Roccus7

Heads Up for those of you considering a vacation home in Maine

Rate this topic

162 posts in this topic

47 mins ago, jonesg said:

Thats the problem of retiring too close to the rat race over the border.

We drove 5 hours north of Boston and started visiting realtor offices once we got here.

Tax is 1000 yr.

Theres plenty of work around here, not a lot of jobs but just try finding an electrician who calls back or someone to build a set of steps or a pole barn. Everyones too busy already.

With covid converting many jobs to telecommuting the local housing mkt tightened, prices are way up.

 

 

Saw a 900sf house in Greenwood, maybe a 1500sf lot listed for over $550K! Yeah it sits on a lake but that's just crazy money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most Maine  towns are taxing the land at the highest level and keeping actual structure low on properties with anything to do with lakes, rivers or beaches. At one point I was going to volunteer for the budget committee and after spending months or reports and seeing their procees of creating a budget, I decided it was not the way I would have done things. Ex. We have a beach fund, a harbor fund and recreation fund that moves money for shortfalls with little effort to correct. Bids are not bid correctly, or go to bid correctly with way too many ways to back door extra charges. No performance bonds ?  Our harbor fund has the least expensive ocean access mooring fees of anywhere in the North east. In most cases, 1/3 of what it should be. Its just easier to tax and spend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jonesg said:

Thats the problem of retiring too close to the rat race over the border.

We drove 5 hours north of Boston and started visiting realtor offices once we got here.

Tax is 1000 yr.

Theres plenty of work around here, not a lot of jobs but just try finding an electrician who calls back or someone to build a set of steps or a pole barn. Everyones too busy already.

With covid converting many jobs to telecommuting the local housing mkt tightened, prices are way up.

 

 

You in the county jonesg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the county.

What town? I used to do service work for Fraser Papers in Madawaska and have driven around much of the county.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RAW said:

Most Maine  towns are taxing the land at the highest level and keeping actual structure low on properties with anything to do with lakes, rivers or beaches. At one point I was going to volunteer for the budget committee and after spending months or reports and seeing their procees of creating a budget, I decided it was not the way I would have done things. Ex. We have a beach fund, a harbor fund and recreation fund that moves money for shortfalls with little effort to correct. Bids are not bid correctly, or go to bid correctly with way too many ways to back door extra charges. No performance bonds ?  Our harbor fund has the least expensive ocean access mooring fees of anywhere in the North east. In most cases, 1/3 of what it should be. Its just easier to tax and spend

Have to respectfully disagree.  According to this from the Wells Harbor Master, you aren't the cheapest in Maine, since my harbor's fee is only $35 a year, and not dependent on size...

 

The harbor can moor 150 vessels with lengths up to 42 feet allowed. Vessels are placed on double point moorings or floats. A waiting list exists for a mooring. Fees are $250 base and $15 a foot including extensions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Have to respectfully disagree.  According to this from the Wells Harbor Master, you aren't the cheapest in Maine, since my harbor's fee is only $35 a year, and not dependent on size...

 

The harbor can moor 150 vessels with lengths up to 42 feet allowed. Vessels are placed on double point moorings or floats. A waiting list exists for a mooring. Fees are $250 base and $15 a foot including extensions.

According to my findings of boat dockage based on 5 quotes from Kittery to Saco ,Wells was in some cases $1000 or more less. I brought the info to the Harbormaster and the 2 previous. The calculated yearly shortfall is 50-60 thousand a year for the past 12 years.. Last year the dockage was not filled due to Covid and many did not pay. We have a waiting list as its so cheap. The renters ability to also park at the beach lot take up other income. Do not know if you get aluminum docks, water, electric , key pad and security for $35. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jonesg said:

Thats the problem of retiring too close to the rat race over the border.

We drove 5 hours north of Boston and started visiting realtor offices once we got here.

Tax is 1000 yr.

 

 

You did not drive far enough for No Property - Sales - Utilities  MV - State income -Taxes   And permanent fund Check. Heat Fuel Subsidy/ Free to do as You please. And no liberal Socialists illegals in Sight Till The Snow Melts revealing a few.    

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 hours ago, jonesg said:

 

 

 

CAMP 5.jpg

cabin 1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 mins ago, RAW said:

According to my findings of boat dockage based on 5 quotes from Kittery to Saco ,Wells was in some cases $1000 or more less. I brought the info to the Harbormaster and the 2 previous. The calculated yearly shortfall is 50-60 thousand a year for the past 12 years.. Last year the dockage was not filled due to Covid and many did not pay. We have a waiting list as its so cheap. The renters ability to also park at the beach lot take up other income. Do not know if you get aluminum docks, water, electric , key pad and security for $35. 

Your original quote of Our harbor fund has the least expensive ocean access mooring fees of anywhere in the North east. In most cases, 1/3 of what it should be is what I disagreed with. 

 

I do agree that Wells' fees are very reasonable, especially for "Northern Massachusetts, I mean Southern Maine, but your data set of 5 quotes is far too small for your original sweeping statement.

 

For the record, $35 up here gets you 2 years worth of mooring your boat, bring your own mooring, space at a dock to tie up your tender, gear and passenger loading/off loading space at a dock and parking.  Barebones, yes, but won't bankrupt anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, probably jumped to a little too large a demographic range. I checked, got paperwork from Kennebunk, Saco, Ogunquit, Kittery and Westerly RI. . In the local area, Kennebunk was $3000-$4500 a year for 27" footer, Saco area started at $2800. Ogunquit had nothing, Kittery spaces were $2700 and up. Westerly R.I. was $3300 and up. I'm not against the Capt.. getting a good rate,  But with rates from $700 -$1000 it's an absolute give away. Nasty slips in Oswego or Pulaski NY are $600 a month, slightly less for seasonal. Many who rent the docks come early in May/June, leave then return to Maine with boat still docked as its so cheap, New docks, restrooms, parking. A no brainer. Some  come and sleep on their boat. Wells says its the friendliest town in Maine, and that's at a cost to homeowners. I recommended raising the seasonal fee's and/ or offering a monthly rate with a seasonal rate return in 3 months. Same old story, not my money and we can tax more:rav:

Copy of The boat002.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ken r said:

That's the county.

What town? I used to do service work for Fraser Papers in Madawaska and have driven around much of the county.

Island Falls.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jonesg said:

Island Falls.

 

Nice town. If I was to live in Maine, it would be up that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.