Roccus7

Heads Up for those of you considering a vacation home in Maine

Rate this topic

162 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fist thing O'Biden and the Hoe did was repeal all of Trumps good things.  the SALT limit is still there and  it should be eliminated . I will say that it was set way too low for the majority of people. $10,000. may be OK if you live in Alabama in a tar paper shack, but anywhere with crazy Property taxes like all of the Northeast it does no even come close to what you could write off. perhaps raise it to something more realistic like $100,000.  It has also killed Charitable Donations as back when I was able to work I would give away lots more than the SALT every year as I was able to take the tax deduction.  now if your running your own business, and I wish I was physically able to, you can deduct any expenses for things you use in business and make charitable contributions from your business account, but your home is still limited by that low SALT.   I see a lot of people that are on this forum living in NH & Mass and the Property taxes are really wacked out down there.  Yea, I have lived in Many different states some more expensive some less, but one should always go for the lesser of taxes as most politicians just piss it away on things that are not needed. hell you properly pay more in Vechical Excise taxes than the SALT alone

Edited by TheBoat

Liberals think that just because someone works their ass off 12-16 hours a day 7 days a week for years doing High risk jobs, that required lots of education to do,  spending most of their life living out of ****** hotels and airports and away at sea for months on Boats in the NAVY. that they should just give away everything they earned.  well they call all go screw themselves . I have had to shovel a lot of **** in my life and these liberal arts ******s would not know a honest days work if it landed on them.   Hey you have a Commie censoring English American words. that I typed.

Manure Gif.gif

Edited by TheBoat

23 mins ago, TheBoat said:

Liberals think that just because someone works their ass off 12-16 hours a day 7 days a week for years doing High risk jobs, that required lots of education to do,  spending most of their life living out of ****** hotels and airports and away at sea for months on Boats in the NAVY. that they should just give away everything they earned.  well they call all go screw themselves . I have had to shovel a lot of **** in my life and these liberal arts ******s would not know a honest days work if it landed on them.   Hey you have a Commie censoring English American words. that I typed.

Manure Gif.gif

I am really doing my best to stay with you, but I have to admit I got kinda lost trying to follow this one... :huh:

You make a lot of generalizations and offer very little in the way of constructive ideas.   Repealing SALT is on the table, by the way.  All the great stuff Trump did?  I guess he was ok for a moron, incompetent criminal and charlatan.

10 hours ago, TheBoat said:

Manure Gif.gif

Hey BOAT take your political CRAP, over to the Political Forum and post it over there,you will have lot's of company over there and Trump lovers and supporters of that  POS TRUMP.

Edited by Doodle

On 4/29/2021 at 9:44 AM, Topside2 said:

People can be taxed on what they own, earn or spend.  Mainie already taxes all three. A recent study found that Maine ranked No. 4 in the U.S. for the highest portion of personal income going to state and local taxes as a portion of personal income.  At the same time,  Maine ranks a dismal 35th in per capita income.  I am a non-resident and own a cottage in Harpswell where a whopping 34% of the 2020 town property tax revenues came from non-residents (who use very few services and contribute to dollars to the local economy in all sorts of ways).  That seems like a lot.  Is the solution really to ask non-residents to pay more?  I do agree that revenue from rentals should be taxed.

Conclusions?  Well, I am reluctant to tell another state how to run their economy.  You tell me?

Can Maine residents even afford to live in Harpswell?

21 hours ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

We should round you up and send you away! Be gone troll what's your legal right to Maine? Be gone, we dont need the likes of you! We'd like to send you back on a boat! Your taxes are but a pittance!

21 hours ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

Long after the naysayers and the johny come latelys will be the people who continue to keep this place going! Dont like it GTFO! Money is no measure of a man, if you think paying taxes is meaningful, pity on your pathetic life. Get out and go fishing and figure out what matters.

Maine could not survive without the tax dollars and tourism income from the “out of staters”. 

You should be thankful they exist to fund  your Liberal $hithole policies.

Hopefully LePage can come back and turn things around for,you. 

2 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

Maine could not survive without the tax dollars and tourism income from the “out of staters”. 

Enjoy your state, I enjoy mine! :)

Edited by Sea Of Atlas

But, on a per capita basis, less populous western states net more tourist spending per resident.

By the U.S. Travel Association's estimates, Maine received $2,627 in tourism spending for every resident of the state in 2013. That's less than any other New England state save Rhode Island.

Maine does, however, rank highly among the states in how much it spends on tourism marketing and promotion.

The Maine Office of Tourism's budget in 2013 was $9.6 million, which amounts to $7.38 from every resident. According to data from the travel industry website Skift.com, which compiled the tourism marketing budgets for 50 state governments and the District of Columbia in 2013, Maine ranked 6th among the 50 states for how much its taxpayers spend per capita on tourism marketing.

As a total percentage of the gross state product, tourism expenditures only represent 6.39% of the state's entire economy. In Florida, tourism spending adds up to about a tenth of the economy. And in Nevada and Hawaii, tourism makes up a quarter of those states' gross income.

6 hours ago, Doodle said:

Hey BOAT take your political CRAP, over to the Political Forum and post it over there,you will have lot's of company over there and Trump lovers and supporters of that  POS TRUMP.

Hey Doodle, Trump lost, we are on the Tim Scott bandwagon. You should be the one to let go of Trump and move on. 

6 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

This comes from a dirt bag who plays with dolls, stay the ***** out of here if you dont like it.. You have more issues than a pregnant nun..

Sheesh, should have realized that this thread would go off the rails quickly, my bad.  I probably should have sat on my hands, but I just wanted the folks considering buying a second house up here were cognizant of this potential, additional fee to their investment.  Regrettably, like anything else these days, it has ended up being a jihad of political diatribes.

Personally, I look at the "fee" as a possible deterrent to help stem the COVID-fueled torrent of folks buying vacation homes up here.  Yes, I moved "from away" to retire in Maine in 12 years ago, but I never felt that I had the right, nor need to "change" things.  I felt I had the responsibility to respect and embrace the local culture.

This new crop of PFAs doesn't seem to be as understanding when moving to rural areas.  Besides complaining about poor cell phone service, no Uber, no GrubHub, no Waze, nearest Starbucks 40 miles away, etc., they whine about things like, "Should we put some speed bumps in?" referring to a country lane that leads to the local beach, just because they bought a house on that road during the winter and didn't realize that it gets busy during the summer.  Other "gems" like this are people who buy houses near working fishing docks like a lobster Co-Op and complain about the early morning noise and smell, banding together and exhorting local governments to prevent early morning noise so they can get their beauty rest.  The net result is hilarious and predictable, because most of the local selectmen are lobstermen working out of the "targeted" Co-Ops...

Obviously "Citiots" need to be edumacated on the reality of living along a rural coastal area with a hard working marine tradition.  It's extremely presumptuous to assume you can move somewhere and insist it changes to meet your own, personal requirements.  The smart person moves and embraces the culture, both good and bad, of their selected location.

Edited by Roccus7

All Wells that End in Wells?  Thank Allah  that the GPS Navigation System was fully functional after it was upgraded to find the perfect fishing spot using Nancy Pelosies  Laptop that she negligently left unattended while searching for a Soft Serve ice cream.     The TimTim ( Had to be changed as TomTom was politically unsuitable for Indians, I mean Native Indiginous tribes who have dug clams usually at low tide in this coastal Vacationland State for a while until the Red Tide  came with "People from Away"   (That means anyone who had not lived in Maine for at least 10 million years.)   So, Ayah as they say down east when they go Upta Camp.   There are a lotta Chowdaheads out there.  PS: This in not an isolated incident. Thousands of cars have been left on autopilot and driven off piers, roads that negligently have just terminated due to something like an Ocean in the way and such.

Wells Car.jpg

8 hours ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

But, on a per capita basis, less populous western states net more tourist spending per resident.

By the U.S. Travel Association's estimates, Maine received $2,627 in tourism spending for every resident of the state in 2013. That's less than any other New England state save Rhode Island.

Maine does, however, rank highly among the states in how much it spends on tourism marketing and promotion.

The Maine Office of Tourism's budget in 2013 was $9.6 million, which amounts to $7.38 from every resident. According to data from the travel industry website Skift.com, which compiled the tourism marketing budgets for 50 state governments and the District of Columbia in 2013, Maine ranked 6th among the 50 states for how much its taxpayers spend per capita on tourism marketing.

As a total percentage of the gross state product, tourism expenditures only represent 6.39% of the state's entire economy. In Florida, tourism spending adds up to about a tenth of the economy. And in Nevada and Hawaii, tourism makes up a quarter of those states' gross income.

So, you are saying Maine spends the most to attract the least (per capital) tax dollars?

Any data on how much in property taxes are paid by non-residents?