Chrishockey

Seals VS Stripers

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

So I was out fishing the other night and there was bait popping all around but I just couldn't catch anything. It was pretty frustrating but that's just how it goes sometimes. After giving the spot a good couple of hours of casts and some distance covered, I started to see something in the distance. Some sort of big creature has popped there head up from the water. Is it a bird? A plane? No just a fat seal destroying bunker pods. Does anybody have any input? I would love to hear some stories. 

need to go back to seal hunting.... they will stalk you until either a) they spook the fish away b) they steal the fish you are trying to land c) they get the fish you recently released. 

I don't know the exact numbers, but based on seeing them around it looks like their population is increasing every season. Worse yet, they are not afraid to be near people and seam to get closer to people each year. 

not to mention the side effects of increased sharks in the area which seems to increase each year too. 

How much a seal or two seal affect the fishing is debatable. Other than pushing bait closer to shore I doubt they help. When the seal population get out of control in a n area, then I believe the fishing and bait movement is most affected. Look at the outer cape beaches. I just wonder at what point will the states do something about it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, redfin said:

Look at the outer cape beaches. I just wonder at what point will the states do something about it.

They did. They closed all the beaches to the public and opened them for the seals.

Rodney Dangerfield Gets Some Respect - Legacy.com

Edited by Lou T

lol, I run into seals, when I see them I usually move spots, never had alot of luck catching Bass when seals are prowling around. Ive seen some really large seals alot closer to shore over the past few years.

Seals at night make a very eerie noise when they exhale after surfacing, scared the tar out of me and my buddies on a few night trips. I heard all this wailing going on, loud raspy breathing from all around me. turned on my headlight, seals were just chilling. so I left and fished somewhere else. One of my buddies wont go night fishing now which I find pretty funny.

I’m in Delaware and we usually don’t have seals into April. Maybe because it’s been a lot colder than past years but they are still hanging around. I was walking out on a jetty and the seal was a rock away from me before I saw him and it scared the **** out of me. He definitely didn’t give a crap that I was there. 

I was in a pretty decent striper bite the other night, when it died unexpectedly. Couldn't figure out why until a seal popped up about 15 feet in front of the rock I was standing on.

Fished Nantucket a few years back and you couldn't land a fish, they would steal the fish and plug every time.    Got so bad you had to find a beach where there were no seals to have a chance to catch.  Rat Bastards!! 

1 hour ago, MEF said:

I was in a pretty decent striper bite the other night, when it died unexpectedly. Couldn't figure out why until a seal popped up about 15 feet in front of the rock I was standing on.

That will do it.

Something is gonna give soon.

HH

There's a video by Peter laurelli where he chronicles his fly fishing in and around the northeast.  In one of his fantastically well done pieces that I wish he would continue......

an overhead of a seal running the gently sloping sand flats of what I presume to be the cape you can clearly see the behavior of striped bass in the presence of a feeding seal and what they do is unexpected.  

In the video, as the seal runs down the beach, the entire school of bass, hundreds thick, dispersed as the seal approached and then took chase immediately on the rear of the seal.

Suprising.......

One by one by 10 by 50 fish followed in tow of the seal and it expressed to me two things.   Schooling behind the feeding seal, the bass were both avoiding the business end of the seal's appetite and also picking off the scraps as it fed and so, a symbiotic relationship became more apparent to me than I ever imagined.  I'd imagine this scenario is case sensitive but none the less telling in the dynamic nature of what we can only see from shore and what may actually be happening.

You'd be surprised how little we as shore bound anglers actually know of the natural world without a desire to seek further....

The food chain at work. Big problems if the system is out of balance. It clearly is. Start shooting them. We’ve been waiting for 20 years for government intervention. Government malfunction caused this problem. Wanna keep waiting ?