Roccus7

Heads Up for those of you considering a vacation home in Maine

Rate this topic

162 posts in this topic

My 33' of water front is $1,000 a month. $12,000 a year from the $2800 when we bought, not easy to plan for when you retire./ Florida shortly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, stormy monday said:

Lol. I moved to NH from Maine, can't wait to move back. $14k in property tax to get pretty much nothing for it, not a good deal if you're retired. I know your town is different. My waterfront house in Maine is $4k in property tax, and that dreaded income tax isn't that bad once retired because unlike property tax your income tax goes down if your income goes down. NH advantage....ugh.

You moved the wrong town.  Why didnt you move to a town with  a lower rate like I did?

We chose a town with a very low rate.

My state tax loss each year is low low low.

11 hours ago, stormy monday said:

Lol. I moved to NH from Maine, can't wait to move back. $14k in property tax to get pretty much nothing for it, not a good deal if you're retired. I know your town is different. My waterfront house in Maine is $4k in property tax, and that dreaded income tax isn't that bad once retired because unlike property tax your income tax goes down if your income goes down. NH advantage....ugh.

Sounds like you've got a big spread to pay $14k in taxes. My property taxes in North Conway run $3400/yr.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Little.   I dont have Waterfront Property and would never be able to afford the taxes on it.  You must be way up in Maine somewhere to only pay $4k in property taxes.  Are you like in Eatsport , Machiasport or Cutler  next to New Brunswick?   I had an offer to be stationed in Cutler when I was in the NAVY but I heard that there was nothing up there except for the SONAR Base.   Its gone now as we now have Boots on the Ground with Hunter Biden in the USSR watching out for our national security.  The local Lobstermen keep complaining that they are getting the traps wrapped around the Radio towers and  are now afraid they wont be able to navigate between 1 mile separated windmills.  Hell I have a almost New Raytheon LORAN that will work just fine.

Years ago before most of you were born the Property taxes in Southern NH were about 20 times higher for an identical house built by the same ****** builder as he was building in Mass.  NH property taxes were not affordable anywhere except for Seabrook in the shadow of the Nuke Power Plant where no one wanted to live.  and the commute to NH was Crazy!   It would take 2 hours from Nauseous Newd Hampster to Boston down rt 3,  just not doable.  so I crossed that off my list.   and Commuting to Cambridge from Southern Maine. faggetaboutit.  its 3 hours on a good day.   so I decided not to do that.

Cutlet.png

Edited by TheBoat
If the Sun came up in the west we would all be screwed. Have lived in places where that has happened.

6 hours ago, Little said:

You moved the wrong town.  Why didnt you move to a town with  a lower rate like I did?

We chose a town with a very low rate.

My state tax loss each year is low low low.

A lot of people, once the kids are out of HS, move from my town to yours, or if they're millionaires to Newcastle. While I was in my working life taxes were not the main thing that influenced where I bought, and given the prices houses here are fetching I think I selected well! But when I stop working that property tax isn't going down, so time to say adios. I've lived right on the coast in several states, honestly the summer traffic makes me a nasty person by August or so, and places like Nottingham or the various FreeState bastions don't do it for me. I have an acre on a lake in Maine so I'll be going back there at least to start. The plan was to rebuild Maine house to make it a little nicer, but current material costs put that at $450/sf so we can "rough it" for a while and see what happens. Like a lot of people I know around here "downsizing" is not as easy to accomplish as it seems without some major compromises! You should be seeing some stripers in a couple weeks yehaa!

1 hour ago, Kings over Queens said:

Listening to you guys makes me thin NJ isn't all that bad. :laugh:

My fishing buddies all say that. Then again they all live here now lol....

NJ has a lot of great places from what I've seen of it, like most places. 

Breaking news!!!! Portland is spending 19 million for homeless shelter for 200/ or about about $100 ,000 each. Medical facilities, kitchen, social areas, and on and on, Then they offered building 400 houses for them. Then more space will be needed for the immigrants. 

6 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

Can you NH guys tell us your mil rates?

I want to put this in perspective. 

Can range from $6.30 in Newcastle to $40.72 in Claremont (2020 rates).

4 hours ago, RAW said:

Breaking news!!!! Portland is spending 19 million for homeless shelter for 200/ or about about $100 ,000 each. Medical facilities, kitchen, social areas, and on and on, Then they offered building 400 houses for them. Then more space will be needed for the immigrants. 

Yep. 

But as one of the locals here told us, they have a vibrant economy with all kinds of corporations that pay taxes. No need to soak the out of staters or those with vacation homes. 

Plenty to go around. 

14 hours ago, ken r said:

Sounds like you've got a big spread to pay $14k in taxes. My property taxes in North Conway run $3400/yr.

Depends a lot on the town and what SAU you're in, as well as how much commercial property is in your town. Newington is a good example of that, and actually so is North Conway. SAU 16 is pricey and my town has little commercial property. I don't mind, the way out of staters are buying up my neighborhood I'm going to do just fine, but that kind of hit can eat your savings up once you retire. Most people in SAU 16 unload when the kids are out and head for Rye lately.

On 5/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, RAW said:

There's a distinct difference in legal and illegal, There a difference in who pays. Maine funds should be for Mainers, not for  bleeding hearts choosing to fund it with out approval. Amazing how someone said its because of election results, Case closed. 

Don't shoot the messenger as the Illegals Pour across the border. States Cities Towns are using the Tax dollars not budgeted for or even Voter Approved but Voting people to manage the taxes.  So called Nonprofits Tax Exempt organizations are funding the Illegal migration the Biggest is The Churches. the Liberal Wing of Society. who have no body controlling the Collected Cash. 

Unfortunately Mainers Voted in politicians to Run & Manage the Funds . You gave the Approval and YES it is the Result of Elections it is not Amazing Just sad.  

On 5/2/2021 at 8:50 PM, RAW said:

My 33' of water front is $1,000 a month. $12,000 a year from the $2800 when we bought, not easy to plan for when you retire./ Florida shortly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats the problem of retiring too close to the rat race over the border.

We drove 5 hours north of Boston and started visiting realtor offices once we got here.

Tax is 1000 yr.

Theres plenty of work around here, not a lot of jobs but just try finding an electrician who calls back or someone to build a set of steps or a pole barn. Everyones too busy already.

With covid converting many jobs to telecommuting the local housing mkt tightened, prices are way up.