love the rod. 

I love my St Croix's as well but these Avid rods are super super fast and stiff rods. Not my personal favorite...

That just bothers me knowing its going to happen...idk why but it does.  Like here buy this nice new car...btw the paint will come off shortly lol.

What about Star rods...I like there life time warranty.  The Paraflex 10'6" 3/4-4 and the 11' 3-8 OR VPR 10'6" 3/4-4 and the 11' 3-8?  Stiffer than the AWE, about the same?  I don't want a broomstick but I don't want a noodle...I want to be able to cast lures with ease and cast cut or live bait with out ripping it off the hook

Edited by NolaGT

1 hour ago, NolaGT said:

That just bothers me knowing its going to happen...idk why but it does.  Like here buy this nice new car...btw the paint will come off shortly lol.

What about Star rods...I like there life time warranty.  The Paraflex 10'6" 3/4-4 and the 11' 3-8 OR VPR 10'6" 3/4-4 and the 11' 3-8?  Stiffer than the AWE, about the same?  I don't want a broomstick but I don't want a noodle...I want to be able to cast lures with ease and cast cut or live bait with out ripping it off the hook

I have a couple STAR Paraflex and Tsunami AWE's and prefer the moderate action of the AWE's I have (8'8, 9'6, 11' 1-4oz) for most situations. The STAR warranty is great and I've used it twice. I've never had an AWE break on me and I use them daily. The Paraflex 10'6 is a nice rod but not as moderate as the AWE 11' 1-4. The Paraflex 11' 3-8 is my canal jigging rod and has been flawless throwing jigs up to 6oz and quickly landing large bass in heavy current.

My go to rod for just about everywhere outside the canal is the AWE 9'6 which I've had since 2017. 

12 mins ago, beerdoh said:

I have a couple STAR Paraflex and Tsunami AWE's and prefer the moderate action of the AWE's I have (8'8, 9'6, 11' 1-4oz) for most situations. The STAR warranty is great and I've used it twice. I've never had an AWE break on me and I use them daily. The Paraflex 10'6 is a nice rod but not as moderate as the AWE 11' 1-4. The Paraflex 11' 3-8 is my canal jigging rod and has been flawless throwing jigs up to 6oz and quickly landing large bass in heavy current.

My go to rod for just about everywhere outside the canal is the AWE 9'6 which I've had since 2017. 

Which reel do you have paired with the AWE 9'6?

Last year it was a VR50. Year before it was a VR150. This year probably a Visser #4. Makes for a very light setup. Spinfisher 4500 also pairs well with that rod. 

4 hours ago, beerdoh said:

I am assuming your AWEs have the crack since you had them for a while and use them quite a bit?  I am not sure how the VPRs are compared to the paraflex in the moderate department, ill look into that some more if no one one replies in here about it.  The bigger rod in my lineup 3-8 would solely be for chunking live or cut bait im pretty sure.  I think its better to have a more moderate rod for that so you don't rip rip off the bait trying to cast?  I might just end up with the AWE anyway...still mulling it around while I read and reply lol.  Thanks for the input!

Just now, NolaGT said:

I am assuming your AWEs have the crack since you had them for a while and use them quite a bit?  I am not sure how the VPRs are compared to the paraflex in the moderate department, ill look into that some more if no one one replies in here about it.  The bigger rod in my lineup 3-8 would solely be for chunking live or cut bait im pretty sure.  I think its better to have a more moderate rod for that so you don't rip rip off the bait trying to cast?  I might just end up with the AWE anyway...still mulling it around while I read and reply lol.  Thanks for the input!

The epoxy just above the foregrip cracked and after 4 years got bad enough where I decided to repair it. I think they just use too much epoxy there. I just bought a SaltX 9'6 and they use a lot less in that spot. Speaking of, I did some casting with both the AWE and SaltX yesterday and am hard pressed to feel a difference. Both load up and cast amazingly well. I only bought the SaltX to try something different. You can't go wrong with the AWE.

Dang why do they all have to crack like that LOL.  Did you go back with less epoxy when you fixed it...held up better now?  Thanks for the info. 

2 hours ago, NolaGT said:

Dang why do they all have to crack like that LOL.  Did you go back with less epoxy when you fixed it...held up better now?  Thanks for the info. 

I added epoxy over the crack and then put some electrical tape over it after the epoxy dried. It doesn't cause any issues with the action of the rod. It's just a cosmetic thing. 

4 hours ago, Chrishockey said:

I added epoxy over the crack and then put some electrical tape over it after the epoxy dried. It doesn't cause any issues with the action of the rod. It's just a cosmetic thing. 

Well, I will be finding out on my own now I just ordered a whole bunch of goodies lol.  A set of 6 rods (2 11'm and 2 11.4xh) and some spin fishers as listed in my OP.  Thanks for the feedback...ill be casting these with luck starting next weekend for a few days along the coast.